Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
not looking like you just started to avoid name calling

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxTearstained Rainbow96xX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 pm
ok, so you just started, congratz! Then you go to a rally or hollywood and you're still wearing the clothes you started with. It's pretty likely somebody will call you a name. You could surrender your soul into the gaia game zOMG (trust me it steals your soul) but if you want a life of things besides gold earning, Here are some model avatar ideas to not look new, and won't cost you tons of gold.
Girls:
User Image

User Image

User Image
here wench things like corsets and bustiers are your best friend, it's cute when it's not real life
Boys:
User Image

User Image

i know you may not want to hear it, but the guys who walk around shirtless look like they've been on longer, along with tattoos and save up for a sword, and you'd look like a veteran.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:35 am
I thought this was going to be some post about someone calling you names here and that it "wasn't looking like we started to avoid name calling" razz  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Tebasile

Moonlight Harvester

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 am
...birds creep over tin roofs, like criminals with tap shoes...
I Hear Thunder

There are many pretty outfits you can make with cheaper items. Matching colors, and layering items also makes you look like a more experienced user!

But Theres No Rain
...stain the glass with windows, extortionate and cold stare...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 am
Yeah, this is a very good idea you had.

I hate to say it, but your examples still remind me of something a new user would wear.

Shoes! Shoes are a big thing. Make sure your examples include shoes. Those avatars look like they didn't have enough gold to clothe their feet.

Anyone wearing a bathing suit, bra with short shorts, or underwear with skimpy top reminds me of people who frequent Rally and zOMG. Newbies that frequent the zOMG.
Your suggestion there might be a good one considering you mentioned zOMG and that look has leaked over from Rallies into zOMG. On the forums, this is often a tip off that the person doesn't spend much time making posts. They have spent all their time in Rally and zOMG. It might be a popular look in zOMG, Towns and Rally, but not in the forums.

And it was your shirtless comment that got me to post. x .x Oh my gosh, ew. Guys who walk around shirtless look like they're trying too hard to make their pixels look hot. They're trying too hard to find a Gaia girlfriend. Pixels are not hot.
It's again, a look seen in Rally. It's very very very newbish. To pull of a shirtless look, someone would also have to add shoes, bracelets, facial accessories and hats. I'm not saying it would look good, I'm just saying it would help show that the person knows how to dress. It would help show that they didn't just slap on a pair of pants and hit the save button.

These outfits aren't awful. And if someone wants to look like these tekteks, that's fine. We're all allowed to dress the way we want to. I'm only commenting on your remark that it will make these people look like veterans. They won't. They will still make them look very new. Maybe slightly less new, but still very new.
You're right that the outfits do not have to be expensive.
Making a matching avatar is one quick way to show that someone's been on the site for a while. The avatars don't have to match, though. People just need to use lots of layers. They need to equip more clothing items than you have equipped on the tekteks.
Your tattoo suggestion was good. Tattoos are often used my experienced users to fill in areas on an avatar that look too empty.
The sword idea is good too. Holding items help make people not look new. And a sword would work well in zOMG.
And your cincher suggestion is especially good. Get people to use layers. Vests and cinchers are good layering items. So are belts, gloves, socks, etc.
The biggest thing to keep in mind is to not use a set of items. Like, wearing all of the g-lol items or wearing all of the picnic set together. Users see that as not being creative. You followed this rule. You didn't use a set in any of your examples. That's good. :3

And here's just an example of the type of layering that I'm talking about. I could have made a cheaper one, but I wanted to cover my bases. Making it match would score higher veteran points, but I didn't want to rely on that clutch. Look at the use of layers. Shoes, socks and legwarmers. Undershirt, shirt and vest. Necklace. Face item (glasses). Layering items is what shows that someone isn't a total newbie to the site.
http://www.tektek.org/avatar/35166270

Edit; Oops, I was editing my wording. I didn't know this would be quoted so quickly. > <

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Elemental Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 am
sdrawkcab
Yeah, this is a very good idea you had.

I hate to say it, but your examples still remind me of something a new user would wear.

Shoes! Shoes are a big thing. Make sure your examples include shoes. Those avatars look like they didn't have enough gold to clothe their feet.

Anyone wearing a bathing suit, bra with short shorts, or underwear with skimpy top reminds me of people who frequent Rally and zOMG. Newbies that frequent the zOMG.
Your suggestion there might be a good one considering you mentioned zOMG and that look has leaked over from Rallies into zOMG. On the forums, this is often a top off that the person doesn't spend much time making posts. They have spent all their time in Rally and zOMG. It might be a popular look in zOMG, Towns and Rally, but not in the forums.

And it was your shirtless comment that got me to post. x .x Oh my gosh, ew. Guys who walk around shirtless look like they're trying too hard to make their pixels look hot. They're trying too hard to find a Gaia girlfriend. Pixels are not hot.
It's again, a look seen in Rally. It's very very very newbish. To pull of a shirtless look, someone would also have to add shoes, bracelets, facial accessories and hats. I'm not saying it would look good, I'm just saying it would help show that the person knows how to dress. It would help show that they didn't just slap on a pair of pants and hit the save button.

These outfits aren't awful. And if someone wants to look like these tekteks, that's fine. We're all allowed to dress the way we want to. I'm only commenting on your remark that it will make these people look like veterans. They won't. They will still make them look very new. Maybe slightly less new, but still very new.
You're right that the outfits do not have to be expensive.
Making a matching avatar is one quick way to show that someone's been on the site for a while. The avatars don't have to match, though. People just need to use lots of layers. They need to equip more clothing items than you have equipped on the tekteks.
Your tattoo suggestion was good. Tattoos are often used my experienced users to fill in areas on an avatar that look too empty.
The sword idea is good too. Holding items help make people not look new. And a sword would work well in zOMG.
And your cincher suggestion is especially good. Get people to use layers. Vests and cinchers are good layering items. So are belts, gloves, socks, etc.
User Image
I wonder how it feels...

Shh! I am speaking...

I completely agree. I couldn't say it better myself. x3

Thank you for listening. ^^

...to be in love.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:00 am
sdrawkcab

Pixels are not hot.

I agree. I agree with the points made about shoes, too- shoes are a must.

The current starter sets have plenty to offer in terms of shoes. For example:

User Image

This entire avatar costs 2,512 gold (give or take a bit daily because of the belt) but includes shoes, a shirt, and a few accessories to give it personality.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

upxfromxbelow

Hilarious Gawker

13,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:57 pm
Now, it has been stated before but I feel it important enough to repeat; SHOES!! Not just shoes, but accessories and layering!! Cheap tights, jewelry, pocketbooks, etc.!

I mean reversible bracelets and hair pins are inexpensive and come in almost EVERY color! And not only that but they give you a plethora of options to play around with!

User Image

This was my go, it totals $2,553. Kinda steep I know, but still works for brand newbies. (which p to the s, i still kinda am so i might not have too much room to talk)  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games