Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Question on Spellcasting Prodigy (3.5)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 am
Alright so I have been racking my brain on the arguments back and forth on this feat. For those that are not familiar with the feat or not with the Player Guide to Faerun (that would be the updated version). This is what it stats.

-For the Purpose of determining your bonus spells treat the ability score that controls your spellcasting (Charisma for bards and Sorcerers, Wisdom for divine spellcasters, or Intelligence for wizards) as 2 points higher than its actual value.
-[Special] YOu can gain Spellcasting Prodigy multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different spellcasting ability score. You can take this feat even if you don't have any levels in a spellcasting class yet.
You may select this feat only as a 1st-level Character.

Alright so as I read this this would mean that you select ScP (Cha) feat as a first level bard. Then later you gain a level of Sorcerer this would mean because they have the same spellcasting ability (Cha) that the feat would apply to both classes correct?

I want to say this is how I read this and would interpret it as, but as D&D is it leaves us with yet another gray non-clarifying feat. So I would appreciate some input on this one to see if people agree or disagree.

Thank you.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:14 am
As it seperates between the stats, as opose to the classes. I'd say it applies to all Cha based casters. Otherwise they could have simply put it as casting class as many otherr feats do.

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:38 am
Agreed. I think you'd only have to take it twice if you start Sorcerer and then multi to Wizard or something. Though I guess DM has final say. Just bully him till he agrees. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:55 am
I think anyone challenging your interpretation of the feat is reaching. It is a pretty screwy feat, mandating 1st level acquisition yet applying to classes you don't have yet, as well as being able to take it multiple times (So I guess only humans or strongheart halflings ever take it twice? Unless you're using Flaws)

The special field seems to lay out that how you gain the feat is irrelevant to whatever classes you may have or apply to feat to in potentia, and the only specification the feat has it to what ability score you apply it to. There is zero text to indicate that it might not apply to any class the chosen ability score would normally boost.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

bamaotaku
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 am
I'd have to agree with everyone else here. The feat doesn't state anywhere that the "bonus" to your stat can only be used for one class, so if you were to choose Intelligence and ended up making a Wizard/Beguiler/Duskblade then technically all three classes would gain the bonus since they all rely on the same stat.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 am
That's what I figured. Alright that about answers my question.

Thank you.  

Archfiend Damio

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces