Reply The Lolita Society.
Lolita Lifestyle Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raspberry Panic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:52 pm
AGAIN... i must say im new, so if you're getting anoyed bey my frequent questions ...sowwie! i cant help it! but back to my question, what is your "lolita lifestyle" so to say? what type of books do you read? music you listen to? movies you watch? anime? tv? games? shops? i know it maybe irrevelent to being lolita but i used to have a semi-dark demenor about me so in my being lolita i feel i should cange my lifestye, no more screamo and all that. and im im not correct in thinking this please set me straight, but should lolita-ness be reflected in our lifestyles too?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:13 pm
User Image

Only if you want it to.
The clothing you wear is only one iota
of what is your (hopefully) complex and multi-faceted persona.
Wearing a dress that adheres to the Lolita standards doesn't determine what sort of music you should listen to
any more than the shade of blue on your denim jeans or the color of your eyes
(which is to say - not a whit).

However, finding an channel for self-improvement is never, ever a bad thing.
If you wish to cut screamo out of your playlist because you find that it rattles your nerves,
then that is a perfectly acceptable reason for redirecting your music taste...
But if you enjoy screamo and listening to it makes you happy, then you have no reason to change at all.

To many, lolita fashion opens the door to a feminine lifestyle.
This is a very good time for me to share this blog I found recently - The Princess Portal.
There are so many excellent entries that I could never pick just one that appropriately summarizes the site as a whole.
But if you're interested in learning small, simple ways to change your lifestyle,
then I think you would want to read over that archives page and click on whatever tickles your fancy.

The subjects mainly cover ways to introduce princess-like qualities into your life.
Things like taking care of your body and discovering the beauty in everyday things.

Or you could swear like a sailor and make rude gestures at anyone who laughs at your outfit.
Whatever floats your boat.
User Image

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

A Doll Named Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm
WARNING: STRONG OPINION BELOW

The thought of giving up Doritos, sexual innuendos, Avenged Sevenfold, and bossing my fiance around the mall to be "more lolita" seems absurd to me.
I don't give those things up for work! Sure I'm a classy lady. Sure I dress for the office and keep my voice down.
It doesn't mean I'm not going to blast metal through my iPod while typing up reports, make rude noises at my co-workers or tell absurd stories during break (or quietly during work time)just because I'm wearing a skirt suit.
So why give up who I am while wearing lolita?
I enjoy my work clothes, I enjoy lolita, but I enjoy being myself even more. I can sip tea, wear a bonnet, and get high in the same night and wake up with dignity.
So can you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 pm
There is one reason, and one reason only, to ever change anything about yourself.
If you personally do not like the person you are. In that case, don't stand around hating yourself, you've found a problem that you can fix. If wearing lacy dresses and while wrestling bears is your thing, then by all means do it, and tell me which laces you find the sturdiest. As long as you're happy, confident, and willing to be corrected on terminology (behavior is up to you, but calling a tea party shoe a mary jane consistently can be a little grating) then there's no way anyone can give you a hard time about anything.

I only mention the terminology because it's a personal pet peeve of mine. Most people won't care. Burlesque is lovely but it's not lolita and calling it lolita makes it judged by lolita standards and makes good burlesque look bad... *grumble grumble rant*  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Alpha Drug

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm
I think I'm just this way because I am, not because of lolita... but as for me, I love classical music, but I also love indie and riot grrl musical, just depends on my mood. I like to read fantasy novels, magic, wizards, time travel, unicorns. I LOVE disney princess movies, or any kind of cartoon like that, The Last Unicorn is a good book and movie. I mostly thrift shop and bargain hunt, or shop online if it's lolita. I LOVE America's Funniest Home Videos, and I LOVE watching the History and Discovery channel...I've always been very involved with learned about cultures, and history, 9 out of 10 lolita meet ups we do near me are most likely museums or art galleries.

I started to like lolita in highschool, probably because it was so different from what I was like back then. I was loud, uncoordinated, mean, and roudy. I think graduating high school and discovering lolita calmed me down, I think I grew up more, for myself and for lolita. When I was in high school I walked around slumped over and stareing at my feet, now I'm a LOT more confident in myself and happy. I stand up straight and look people in the eye when I'm talking to them. I think Lolita has brought common courtesy and manners to my life. ^__^  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm
thanks you guys crying im very happy to be in the lolita society!! ill be myself whee rofl 4laugh xp heart heart heart  

Raspberry Panic

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 pm
Raspberry Panic
thanks you guys crying im very happy to be in the lolita society!! ill be myself whee rofl 4laugh xp heart heart heart
User Image

Of course!
*hug*
We would never want you to be anyone else!!

And anyone who tells you you can't be who you are - well, they can just eat it!
scream
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm
This question comes up a lot from me and others, "What does it mean to be a Lolita?"
So you are not the only one.
I had a recent encounter with a girl asking that he feels she cannot be a real lolita because "shes not Asian"

Puh-leze....Lolita is a fashion. Nothing more for me. I love the clothes and feeling like a princess. I happen to like classical music, but I love heavy metal also. I love dressing up and dressing down. I like to sip my tea and shoot people with my Tippman 98 custom (a paintball gun for you maidens who don't know)

But I don't like the "lifestyle of lolitas" I can't eat sweets every single day without gaining 20 pounds.

End of rant..... xp

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

Razzberry Pi

Desirable Codger

13,150 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 pm
You should still like the things that you like. Wearing lolita does not change who you are...However, if you want to change for personal reasons, go ahead. If you no longer enjoy screamo, don't listen to it, but it you still like it, go ahead!

Coeur de Pirate's songs make me think of lolita, so do some of Kerli's songs...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm
going back to the not asain thing-fireflt808- im balck so lots of ppl expect me to "act black" when they meet me not lolita so i also have a sort-of hard time with that too, but for the most part im ok b/c before becoming lolita i was kinnda "asian"-like".... btw i LOVE kerli heart  

Raspberry Panic

A Doll Named Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:37 pm
Raspberry Panic

You go, girl! wink Glad you're here too.

Besides, what exactly is "lolita lifestyle" anyway? I hear all these discussions about how you should act more lolita, but what does that even mean? Sip tea, don't curse, spend your parents money, and don't do manual labor? Should you be a snob or sweet to everyone? Are you kind to everyone or are you supposed to be reserved and stay in your own little world? Is there a lolita lingo, like there is for ganguro? I think that's my main problem with the "lolita lifestyle" theory. I can find consistent written rules about what makes an outfit lolita or not, but I have NEVER found consistent written rules about how you should behave.
Also, just like to point out that changing who you are because you want to be a different/better person for your own personal reasons is not "posing" or whatever people nowadays might call it. If it's who you want to become, it is already a part of who you are, because your desires are part of your personality too! I'm currently on the "swear patch", since quitting foul language cold turkey wasn't going so well.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 pm
I feel like if your in lolita, your representing a new fashion, something that people dont really understand just yet which means first impressions are everything.

Even though I will always be myself and I encourage others to be themselves, I do suggest that your a little more polite, and more understanding whilst in lolita. You don't want to scare anyone away from the fashion or give them the wrong idea. If someone comes up to me to ask me about what I'm wearing or doing whilst in lolita I dont shrug them off or be rude, that would give them the wrong idea about the fashion. I try to be as polite and kind as I can to give them a good sense of the fashion. But never feel like you need to be something different then what you are!  

Alpha Drug

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

A Doll Named Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:15 pm
good point. good to give the fashion a good name for starters. then again, i think everyone should be at least a little nice, no matter what fashion. the world would be a much nicer place. T^T  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:42 pm
For example, I met the prettiest girl at one meet up, with a GORGEOUS dress, absolutely adorable head to toe... until she opened her mouth. ALL she could talk about were poop jokes, throwing up, sex with boys, and doing really rude inappropriate things, like yelling cat calls at the boys out the car window... I mean really? Thats not setting a good example for people OUTSIDE of the fashion, and really annoying the hell out of anyone ALREADY IN THE FASHION.

Surprisingly the next meet up she came to she was VERY quiet and meek and VERY nice. Almost too quiet... -le sigh- I hope she makes it out to more meet ups, and just maintains her manners. Outside of the being rude bit she was very sweet.  

Alpha Drug

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

A Doll Named Mouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:14 am
Alpha Drug
For example, I met the prettiest girl at one meet up, with a GORGEOUS dress, absolutely adorable head to toe... until she opened her mouth. ALL she could talk about were poop jokes, throwing up, sex with boys, and doing really rude inappropriate things, like yelling cat calls at the boys out the car window... I mean really? Thats not setting a good example for people OUTSIDE of the fashion, and really annoying the hell out of anyone ALREADY IN THE FASHION.

Surprisingly the next meet up she came to she was VERY quiet and meek and VERY nice. Almost too quiet... -le sigh- I hope she makes it out to more meet ups, and just maintains her manners. Outside of the being rude bit she was very sweet.

Even in jeans and a t shirt, I gotta admit, some things just aren't appealing.  
The Lolita Society.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff