Reply SCA Guild
Fencing question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CassiusD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:53 pm
Our local rapier marshal is out of town a couple weeks and I have a question about fencing blades so I'll ask here. What is the difference between a rapier and a schlager? I have been looking at tripplettes blades and am thinking about ordering the parts to make my own sword so I don't always have to use the loaner equipment and I need to know the difference and if there is a "right" type of blade to get. I know the rest of the parts I'm planning to order, just need help with the blade.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:28 am
I haven't gone through Triplette for my blades, but I will assume that similarities run through all brands. A schlaeger is a type of rapier simulator. The two most common blade types that I know of are schlaegers and del tins. The schlaeger is a much lighter blade than the del tin. My first rapier was a schlaeger blade, and it was very light. My new blade is a double-wide del tin and is much heavier, but is much closer to an actual rapier than the schlaeger style.

If I haven't answered your question at all, I'm really sorry. As I said, I haven't used triplette. If you want to post the links to the blades you're looking at though, I can probably tell you which is better, or else I can talk to my don or other people in my area to let you know. smile  

Arithrel
Crew

CassiusD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:40 am
Unfortunately they don't have any pictures. All they have are some simple descriptions at http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/ under the blades link. From what they say it kind of sounds like what they call a rapier blade is the heavier blade. If that is the difference is it mainly a matter of personal preference on the weight then? If it doesn't matter much I'll probably use the schlager, I hold the weapons a bit strangely according to our fencing marshall but it is the only way that feels comfortable to me. I use two fingers over the quillions, one on either side of the blade and a wide blade would make that difficult.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:55 am
A light rapier is a foil or epee. A schlager is general a saber. At least that is my understanding. If you call the nice man at Zen Warrior Armoury, the SCA side of Triplette, he will be able to tell you exactly.  

tanwyn_llewellyn

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff