Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
DND minis

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Erkan the Drow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:55 pm
So, I'm a DM and in need of minis, I've priced plastic ones and they cost a lot so i saw some paper ones and thought cool. but after a few seconds i figured out that paper don't stand on its edge very well so, does any one know of a stand that i could slip a piece of paper into? preferable with varying sizes.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:33 pm
I've had one of my DMs in the past make good use of glass beads aka counters. He has a lot of varying colors, so sometimes we use dice for our PCs, and he uses counters for everything else.

Interestingly enough, I saw these while trying to find said beads for you. Maybe that might be up your ally?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:36 pm
I have never tried this,(I normally rp online or with my imagination so no need of small plastic peices or cut outs) so I don't know if it would work or not. But have you tried paper clips. I don't mean the wire ones but something more like the black bent metal ones. Like this http://www.escrappers.com/images/paperclip2.jpg

I know they stand if you flip them over and the metal wire can come out. Also they are cheap at walmart where I live.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:14 pm
Rain Yupa
I've had one of my DMs in the past make good use of glass beads aka counters. He has a lot of varying colors, so sometimes we use dice for our PCs, and he uses counters for everything else.

Interestingly enough, I saw these while trying to find said beads for you. Maybe that might be up your ally?
craft store glass beads are cheap and easy and might be what you're talking about.

I don't know how these paper figures are set up, but if there's some kind of tab or extra bit at the bottom, folding it over and taping or gluing them to a second piece of paper, or a metal washer or something would probably work fine.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 pm
That's them! Thanks, Spork.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 pm
I'm going to make some minis out of Sculpey, of a few favorite PCs and NPCs, but here's a useful idea:

One of my players in a game once came up with a great invention: plastic little cubes which you could write on with write-on-wipe-off pens. Versatile and can be made in various sizes. Only thing is, I dunno what he made those things out of.  

Stella Meowris

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 pm
I forget where I saw it but another great alternative to minis, if they are readily available: legos.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:38 pm
Legos make the BEST minis >.> Seriously... if ya have the stuff you can customize those ******** >.>  

SlimeGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:25 pm
I tried stand up paper minis, but wasn't a big fan. I've had a lot of luck with printing my own counters, though. The ink costs can add up over time, but they look nice and I give the token to the player that kills it. I got composition notebooks for everyone and a glue stick, so they each keep notes for every session and combat. Monsters get pasted in after being killed.

RPTools is where you'll find the token editor I use. After googling an image and cutting it down in there, I paste it into an open office document with the stat blocks for the encounter. Size it as 1" for a small/medium creature 2" for large and etc. You can get a 1" circular hole punch from hobby lobby for like $6, or just cut em out with scissors for bigger ones (they make a 2" hole punch that works for large size creatures as well)

If you use slightly thicker than normal paper (not quite cover stock thickness) they don't move around a lot on the battle mat.

Here's an example of a finished encounter

User Image

...That was way more than you wanted/needed to know, but I hope it helped!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 am
Paizo Publishing sells a wide variety of Paper Minis that have bases designed for them as part of the assembly process. They work pretty well, so long as your players can stop joking about turning sideways and being invisible.

Personally, I use WotC's prepainted plastics for most of my monsters and NPCs/PCs. They're cheaper than paint-your-own and less breakable, and they weren't too terribly expensive overall. I was really addicted to them before they went and s**t their quality down the crapper as a prelude to 4.0.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 am
In my group, when minis HAVE been used, we usually don't sweat matching the monsters verbatum.

As long as it was distinguishable as the monster type and was the appropriate size for the battlemap, that was usually good enough (so, an orc wouldn't represent a dragon, but one dragon might represent another color dragon or similarly huge epic monster in a pinch).  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games