Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mortal Instruments Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for discussions, RPing, and generally enjoying books. Mostly Cassandra Clare's, but other's as well. 

Tags: Mortal, Instruments, Infernal, Devices, Clare 

Reply Mortal Instruments Guild
upon the subject of the upcoming MI manga series...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whats your opinion on the manga?
  They must be crazy!
  Are you serious?
  whats manga?
  Let them make up their own decision
  Im totally for it!
View Results

stacieakapink5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:10 pm
I am a big fan of anime/manga so I hope I dont sound bias when i say that I was kinda hoping MI would be made intoa manga. Surprisingly graphic novels based on books are pretty popular but just as in movies the picture you have in your head USUALLY isnt the one you see on paper.

Anyone heard of the Maximum Ride Series? It is a bestselling sci-fi series by author James Patterson. He approved the making of it into a manga and automatically fans flocked to the stores to pick up their first copy of its start. They seperated the first book (which was about 200 pages long) into a manga that was about that size but coming in three parts for just the FIRST BOOK! I hope they plan to do the same with the MI series because honestly I dont think you could fit that whole book into one graphic novel...

How does the Maximum Ride series apply to the MI series? Well when you look at the graphic novel created from the book it stays pretty true to the details although still leaving a thing out here and there. the characters are a bit different then most fans imagined but what do you expect? Same will go for the MI series. The manga artists will definitly do their best to picture the world as well as they can but you cant garuantee that all will go well...

Another point to be made is to look at a good friend of Cassandra Clare. We all know HOLLY BLACK famous for her faerie world books(Tithe, Ironside,...I forget...) well she has also released a series based on the life of a half breed faerie girl who must choose between our world and her family. This series entitled: The good neighbors comes highly recommended by graphic novel and written novel readers alike. This is due to the overwhelming pictures it creates of the "other world." And the real point here? HOLLY BLACK herself oversaw the illustration and design of these graphic novels.

So theres my little speech about how I feel about the up and coming MI manga. It should be interesting to see how it turns out and no matter what IM STILL A FAN OF THE ORIGINAL!

Thanks for reading please comment!
-Stacieakapink5  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:39 pm
Oh my God. The Maximum Ride manga was SO BAD! gonk

No offense intended, but I just did not like it. This is coming from both a manga fan and a fan of the series. I find that adaptations of good YA novels never translate well in other media -- be it movie or manga.

One can always hope though! mrgreen  

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

netherfreak
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 pm
I just want to point something out here. Maximum Ride manga was bad and it was done by an American manga company. Cirque du freak manga was good and was done by a japanese company. Anyone else see a pattern!!! Manga is just the japanese version of comic books, which is American, so when american companies try to do manga u get crap like maximum ride and return to the labrynth... Im excited, but it'll probably b a disappointment  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm
○○○

Huh.. Guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the Maximum Ride graphic novels. P:

I like it FOR the art, actually. I mean, turning a book into a manga… isn't always something that turns out that great anyway. I kind of expected it to feel lacking or different from the novels. But I don't hate it. I actually enjoy it, so far.

And I disagree about Japan-made manga vs. American-made manga. I've read both manga from Japan and America and I found good and bad titles throughout both countries. o o' I think it's just that specific authors shouldn't take on specific projects; maybe they don't understand it well enough, or grasp the concept, or maybe the art just doesn't match the style of the entire series. I dunno what goes wrong.

However, that being said… I like how the TMI graphic novel looks so far! I've seen the sketches and the opening panel teasers that got released, and I'm happy with it.

To be honest, nobody could ever capture any novel perfectly into a manga or graphic novel; not only because it's a novel first and foremost and has a certain style or feel to it, but also, there is noo way an artist can please every single fan of that specific series. There's just too many imaginations out there to compete with.
At the very least, they try their best, right? :3

○○○

Ealdwic
Crew

2,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

blackcherry1996

5,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 pm
im okay as long as they dont mess it up  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm
o,o Adpating novels to manga is alittle tricky...and I do not approve.

@_@ they might leave out importent details  

PoshPix

Witty Raider

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100

Azn_Expo_Marker

Genius

8,900 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 pm
Uhm, I've never heard of that Dominion thingy. But, I don't like the idea... O.o I guess I'm okay as long as they aren't ... ugly ... and the story doesn't wonder... to far off the plot. :3
I wish them luck.

Mortal Instruments Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff