Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
RIG? CI? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Chouchou

2,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:09 pm
So, on the marketplace it says RIG box, but its apparently been changed to CI and there are long arguments in the forums about whether it should be CI or RIG. I'm confused. When was it changed? Why? What does it stand for?

And also, how do they work, cause I'm considering getting one.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Random Item Generator vs Chance Item- different terms for the same items

It was changed, I believe, when the 'Premium Items' page was released- at least that was the first instance of C.I. I saw.

Basically how it works is you open the item and it will present either a puzzle or story, depending on the item- and as you work through it you'll get one of the possible prizes at random. There's no way to ensure that you get one of the expensive, 'elite' prizes out of it. It takes extreme luck.

As for which term, use whatever you prefer. Personally, I prefer RIG because it sounds catchier.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 pm
There are arguments because Gaians usually don't like change.

Monthly Collectibles used to be called Donation Items. The name was changed years ago, but some people still refuse to use the term "Monthly Collectible."

This is the same situation. Gaia told us that RIGs will now be called CIs. Many people still like the old term, so will continue to call the items by the term "RIGs."

I first noticed the change when I saw the Premium Items page also. However, I then looked closer at this announcement. [link] The Gaia staff told us about the change at the bottom.

Just to tack on more info~
On average, we get a new CI/RIG each month. The staff will make an announcement before the current one leaves the cash shop. If you're going to buy a Code Apha with cash, then this doesn't matter. (Just buy one before they remove the Code Alpha from the cash shop.) But~ as soon as an announcement says that the item is leaving the marketplace, the price of the Code Alphas in the marketplace should increase... So make sure you watch the marketplace if you're going to buy one with gold.
With CIs/RIGs, you get to play through a story, but your actions usually don't affect anything. The prize you get really is random, so~ if you decide to buy one, good luck~ :3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 am

I still call the MC's 'Donation Items' if I'm talking out loud sweatdrop Just a habit I can't seem to break. I think I remember Gaia's reasoning behind that being a legal issue though- something about not being able to call them 'donation' items if users had to 'purchase' them and so on and so forth. I don't remember, it's been a while D:

But yes, it's a similar situation. Get used to calling it one thing, it gets changed, of course people are going to pitch a fit about it whee

Daypaw

Hardened Member

Lady Chouchou

2,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm
Ok thanks that helps a lot. *goes and plays booty grab to save up for her code alpha*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:53 pm
Daypaw

I still call the MC's 'Donation Items' if I'm talking out loud sweatdrop Just a habit I can't seem to break. I think I remember Gaia's reasoning behind that being a legal issue though- something about not being able to call them 'donation' items if users had to 'purchase' them and so on and so forth. I don't remember, it's been a while D:

But yes, it's a similar situation. Get used to calling it one thing, it gets changed, of course people are going to pitch a fit about it whee

I've never used the term donation item before but it's more suited to the nature of the item. I think I'm gonna refer to all MCs and donation items or DIs from now on. I mean there are some MCs that aren't really collectible at all anymore due to inflation and lack of sellers. Donation item just seems to be a more logical name for the items.  

mahi poi no ka oi

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff