Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Weirdest assignment?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zathraya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:34 pm
Yeah. Just curious what other professors/teachers have made people do. I'm sure everything must be for a reason (even if it's just to keep you entertained) for everything you are told to do. But did you find any one of your art projects that was... odd.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 pm
For my foundation year at school I was required to take a Creative Process class, and it is more of a philosophical course (or so it is labelled) than to produce artwork... lots of interesting things came out of that class.

The first assignment our professor gave us was this:

"Bring Moon to class."

That was it.

He has been teaching for 15 years + and he does this every year. He also had us make a 'device to weigh a dragon' and group projects where we would retell myths any way as long as it was done as a presentation. We also had to play a game called the 'rock game' where we go out and find 5 rocks, and take turns putting them on a table in silence until all the rocks are on the table. Then we had to take turns taking back rocks until all of them were gone.

Things people did for their projects:

- one guy knitted a 20 foot long scarf (it was really nice!)

- one guy had everyone sit in the dark for 20 minutes listening to an abstract sound piece made from sounds he recorded from the train.

- One girl had everyone sit in a circle and read out flash cards assigned to them, and handed out eggs to throw and/or crush in our hands. That was a messy class. My sketchbook from that class still smells eggy.

For my group project we were pretty far gone at that point and we got everyone (a class of 20+ with the teacher) under two tables, covered them in a cloth, turned out the lights and made sounds with random objects. When we finished we pulled the tables apart and 'birthed' them from it which resulted in someone spilling their coffee all over the floor and eggs being cleaned up (I don't know what was up with that girl and throwing eggs, but it turns out the impact from throwing an egg on the floor make a pretty big eggsplosion).  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:31 am
Drawing chilies.
Yes, the spicy ones your mom use in the kitchen.

Was an art class that my mom signed us kids up for when we were younger - those that did watercolor was left to learn from color photographs of watercolor paintings - trees, meadows, houses, things like that.

One of it was wrinkled, shriveled up husks of dried chili.

I think I still have it....somewhere.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 am
Not so much weird here and as overkill... 11th grade, we spent a semester drawing frozen fish, shrimp and crabs. Maybe some seashells. 12th grade, same teacher... we spent a semester drawing frozen fish, shrimp and crabs. Maybe some seashells.  

Sunsway

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff