Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Martial Power 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:48 pm
So D&D website has a few peeks into the new book... few noted things so far
Fighter

-close to 100 new powers for Fighters alone
-New Fighter Class Feature: Brawler Style seems to be one handed weapon with nothing in off hand... might get a bonus to reflex save or more likely a bonus to grab attacks
-Combat Agility can replace Combat Superiority... my guess would be something to do with Dex mod replacing Wis mod... might be really good with a Tempest build
-New Paragon Paths: This chapter offers eight new paragon paths for fighters, including the glorious myrmidon, the rakehell duelist, and the rampaging brute.
Warlord

- At least two new Warlord builds...for a total of 6
Insightful Warlord
You lead through careful observation and a knack for predicting your enemies’ actions. In combat, you keep your eyes open and quickly adapt your plan to changing circumstances. You show your allies how to identify enemy weaknesses and exploit those flaws. You are skilled at demoralizing foes and are an expert at interrupting their actions by issuing quick commands.

Skirmishing Warlord
You scoff at the notion that war takes place on the front lines. Your talents are akin to the skills of archers, sneaks, and scouts. You recognize that their contributions are as vital as the efforts of melee combatants. You help allies by sharpening their timing, directing their maneuvers, and pointing out targets with your own ranged attacks.

Ranger

-8 new paragon paths for rangers
Bloodfury Hunter
Darkstrider
Harrowing Swarm Archer
Huntmaster
Lone Wolf
Reaving Axe Savant
Shinaelestran Guardian
Snow Tiger

Rogue

Nothing yet, lets hope they don't get the shaft  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am
Rogue
New Build: For those who prefer to lurk on the battle’s fringes, the shadowy rogue is built to slip in and out of sight and find the opportune moment to strike.
New Class Features: The Cunning Sneak class feature gives you a new tactical option for your rogue.
New Powers: With nearly one hundred new powers, this chapter has something for every kind of rogue, from tricksters and aerialists to cutthroats and brawny rogues. Many of the powers support the shadowy rogue build.
New Paragon Paths: Eight new paragon paths provide ways to tailor your rogue’s abilities. These paths include the blade bravo, the jack-of-all-trades, and the red cloak.

I almost didn't notice since I got the Character Builder update... but the new article about hybrid characters had a few bits of its own

Ranger gains a new Running Attack ability that replaces Prime Shot
and also have two new combat styles besides archer/two handed/beast mastery Hunter Fighting Style, Marauder Fighting Style

Rogues can replace the +1 to dagger attack rolls and dice buff to throwing stars for something called Sharpshooter Talent... deals with crossbows and slings

Warlord's gain two choice to replace combat leader with battlefront leader and uncanny leader

I hope Fey elfs get some new racial feats for rogue, because longsword finese is useless now if you have access to Dragon 381  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 am
OMG can I just say this makes me want to play a Brawler Fighter
one melee weapon in your main hand... spiked gauntlet... or perhaps a flail than in you off hand you either have nothing or another spiked gauntlet... keep in mind having a spiked gauntlet has a drawback later on but still... I love this... it is sort of like a monk expect... he uses more of a judo/boxing way of fighting compared to the fly kicking flurry punches... I can already see a Half-Orc Fighter giving an uppercut to a dragon!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 am
JinKazamaru
OMG can I just say this makes me want to play a Brawler Fighter
one melee weapon in your main hand... spiked gauntlet... or perhaps a flail than in you off hand you either have nothing or another spiked gauntlet... keep in mind having a spiked gauntlet has a drawback later on but still... I love this... it is sort of like a monk expect... he uses more of a judo/boxing way of fighting compared to the fly kicking flurry punches... I can already see a Half-Orc Fighter giving an uppercut to a dragon!
forget fisticuffs, i want to make a brawler with both hands empty, multiclass to get a ki focus, and play a wrassler. grappling strike, wrenching grasp, pin down from dragon, it'd be awesome. Make it a goliath and call him "The Rock." whee

even better, causticsaul brawler: you have resistance to acid and can breath underwater, meaning you have a character who could wrestle a shark in a vat of acid.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 pm
Ranger just seemed to get more support for flexible duel wielding... using a throwing off hand... and quicking for range/melee still nice

Rogue gets what I'd like to consider the good way to sneak as a rogue... using cover and a crossbow (or sling for those halfling types)

Archer Warlord sounds fun...since I enjoy playing leader from the back ranks but I'm still reading into the Insightful Warlord  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm
JinKazamaru
Ranger just seemed to get more support for flexible duel wielding... using a throwing off hand... and quicking for range/melee still nice
I love the feat support for beast masters, but the power selection for them is still woefully weak. I was really sad when the only support ranged beast masters got were a couple powers that require thrown weapons. more best powers with either no weapon in their range or that work with ranged weapons would open up the build to so many new possibilities. they could've delivered here, now i'm already waiting for MP3. stare

Quote:
Rogue gets what I'd like to consider the good way to sneak as a rogue... using cover and a crossbow (or sling for those halfling types)
I just love that there's a class feature that doesn't rely on a secondary ability score. Nex they'll actually have a build with Wis secondary and my rogue will stop being a total gimmick.

Quote:
Archer Warlord sounds fun...since I enjoy playing leader from the back ranks but I'm still reading into the Insightful Warlord
I'm more interested in the new leader features than either of the new presences. while ranged warlords are interesting in principle, I have no interest in playing one.

The one part of the book i'm really unhappy about is the lack of good Paragon Paths. half of them are for combat styles, but there's only one path per style, and each path is also keyed to a single class, even though all of the styles have at least two classes, and sometimes more that can use them. there's no Path to take advantage of grabbing or unarmed attacks for the new fighter power, only one ranged warlord path not reliant on a combat style (or training in arcana, which is another less irksome but still noticeable thing. two paths that require arcana and one that requires specific multiclassing into an arcane class. this is martial power not multi-power dammit.) it's like they made half the paragon paths they planned on, realized they already had a bunch and called it a day.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 am
I understand what you mean... some styles have paragons and others don't and it seems to be they are telling you to be this class with this style because you wont get a special paragon if you do... of course you don't need to take one anyway I don't care so much for the styles anyway because once new powers come out no one will use them unless they work their character along the set amount of powers

I enjoy the feat support for the most part but with the powers they didn't do much to support the older builds like you said with the Beast Ranger... I have seen a few powers that have Ranged weapon/Beast attack but they have been in dragon more than any real book and I like the idea of a falcon or a wolf going in and than I shot arrows... I might not be as good as an archer combat style ranger but I make up for it with my relationship with my animal

Marauder Fighting Style: You gain Two-Weapon Defense (Player's Handbook, page 201) as a bonus feat, even ifyou don't meet the prerequisites. In addition, you gain a +l bonus to speed while you aren't using a shield or a two-handed weapon.

Two-Blade Fighting Style:you can wield a
one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an
off-hand weapon. (Make sure to designate on your
character sheet which weapon is main and which is offhand.)
In addition, you gain Toughness as a bonus feat

Toughness/bigger off hand compared to +1 speed and 1AC 1Reflex

Does that make Two-Blade Fighting Style more like a Barb and Marauder Fighting Style more like a Fighter?
than again... Marauder Fighting Style seems to have more charge moves... so maybe a crisscross

Insightful... seems less of a Wis built Warlord and more of a Wis or Cha built warlord and seems to focus on raising AC... melee based... but has a few bursts...

Commander’s Strike & Direct the Strike are pretty close but I like Direct the Strike better if I'm not INT based  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:08 am
Does this book have the Battlerager errata printed in it?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 am
Arc Vembris
Does this book have the Battlerager errata printed in it?
no. only errata it has is the stealth rules that were in PHB2.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 am
i SOOOO cannot wait for the builder to update!!!

i have the handbook myself, but i'd rather like their builder to have updated with the release of MP2  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:54 pm
I'm waiting another month to do mine... PH3 is just around the corner after all and I'm curious about this Runepriest...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm
Runepriest sounds like a well-deserved second divine leader. Since it needs to be a good choice for dwarves, I'm seeing a Con/Wis build in the making.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm
I'm not pleased if it is a leader... that makes two divine and two arcane  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 pm
Why not? there's already two martial and two arcane strikers. Do you think it would be a defender?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:10 pm
I can't expect it to be a controller... and with a name like Rune priest I doubt striker makes sense... so either Defender or Leader... but your most likely right... just hard to see how it is going to be different than a Cleric... with something like Divine Runes backing it... I see a divine twist on Artificer  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games