Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Dragon Age Game: Recruitment 6/6 FULL! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:33 pm
So, I have recently re-played Dragon Age: Origins and remembered what fantastic game it is. Sure it has its flaws, but every game does. So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing a DnD Dragon Age game. So a game with 4th ed rules, albeit with a few minor changes, but set in Ferelden, probably after the end of Origins. This will probs only work if there are people who have played the game before, although if people who haven't played the game still feel up for it, then by all means. Just thought I'd check interest.

Edit:

Cool, it seems as though we have a good amount of interest. Players are as follows:

Arc Vembris - Grodan, Human Bravura Warlord
Insanity Logic - Erik, Human Rogue
SlimeGuru - Hedrik, Human Fighter
MT the Clown - Dimitrius, Human Wizard
iDragow - Theron, Dalish Elf Ranger
Wolfram Asher Davidson - Judas, Elf Fighter

O.K. Here we go on the Info. to make characters and background on the story.

Races: Dwarves, Elves (NOT Eladrin) and Humans. Limited I know, but thats Dragon Age for you.

Classes: Their closest counterpart from Origins in brackets; Cleric (Mage w/spirit healer specialization) Fighter (Warrior), Ranger (Rogue w/ranger specialization), Rogue (Rogue), Warlord (Warrior w/champion specialization), Wizard (Mage), Bard (Rogue w/bard specialization) Druid (Mage w/shapeshifter specialization) Sorcerer (Mage), Monk (No real comparison in game, but if you've read The Calling, you've seen Utha, who is a silent sister), Swordmage (Mage w/arcane warrior specialization)

Some of the classes will use the stats from 4th ed, but will have a very different flavour due to them being Dragon Age. Clarifications are as follows:

Clerics will not be called Clerics, you will be a Mage who happens to specialize in healing and some attacking magics. You do not get your powers from a God, they come from an arcane background. I would suggest anyone who takes this path to be a dedicated healer, perhaps taking the pacifist healer feat and/or picking powers that do no damage and just daze or otherwise hamper foes, rather than being a damage dealer. This would make more sense within the Dragon Age world. Despite the fact that the 'clerics' are actually mages, they can still wear heavy armour and wield weapons. This does make sense in the Dragon Age world, because a mage can specialize in both arcane warrior and spirit healer, thus healing a lot and wearing heavy armour. So basically, use the stats for a Cleric as it is, but the flavour is very much changed, the power source is technically arcane, you do not revere a God, although as most good people you will probably worship the Maker.

Fighters are pretty much warriors from DA:O and so can be left as they are.

Rangers in DA:O are defined by the fact that they summon animals to fight with them, which may make them more suited to the DnD Shaman class, but I'm going with Ranger because I think whoever becomes a ranger (iDragow) would rather be a damage dealer than leader. Rangers can either specialize in duel weapon, archery, or beastmaster, they all make sense with the DA:O setting.

Rogues don't need any modifications either.

Warlords are fine.

Wizards are Circle Mages. So a Wizards background will most likely be one of yerars of training in Ferelden's Circle Tower.

Sorcerers on the other hand will be Apostates, mages outside the Chantry's control.

Druids will also be Apostates, perhaps brought up in the Kocari Wilds like Morrigan was. As with clerics, druids will technically be 'mages', their power derived from an arcane source. But thats mostly flavour, all the stats and powers can be left as they are.

Bards in Dragon Age are pretty similiar to DnD ones, except that they are all spies as well as bards. Spies in DA:O often meaning assassins too, although that will affect your background mostly.

Monks will be the 'Silent Sisters' from DA:O. So you have to be a female. Unfortuantely I don't know much about this group, since they don't have much focus on them in either of the prequel books or the main game. But if someone wants to be a monk, be my guest, although I would suggest only someone who has played DA:O try this.

Swordmages can be represented by the arcane warrior in DA:O, and not much needs to be changed.

In keeping with the nature of Origins, it being a hugely detailed world, I would like people to write an in depth background and really think about how their character fits into the world. I would urge people who haven't played the game to either ask me some questions before writing their background, or preferably heading over to the Dragon Age Wiki and just reading up on some of the lore, people and places of Ferelden.

This game is set about 18 months after the events of Origins. (Unfortunately I don't know the timeline for Awakening, which is the DA:O expansion coming out soon, but I would like to fit it in with that. I.E. while the Grey Warden from the first game is off doing that, his recent recruits I.E. you guys are off doing something else, but it may not fit perfectly with Bioware's timeline). The Grey Warden of the first game became a Hero of Ferelden. (Btw, most of this is based off of one of my playthroughs of DA:O, so for the purpose of this pbp game, we're taking that as Canon). His name was Soveliss, and he was an Elf from the Alienage in Denerim. Duncan recruited him him after he slew the Arl of Denerims son; he did this because Vaughan, the Arl's son, raped and killed his best friends wife to be. Duncan saw great strength and a sense of justice in the young elf's eyes, and decided to take him to Ostagar with him.

Now I will briefly state some of the big decisions that I made in the game, that had an impact on the Ferelden that we are using for this game.

- Soveliss is an elven warrior who wears heavy armour and weilds two longswords.
- Soveliss recruited the help of the Dalish Elves by convincing Zathrien to break the werewolf curse, which required Zathrien to sacrifice himself.
- Soveliss recruited the help of the Mages at the Circle Tower, as he believed that he had slew all the demons and thus cleansed the tower fully.
- Soveliss recruited the help of the Dwarves of Orzammar, after putting Lord Harrowmont on the throne. He killed Paragon Branka, and helped destroy the Anvil of the Void at the request of Caridin.
- Soveliss slew all of the Cult of Andraste, including the High Dragon they worshipped before taking a pinch of Andraste's Ashes. He then told Brother Genetivi to share the Ashes with the World.
- Soveliss saved the Arl of Refcliffe, after also saving his son Connor from a Demon. He saved him by sending Morrigan into the fade, thus bypassing the need for a human sacrifice, keeping the boys mother, the Arl's wife alive.
- Soveliss then went with the Arl Eamon (of Redcliffe) with his companions to Denerim to take part in the Landsmeet. Before the Landsmeet hovever, Soveliss rescued Anora from Arl Howe, killing Howe in the process. He then travelling to the Alienage, but upon returning to his home, he found that Slavers had taken many elves, his father among them. He slew all of the slavers and rescued his father and the elves.
- After gathering his evidence and allies, Soveliss convinced Anora and Alistair that they should marry, and take the throne together. They reluctantly agreed, stating that it would provide a united front for Ferelden.
- In the Landsmeet, Soveliss manages to get 5/6 of the Bann's to join with him against Loghain. But Loghain refused to accept this, and so Soveliss dueled him. After defeated Teryn Loghain in single combat, he surrendered. Soveliss then decided to recruit Loghain for the Wardens, this pissed Alistair off no end, who then left Denerim for good, leaving Anora to take the throne on her own.
- Soveliss refused Morrigan's offer, on the grounds that he loved Leliana too much to betray her, and Loghain was recluctant to sleep with the witch either, stating that he desired to slay the Archdemon and sacrifice himself in the hopes of redemption. Morrigan left, childless.
- In the battle with the Archdemon, Loghain struck the final blow, thus ending both of their lives.
- When Queen Anora asked Soveliss what boon he would wish for his services to Ferelden, he asked that his people were treated better, thus granted the Alienage a great status, it became an Bann in its own right, and Soveliss' father became the Arl.
- Soveliss then left Denerim with his lover Leliana, they travelled for a time, about 6 months, before Soveliss grimly realised that he still had a duty, he was after all the only Ferelden Grey Warden left, since Alistair had buggered off and was no where to be seen.

Right, I realise that for those of you who haven't played the game, that will be very confusing, so head to Dragon Age Wiki and explore! ^^

So, here's where you guys come in. After the 6 months of travelling with Leliana, Soveliss decided he needed to recruit more Grey Wardens. And so in the year that followed he did that, travelling Ferelden looking for young recruits to put through the Joining. And then it is up to you how he found you, and what he saw in you that made him want to recruit you. He may have recruited you early on, and thus you have been travelling with him for almost a year, getting to know him. Or maybe he has only just recruited you and you hardly know him personally, only as the hero of Ferelden. In any case, just before the game starts, Soveliss heads off to Amarnathine to do the quests in the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins Awakening.

Phew! Now make you characters and their backgrounds. Start at Level 1, use the point buy system please, and feel free to ask me any questions.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Damn you Nayr, stop tempting meeee!!

But I haven't played the game, so I'll take a backseat here. Sounds cool though.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 am
Tempting you with a new Gaia game? Or Dragon Age: Origins smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm
I'd be interested in jumping into this game for two reasons.

I have not tried 4th ed and would like to do so.

I've not played Dragon Age and would like to do so.

(Heard about both from friends and other multiple sources)  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:46 pm
Well this game won't be a version of the Origins story, it will be a continuation of the Origins story as imagined by moi. So there would be spoilers in referance to the original game. If that doesn't bother you then thats cool smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:41 pm
Doesn't bother me, I'm cool like that yo!

Just kidding, but seriously, no it does not bother me. I'd like to play if that would be alright.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:30 pm
You can't tempt me with a game for a system I don't own, especially when I've still got a backlog of PS2 games gathering dust in my DVD rack.

I own 4th edition however and get a lot more mileage out of that.

So . . . like . . . what's the skinny on the setting, I mean like available races? general tone? I've only ever seen a commercial for the game and it looked generally dark/grittyish. Would it be a standard array of power sources, or might it be a bit more heavily weighted toward martial and arcane?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm
Yeah, this shall be my FIRST 4.0 game, I'm gonna need some additional infos here. I'll read some books and things to help get myself going but.. Race and all that is what I'm gonna need.

I've heard 4.0 is pretty easy to set up, so don't think I'll need help with that aspect though.

So yeah, as for my knowledge of the game itself.

Dwarves, Humans, Elves, and I'm guessing maybe some demons or something.  

SlimeGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:43 pm
Count me extremely interested! I really love the gritty tone and dark feel of the world. I'm very familiar with 4th ed D&D and my wife and I have played the game several times together.

It's pretty much dwarves, humans, and elves. The Qunari (really tall honorable warrior race) could be represented by goliaths I suppose. Really heavy emphasis on martial power source with limited cases of others. Though Morrigan is a mage she might be best represented by druid, while a templar might be best represented by either warlord, fighter or paladin.

On the whole, magic is bad and unskilled mages get possessed by demons.

Again, really interested biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 am
Yeah I was thinking of using the Goliath as a base for the Qunari. So yeah, main races are Humans, Dwarves and Elves, heavy focus on martial classes yeah, but mages exist, so sorcerers and wizards, sorcerers could be apostates and wizards could be circle mages. And like you said Slime, Morrigan has shapeshifter abilities so could be druid-like, also Zevran is quite like an assassin, so there are many possibilities.

Yeah the tone is very dark and gritty, blood everywhere, so when your character takes on swipe at say...a bandit, your character gets covered in blood, head to foot 3nodding The background for the original game is that you are one of the last Grey Wardens in Ferelden, you and your buddy Alistair. But in my game, which is going to be a 'sequel' for want of a better word, all the characters, 3, 4 or 5, will be Grey Wardens, recruited by the Warden of the main game after he defeated the Archdemon. Any race and class can be a Warden, although like I said, races and classes of 4th ed will be highly limited. I haven't decided on the specifics of that yet, I was waiting to see if there was enough interest, although 3 people could work O.K. I may start thinking about the details and put a background up here soon, and you can start making your characters.

I would suggest going to the Dragon Age Wiki to look at the background of the game, if you don't mind spoilers, and are that bothered about knowing the history of the world. You don't need to spend hours trawling the site of course, but it might make your experience better if you know what the Circle Tower is, or where the Dwarves come from etc.  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am
I'll play a human, once you got starting info up, I'll make a character.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:51 pm
I'm thinking I might wait to see what other folks are playing before I jump in and dibs a role.

But I have been creating characters in my head for the last two days.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:17 pm
I would like a chance to play 4th ed.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:45 am
I'm thinking either a Fighter/Rogue/Ranger type guy (Not those 3) one of those.

Though since I am not familiar with the names of those classes in 4.0 (Has an unopened book next to me) I'll make the character up as I go, once I open the book.. which I won't do Until I know that I'm in and we're actually gonna play. Why. I'm bored, and want to feel random.

As in.. what do I need to do to build mah character. Level 1? or what?

I skimmed it earlier, don't recall much of anything.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:14 am
If any folks new to 4e need help, we've got players with lots of experience ready to lend a hand  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff