Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Video Games = Fun way to learn
  History
  Science
  Literature
  >:) How to make explosives with household products (My DS Arson Coach!)
View Results

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:49 am
Recently, I picked up "America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking" for the Nintendo DS.

In a few months, I'll be moving out of my parents' house, and getting an apartment with my boyfriend. Neither of us cook very much. So for $20 I got a program for my DS which shows me all kinds of cooking basics. There are videos of actual people cooking and using some of the techniques which are very helpful to watch. You follow the recepies step by step, and the program is voice controlled, so instead of turning a page, you just say when you want to program to advance to the next step.
I was so impressed with this idea...not to mention the $20 price tag, which is the same price I'd pay for a really good cook book.
This sort of thing makes me think about the future of video games. I really like the idea of programs that help you with things. Some people complain that titles like these are "Casual Gaming". But I don't consider them to be "games" at all. I think of them like tools. It's not something to play, it's something that helps you with a daily task.

So ATG:
What do you think of using video game systems to create helpful software like this?

What kind of titles would you be interested in?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am
lol, I don't think those things are even considered "games" it is an interesting concept though, and if my family didn't make me cook every so often, I'd definitely pick one up.

Though, I'm not really a fan of following recipes...since I like to substitute ingredients, and omit others that I don't care for

Besides, they've been using the DS for a while now to do that sort of thing... They've got a few language coaches, but I'm not sure how useful they are, since I don't really take an interest in learning new languages.  

Arcanas

Hunter

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:55 pm
Hmmm, such a thing might be quite helpful for me. I suck at cooking.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:22 pm
Yeah, that's JUST what I need. It would seriously be my luck that if I try to play a cooking video game, the system would burst into flames. gonk  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm
It's funny you should mention that; before we became so civilized, a lot of "games" were actually teaching/learning exercises. smile

@Rol: rofl Now THAT'S a system error! XD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm
I don't need to learn how to cook. We've got a microwave smile

But, yeah I'd really like some kind of video game that teaches you to play piano. Maybe they already have one. I don't know ._.

Anyways, learning new stuff is good. ^_^
Good luck with the lessons.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm
I got one for the DS that teaches languages, like Japanese, French, Chinese, German, and Spanish.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:17 pm
They have a game for the DS that is actually a "Stop smoking coach".

Totally regret not buying it when I was quitting smoking, that would be funny to have xd  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:02 pm
0-0Roland Deschain0-0

Totally regret not buying it when I was quitting smoking, that would be funny to have xd
lol, I remember seeing that once. I thought of buying it when I was quitting...but then, well...I just kinda stopped (being broke helped out quite a bit too)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:51 pm
Arcanas
0-0Roland Deschain0-0

lol, I remember seeing that once. I thought of buying it when I was quitting...but then, well...I just kinda stopped (being broke helped out quite a bit too)
My mom gave me a choice: Cigarettes or a better, reliable internet connection.

I chose you guys over smokes xd  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:58 pm
0-0Roland Deschain0-0
Arcanas
0-0Roland Deschain0-0

My mom gave me a choice: Cigarettes or a better, reliable internet connection.

I chose you guys over smokes xd
lol. Internets are the answer to get you to quit. Nice ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm
I've been wanting to purchase the DS for that reason, it's more than a game system, although there have been more-than-just-games games for awhile, but they're really putting them out there now. Especially the language one.

I'm after a the first DS, but I never see it available. I only see the DS lite, for about $129, usually. Anyone know where I could get the original, and for around what price?  

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:16 pm
SuchSweetSadism
I've been wanting to purchase the DS for that reason, it's more than a game system, although there have been more-than-just-games games for awhile, but they're really putting them out there now. Especially the language one.

I'm after a the first DS, but I never see it available. I only see the DS lite, for about $129, usually. Anyone know where I could get the original, and for around what price?
I doubt you can find an OG new anymore. You'd have to try looking online, or at the used section at your local Gamestop (or wherever video games are sold)
I'm not really sure why you'd want the first gen anymore though...unless you're looking for the comfort factor...I'll give it that.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:16 pm
SuchSweetSadism

I paid $50 USD for my DSlite on Black Friday, normal price around here is $70 and they will probably drop more because the DSi XL just came out (God, I WANT one of those! So comfortable to hold!)

Gamestop is the store I got it at, I imagine the original DSbrick will be around $45 normal.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 pm
0-0Roland Deschain0-0
SuchSweetSadism

I paid $50 USD for my DSlite on Black Friday, normal price around here is $70 and they will probably drop more because the DSi XL just came out (God, I WANT one of those! So comfortable to hold!)

Gamestop is the store I got it at, I imagine the original DSbrick will be around $45 normal.
That of course being you can find one.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces