Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Themed Party ideas Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 am
So, we've all had character ideas that were pretty unique, or centered on some odd theme or exploited some odd mechanic (whether for personal gain or personal amusement) but have any of you ever taken part in planning out a party around a central theme? for instance, after seeing one of the new fighter powers in MP2, I got to thinking what would fit in an entirely unarmed party.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 am
No justice like Mob Justice!

Only "group theme" idea would be a bunch of warlords and a barbarian. The warlords use boosts and grant extra attacks, and the barbarian basically goes apeshit.

Could work with melee ranger or avenger too, but it just has a particular nice ring to it with the berserker angle.

I'm not sure how well the party members would enjoy such a build, but if they were all into it (especially if they were naturally passive), I think it would be worth a lot of laughs.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm
There's also the Brothers Florentine. Dual Ranger, Tempest Fighter, Two-Weapon Barbarian.

Preferably as gnomes, just to throw people off.

Psychofish and I have already claimed two of said brothers, if the opportunity ever arises to play them.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 pm
Rain Yupa
There's also the Brothers Florentine. Dual Ranger, Tempest Fighter, Two-Weapon Barbarian.

Preferably as gnomes, just to throw people off.

Psychofish and I have already claimed two of said brothers, if the opportunity ever arises to play them.
cute. That unarmed party idea started because the fighter power inspired me to make a fighter that multiclassed into monk for ki focuses and used a belt of the brawler to basically have magic unarmed attacks. I had a similar idea for a barbarian who would use stonebreaker every combat to "make" a weapon, and thought it'd be funny to have the two in a party with a full-class monk and have every combat turn into a show of who's kung-fu is stronger.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

bamaotaku
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 pm
I had a friend of mine who talked about DMing a squad-based DnD game where the party consisted of all Rogues. Obviously, the adventures would be more stealth/tactic based than kick in the door but with multiclassing, you could have a rogue to fill every party niche from tank to healbot.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 am
I'm going to dm a session based on bounty hunting and law work, basically an entire party of deputized citizens/actual city gaurds. Intresting dynamic to it, more "find who did this and bring them in alive" less "Go there and kill that one guy". Plus more opportunity for skill checks and some unique and otherwise useless classes I have in the 3.0 class supplements. Punisher clone? check. CSI clone? check.  

Durgress

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm
Here's a thought I had today:

What about a completely random team?

Everyone makes a character without publicizing what they're making, and turns in sheets to the DM via PM, or in IRL, hands them in quietly for approval.

It'd be interesting to see what kind of team develops, and how well it plays.

Alternatively, or additionally, the players make TWO characters (either public or private, as above), and the DM chooses which from each player is played by that person. For a slight semblance of balance, if you really think you need it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 am
Well this is a 3.5 idea sense I don't play 4e.

But I was thinking a whole party of bards kind of like a traveling band. what's funny is just about everything could be made with a bard. Of course you would have to allow Multiclassing and PrCs but it would be fun in my opinion.  

Archfiend Damio

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am
Rain Yupa
Here's a thought I had today:

What about a completely random team?

Everyone makes a character without publicizing what they're making, and turns in sheets to the DM via PM, or in IRL, hands them in quietly for approval.

It'd be interesting to see what kind of team develops, and how well it plays.

Alternatively, or additionally, the players make TWO characters (either public or private, as above), and the DM chooses which from each player is played by that person. For a slight semblance of balance, if you really think you need it.

This sounds like how most 3.5 games I've been in have played out.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 pm
How have they played out, in your experience?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 pm
I like Jesters idea.

We had an idea where everyone made the quinticencal fithe character. I think it was going Bard for a few. Warlock as well.

Would going to be interesting, but we never got around to that game >_>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm
I had an idea for buffing up a rogue with a Beastmaster Ranged Ranger. Give him distant advantage, and he can use a hawk or other quick animal to get into flanking with the rogue so that everyone gets CA! razz  

iDragow

Drugged Lolli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm
My RL gaming group was working on putting together an evil party based on the Seven Deadly Sins. Sadly, DM never got around to getting organized enough to run it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm
iPedo
My RL gaming group was working on putting together an evil party based on the Seven Deadly Sins. Sadly, DM never got around to getting organized enough to run it.
that could be really fun. what was sloth going to be?  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Drugged Lolli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm
SporkMaster5000
iPedo
that could be really fun. what was sloth going to be?

Ended up as the party's NPC boss, having them do all the work.

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff