Leaving Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm
Alright everyone, it's official. I have my ship date, and job classification for the Navy.

My last day as a free man will be September 7, 2010. Where I'll be shipped off from my MEPS center to Great Lakes IL for basic training.

After that, only the government knows where I'll be.

As for those of you who can't discern discussion topics via the original statement, here you go: Military service and you, what I should do before leaving, what YOU would do before leaving, think it's too soon, not soon enough, and will you all write to me?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:35 pm
We must cherish these remaining months with an Arcanas around... gonk  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm
For me -not- to post here would be just wrong.

Look, dude. I couldn't persuade you otherwise, so I guess I'll just go for giving you advice.

Basic: It's a mind game. A mind ********, really. You'll feel like you're back in high school... only the teachers yell at you and make you do push-ups. Don't call them by name. They hate that. Just "Petty Officer" or "Chief". Learn your ranks, damn it. Forgetting those is just bad business. It's two months of landmarks. You'll think "Okay, I just have to make it to Sunday." Then, "Make it to the next inspection." And before you know it "Graduation is on Friday... Awesome!" You'll learn a lot about yourself.

PT: Do it. Often. After basic, don't stop. You'll be in the best shape of your life if you've never worked out before. So keep it that way. The physical portion of basic isn't THAT hard, but you have to keep your will about you. It's all about endurance.

DON'T: Volunteer. If you haven't heard already, NAVY stands for Never Again Volunteer Yourself. You've already signed your life away. Don't sign over any of your free time for stupid menial tasks. If somebody asks "Okay, I need this many volunteers" you just sit there and let somebody else get it. The good deals don't come around very often. Don't chance it.

DO: Make friends. The easiest way to make it through this s**t is to have people to talk to. If no other reason than just to pass the time. The entire Navy is a "Hurry up! And wait..." kind of deal. So keep your patience with you too.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT: Let yourself get depressed. If you fall in one rut, the Navy keeps going. Before long you feel like you're getting behind in everything.

Listen! Briefs are boring as s**t, but some of them contain some good s**t. Learn what to listen to and what not to listen to. Sometimes you just have to tune the bullshit out.

START PTing NOW. Run. If nothing else, just friggin' run. If you're not already in some semblance of shape, you have to start showing your body what it's going to go through. That's the biggest way to dread Basic. The PT. It'll be hard if you don't prepare.

What did I do? I got ready. Ran, did push-ups, sit-ups, that sort of thing. I learned my s**t. Ranks. History. All the crap they put in those little booklets in the Recruiter's office. Learn it and the Chain of Command. If you know that stuff like the back of your hand, you'll have another leg up.

That's all I got for right now. Take it in stride. One step at a time. The military, when looked at as a whole, is huge. Difficult. You -have- to break it down.

Good luck, man.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Thanks DP. But then again, in my defense, you didn't try very hard to dissuade me ^_^.

I'll keep all that in mind. My biggest obstacle right now, would be cardio. But I've got 5 months to kick my a**, and god damnit, I will.

So, I'll see you on the other side man.  

Arcanas

Hunter

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Good luck in the Navy (well, you know...when you leave in September)! I have a lot of respect for the people who are willing to make such a huge sacrifice to help protect our nation.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm
I would have tried harder if I thought it would have done any good. :  

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm
Lol. Well, let's look at this way: I've been unemployed since November. My income is negative. I was also denied UI.

Navy gives me a job...a steady job. With a fairly decent income. There are also quite a bit of fringe benefits.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm
I've said it before. The Navy is great if you don't really have strong ties to anyone.  

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm
x-Dark-Pisces-x
I've said it before. The Navy is great if you don't really have strong ties to anyone.
perfect for me then.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm
Good luck Arc, that's all I can say. I intend to join the Navy, so tell me how it goes for you man. And I'm with Pisces on the PT. Just... start now. JROTC has us go through basic stuff every week and that's difficult enough, I can't imagine the training you're going to get.  

Celestial Burden

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 pm
Well, you know Celes, after you get done with the academy, I'll be saluting you...

Don't worry you guys, I'm on top of my PT  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm
Kick a** and make the most of it man. The Military won't let me in so kick some a** for me too.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm
Saverio C.
Kick a** and make the most of it man. The Military won't let me in so kick some a** for me too.
lol. Sure thing Sav. I got you  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:32 pm
Arcanas
Saverio C.

GASP! That's a terrorist fist jab!  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Saverio C.
Arcanas
Saverio C.

GASP! That's a terrorist fist jab!
Incorrect!~  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out