Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
4E Magic items, now with more magic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm
So i've recently been looking around in wizards community site, and I'm starting to realize that I like where Peter Schaefer's head is at. First he wrote about how templates make really crappy elite monsters, but that's a different topic, because he also wrote this and it's something to noodle over, fledgling DM I am with no experience with these systems that allowed for more magical and ostensibly overpowered items. I more recently found out about this and this which are both just fun. I'm curious what any other players and DMs think about these things.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm
Honestly, I would like to try my hand at creating unique items for one of my games (probably BNW would be the most likely recipient of that). I kind of like the way items are now, but as mentioned in that first article, it DOES feel like there should be something between Magic Item and Artifact.

What I've been doing in DCE is SPOILER:rolling randomly for each chest, as it opens; once to see what kind of item (based on what would be useful in the party; ie, if no wand users, then no wands), then again to see what the item actually is. I feel it will give the players new opportunities to explore items normally overlooked. Yes, it might not be the most optimal choice, but when supplies are limited, you use what you have available to get by. Its something that's suited for DCE and none of my other games.

The Magic Item traits listed in the 2nd and 3rd links are cute. Personally, I've been a fan of players trying to figure out what items actually do without knowing that its a of . I can't do that in PBP though, cause it would take time and that would eliminate the cuteness. So in a live game that's heavily focused on the RP aspect, the traits would be neat. In a more straightforward game, I think they would be unnecessary and distract players from their objectives.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 pm
Here's a fun thought.

Perhaps some sample Magic Items created by guild members (for either edition, though I think 4th would benefit from it most) might be a fun project for people to do. If we might get enough of them, then we could possibly have our own archive of gear available for people to use in their games?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:43 pm
Rain Yupa
Here's a fun thought.

Perhaps some sample Magic Items created by guild members (for either edition, though I think 4th would benefit from it most) might be a fun project for people to do. If we might get enough of them, then we could possibly have our own archive of gear available for people to use in their games?
that's actually a pretty cool idea. I really like his idea of more magical magic items, but don't know that I could do the idea justice.

Another idea on magic items is from the dungeoncraft column in Dungeon, where the author says a halfling character in his campaign found a short sword he was convinced was a holy avenger. The DM was going to use the rules for empowering items to eventually make that true, but to start off he made it a sunblade, and just ignored the "heavy blade only" part. Maybe not more magical, but it does make the item more personal and unique.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:24 pm
SporkMaster5000
Rain Yupa
Here's a fun thought.

that's actually a pretty cool idea. I really like his idea of more magical magic items, but don't know that I could do the idea justice.

Another idea on magic items is from the dungeoncraft column in Dungeon, where the author says a halfling character in his campaign found a short sword he was convinced was a holy avenger. The DM was going to use the rules for empowering items to eventually make that true, but to start off he made it a sunblade, and just ignored the "heavy blade only" part. Maybe not more magical, but it does make the item more personal and unique.

Sort of in the same vein as that, a PC in my IRL game started off with a +1 something or other sword I think. But then an angel of Bahamut came and blessed it and made it a +2 somethine, and I'm going to have the angel come back every five levels or so and improve it, until its a Holy Avenger or something similiar, since he is a Paladin.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm
NayrVentess
Sort of in the same vein as that, a PC in my IRL game started off with a +1 something or other sword I think. But then an angel of Bahamut came and blessed it and made it a +2 somethine, and I'm going to have the angel come back every five levels or so and improve it, until its a Holy Avenger or something similiar, since he is a Paladin.
well empowering magic items is a way to let players get attached to them, but i was referring to bending the rules about specific enchantments, like a light sunblade, or maybe gloves of the brawler instead of a belt of the brawler, or boots with the safewing amulet property.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers