Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
As far as I can see, "Who dat?" originated here...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 am
From what I can see, the phrase "Who dat?" originated here in the state of Hawaii. Adopted from the Hawaiian Creole English (Pidgin) phrase: "Who that?" pronounced "Hu dat" literally meaning "Who is that person", the phrase has been in use here for centuries (from what I can see). Originally stemming from the sentence "`O wai kela kane/wahine?" literally meaning "Who is that man/woman?" and more directly meaning "Who that man/woman", the phrase has more often than not been shortened to "`O wai kela" literally meaning "Who is that?" or more directly meaning "Who that?" by its native speakers. Thus when the Westerners came along and tried to get the natives to speak their tongue, the creole version of the question "Who is that?" became "Who that?". And anyone who has spoken to someone here that speaks pidgin knows that pidgin speakers do not pronounce the 'th' sound. They either replace it with the 'd' sound (as in 'the' or 'this') or with the 'ch' sound (as with 'three' or 'throw') or occasionally with the 't' sound if the sound comes at the end of the word (as in 'teeth' or 'south'). So as far as I can see, the 'slang' originated here and spread east with the the coming and going of tourists. And now the Saints are gonna register a trademark on the phrase. WTF man. Seriously? The phrase most likely did not originate in New Orleans so what they gonna sue locals just for speaking pidgin? Stupid if you ask me. Here are some reference videos for anyone not from the islands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJg8ICcjVH4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0m_Kw1DAYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws70oI3yMBc  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:52 am
Wow, talk about research

Heartless Josh

Deletedforgood23

Shy Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 am
Lol I'm not sure about the Hawaii thing, but "Who Dat?" has been chanted at LSU basketball games for the past twenty years and I forgot what sport had it before that, it falls in and out of popularity, I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that they were trying to trademark it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah it's pretty funny smile I'm getting tired of people fighting over where it all started, I mean, does it really matter?

User ImageUser Image

Heartless Josh

☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces