Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Conan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 pm
This is a bit of an obscure game. It's called Conan. It's a brutal unbalanced system where you may want to make a second character when you work on your first because it's gritty, realistic, and dark.

Also partly because Robert E Howard had the Hyborian world co created with HP Lovecraft. So it makes it all the more darker of a place.

I could story tell, but it's a pretty obscure system so the trick would be finding people who would want to play it then getting the information as how to. It's essentially the same as D&D 3.5. Except for a few tweaks that make it a darker system. It's also a low magic system. There is magic but it's different. Running into sorcerers flinging giant fireballs is nigh on impossible to find. There are a few elementally inclined, but most of the magic is more subtle or leaning towards summoning or augmentation. There are a few curses but until you get into high levels nothing particularly devastating. Although when you get there it's insane. Curses that will turn bones to gelly and turn people into cursed beasts.

Anyways if people want to know more about getting a game rolling. I'd like to see who's interested.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm
I would love to play, I just need to know what would be aloud and what is different.

Also I can't play everyday of the week. Right now, It is Tuesday -Friday morning, but it can change.

Mostly because, I am the babysitter for my baby nephew. So my single parent brother and my mother(who normally watches over the baby.) can still work and not have to pay an arm and a leg for daycare.  

glitterboypilot

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm
Well Conan has it's own independent that's the same. If you have some of the Conan books just feed me the stats for the progression and what not. If it's balanced with the rest of the party I wont care much. If I'm story telling it's my job to tailor to the party, otherwise I want to give the party as much freedom as possible in character creation.

How ever I will give some warnings. Conan has some complex political influences and some deep racism for good reasons. For instance hykanians and stygians aren't trusted. Mitran worshipers are known to stone suspected witches on the spot if a mob is particularly unruly. Otherwise witch hunting is a valid profession.

Although the other note I would like to make as story teller is pacing is very important to me. So that things keep going so interest stays. Shakespear said it best. Brevity is the soul of wit. So I reserve the right to card board cut out or NPC characters to keep things going. I'll only do this if the majority of the party is ready to roll and only one or two people are missing. Especially if it's simple combat. If it's something a bit climatic I'll make sure to work with a player. (Well I'll always try to work with players. Especially if they're good at communicating with me.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:18 am
I've never heard of this system, but sounds really interesting! I'd love to give it a go though. =) I like dark, gritty campaigns. I've got the perfect character (albeit 3.5, though if it's similar I'm sure I can tweak her).  

joe-dude667

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 am
Just had a skim of Wikipedia on the subject, would this be the "Conan Mongoose", "Conan GURPS", "Conan TSR" or actual "Conan (D&D)"?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:36 am
Conan Mongoose. It's based off of 3.5 but the classes and everything are different. Trust me you want to use the conan system. 3.5 would leave you a bit... vulnerable. Except for the spell casting. I've been considering mixing the conan setting with D&D 3.5. It would be absolute madness.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 pm
Been looking over the core book. Races seem a little confusing since it's more clans than actual races, but none the less I'd love to be a part of this. =)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:54 pm
Well they mean races more like how we mean race too when we say arab or irish? If that makes any sense. It's more of a regional thing however. The northern folk in the frozen lands tend to be much hardier. Like the Nordheimer and Vanir are all about being beastly tanks. The Cimmerians is how you get your arch typical Conan the man hewer types.

If I can get just a few more players (I was thinking 3-8 players.) then I'll whip up a campaign. Although I'm going to need a butt load of visual aids if eight players step in. I might have people contact me on YiM for ease of just communicating small things and the like.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm
Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of people keen on this, come on people! I've got a perfect idea for a Female Rogue-esk Zingaran Temptress.

What levels and such were you planing by the way? Like point buy or roll ability scores?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm
Sounds a lot similar to Ravenloft with less gothic horrory goodness and more Lovecraftian goodness. I might scan through the game, not quite intrested enough to play plus I'm already in 3.  

Durgress

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:53 pm
I'd be starting you all out at 4th level. If only because I don't want to ask you to roll up a second character sheet for when your character inevitably dies at low level.

Also starting gear and what not? You wont be getting heavy armor because that stuff is EEEEXPENSIVE! but other than that you can have what ever as long as it makes sense for the character. I want this to be leaning towards RP in creation, but keep combat in mind. I mean I've seen none combat characters do all right before. But only because they were raging cowards that flung minor things from a distance. (signal flares or ranged attacks. Or stuck close to the tank to support him with the support action. Or distracting foes.)

Then again I've seen some people think they had combat monsters and get treated hard. If we don't get enough people to play I might make an npc to join you all in.

Also for the cherries who've never played before. I'll make a special house rule about survival. It also covers general knowledge about your survival. Who to avoid, what is a common sense good or bad idea in context of the Hyborian Age. Things like that.

Also the era? I think I'm going to do this after Conan has taken the Aquilonian Throne. Although that's going to be a world away from you notice because I'll be starting this in my favorite city. Xuthal, Xuthal? Is the city of thieves. It is a cut throat place full of what the name implies. There are thieves who even operate in the open. We call them nobles and priests. Except most of the nobles who live in Xuthal run their noble houses kind of like a mafia. The other big thing of note is that if you're not a noble or priest. You're most likely a slave or a beggar. On the upside slavery in Xuthal is looked at more like employment. All be it however that the terms of employment are enforced.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games