View Results

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:51 pm
I've always loved the 'natural world' interests of the Victorian era- taxidermy, animal skeletons, anatomical sketches, death masks, Barnum's 'freaks' and mysteries and phrenology.

There is a site called Morbid Anatomy which pretty much exhibits all of these to the public. Has anyone been to see these? I'm in Australia, so I haven't been able to go myself.
There's also the blog, which shows more- Morbid Anatomy blogspot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm
Morbid?
This s**t is pansy.
You know what was morbid?
Peter The Great in Russia.
Took up the practice of dentistry, so he "practiced" on his court members.
Then he took up being a mortician, so he made his court members eat little pieces of the corpse so he could study the effects.

You want morbid?
Look up ANY of the stuff the Nazis did to the Jewish in concentration camps to "further science". Look at the Japanese POW camps, specifically Unit 751.

Oh hey this stuff isn't nearly as fascinating when it doesn't fit into your little "gothic" scheme is it?  

Xahmen

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:41 am
Zahmen II
Morbid?
This s**t is pansy.
Then he took up being a mortician, so he made his court members eat little pieces of the corpse so he could study the effects.

You want morbid?
Look up ANY of the stuff the Nazis did to the Jewish in concentration camps to "further science". Look at the Japanese POW camps, specifically Unit 751.

Oh hey this stuff isn't nearly as fascinating when it doesn't fit into your little "gothic" scheme is it?

You don't have to be a douchebag just because you disagree with a name.

Spooky's trying to start a discussion on the oddities of the Victorian Age, not World War 3. Chill. stare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 am
biggrin yay thanks for the link... Ive been looking for links like these...

I too have an interest with Victorian-era, skeletons, anatomic sketches and most especially taxidermy heart

Unfortunately I cant go as well since I live in the Philippines =3= the Gothic- subculture is barely seen here  

Sautana

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 am
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-
Zahmen II
Morbid?
This s**t is pansy.

You want morbid?

Spooky's trying to start a discussion on the oddities of the Victorian Age, not World War 3. Chill. stare

Cry some more  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm
spooky_sez
I've always loved the 'natural world' interests of the Victorian era- taxidermy, animal skeletons, anatomical sketches, death masks, Barnum's 'freaks' and mysteries and phrenology.

There is a site called Morbid Anatomy which pretty much exhibits all of these to the public. Has anyone been to see these? I'm in Australia, so I haven't been able to go myself.

I haven't been to this exhibit specifically, but the college I went to had been an old Tuberculosis hospital back 100 years ago, and so they had a bunch of those kind of things on display in the nursing hospital.
I would walk by them about once a week for classes, never really thought about them much, but they are interesting.  

moongoyal

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 am
Cute!! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:08 pm
I like her work, and her aesthetic is interesting. Her found objects are fascinating, but I kinda wish everything she did didn't just look like she arranged a few items and then put it up for display. Despite this, I keep going back to her web page to look at the works.

If anyone wants anything from her, she has an etsy page. http://www.etsy.com/shop/morbidanatomyart  

PetreyDish

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 pm
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-
Zahmen II
Morbid?
This s**t is pansy.

You want morbid?

Respect.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm
Diabolica-III

I too have an interest with Victorian-era, skeletons, anatomic sketches and most especially taxidermy heart

Unfortunately I cant go as well since I live in the Philippines =3= the Gothic- subculture is barely seen here

Isn't taxidermy great? I'd love to see a taxidermy exhibition! Hopefully one day you can travel and see all the dead animals you can!  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm
moongoyal
spooky_sez

I haven't been to this exhibit specifically, but the college I went to had been an old Tuberculosis hospital back 100 years ago, and so they had a bunch of those kind of things on display in the nursing hospital.
I would walk by them about once a week for classes, never really thought about them much, but they are interesting.

That's really interesting! Does the college's website have any pictures of their displays?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 pm
DancesWithBats
I like her work, and her aesthetic is interesting. Her found objects are fascinating, but I kinda wish everything she did didn't just look like she arranged a few items and then put it up for display. Despite this, I keep going back to her web page to look at the works.

If anyone wants anything from her, she has an etsy page. http://www.etsy.com/shop/morbidanatomyart

I know what you mean, they all look pretty similar.
Thanks for the link, I didn't even know she sold them!

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Xahmen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:37 pm
spooky_sez
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-
Zahmen II
Morbid?
This s**t is pansy.

You want morbid?

Respect.

I was just sharing some real morbid stuff =[
Sorry if I offended you  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:24 pm
I just found some great taxidermied birds, for anyone who is interested- BRITISH CORVIDS/CROWS  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Sautana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 am
spooky_sez
Diabolica-III

Isn't taxidermy great? I'd love to see a taxidermy exhibition! Hopefully one day you can travel and see all the dead animals you can!

I will definitely save up to travel just to see dead animals... I actually want to be a part time taxidermist biggrin  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff