Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elves on Bookshelves - The Bookcase for Friends of Fantasy

Back to Guilds

A literate guild for readers: We mainly discuss books, but feel free to share jokes and real life issues; we'll laugh and cry with you. 

Tags: contests & quests & advice for writers, faery games and medieval quizzes, original poetry, fan art and fiction, library of myths and legends, fun magic wizard, bookworm & bibliophile 

Reply Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!
House of Night series

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elf on a Bookshelf
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 pm
Written by P. C. Cast and Kristen Cast (mother and daughter), the books in the series so far are:
Marked
Betrayed
Chosen
Untamed
Hunted
Tempted

Any lovers or haters out there?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm
I read the first two. I thought that they were okay, but I didn’t like them enough to continue reading the series.

It’s a fun, quick-read for young teenagers, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that prefers books with lots of depth so the reader has the opportunity to seriously analyse characters/situations.

Additionally, I wouldn’t recommend it to teens that live twenty years from now. There are too many pop culture references, like names of actors and television shows, that teens in a few generations won’t understand. Putting an excessive amount of pop culture in a work is NOT a good way for it to stand the test of time.

One thing I liked (liked; not loved. I didn’t LOVE anything about this series.) was the character Damien, the sweet gay boy, because I could personally relate to his issue of using vocabulary that his peers couldn’t understand. lol Plus, I always appreciate when different sexual orientations are represented.

One of the things I didn’t like was that House of Night was like a version of Vampire Academy that didn’t possess a culture/government that was structured half as well. Seriously, it was a vampire school where the living vamps could (sometimes) use one of the five elements, and the dead vampires were (usually) evil. Sound familiar? Yeah, except Vampire Academy was much more detailed, and the quality of the writing was better.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars because from what I read it was an okay, average series.

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

SilverDragonQueen810

Obsessive Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm
I really enjoyed this series. It drawls on a little, and an inside joke can only be repeated so many times.

But, overall, it's really funny, and a good teen romance for those sick of Twilight.  
Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games