Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Homebrew - Nature Bond (Bonded Shape) - Updated Jan 18th

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Adding a Poll for awesome??
  Option 1
  Option 2
View Results

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 pm
This is a homebrew option (which would be the 3rd option) for the Nature Bond ability of the Druid in Pathfinder Core.

I would like to get opinions on it, there shall be an update of my thoughts on this project in future posts. Thank you.

===========================
===========================

Quote:
Nature Bond - 3rd Option (Bonded Shape)

The Druid loses his Wildshape ability and in return gains Bonded Shape. Bonded shape acts exactly like wildshape except for the differences noted within Bonded Shapes Description.

+++ A Druid may take the form of a Vermin, or Magical Beast with the appropriate level using Bonded Shape. Taking on the form of a Vermin grants the same benefits of taking on an Animal form. The Abilities gained in the form of a Vermin are up to the DM. Until level 11, all those abilities are half as effective. You can assume the form of an a Vermin of equal size to that of your Animal Forms.

+++ Starting at level 1 the Druid may use Bonded Shape at will to take on the form of a Small or Medium animal. This functions as Beast Shape I except that all the abilities, bonuses and penalties are halved, bonuses are rounded down if need be.

(Lvl's 1-9 all shapes/forms abilities, bonuses, penalties are at half, rounded down if necessary).
(Lvl's 11-19 all shapes/forms opperate as normal).

+++ Starting at level 3 the Druid may use his Bonded Shape as (Beast Shape II, or Elemental Body I)
Once again, all abilities, bonuses, or penalties are halved, and rounded down if necessary.

Nature's Magic
You gain a magic enhancement bonus to your natural attacks equal to 1/4 your Druid level. This bonus functions like that of a normal magical weapon for the purposes of attack, damage, and damage reduction.

+++ Starting at level 5 the Druid may use his Bonded Shape as Beast Shape III, Elemental Body II, or Plant Form I)
Once again, all abilities, bonuses, or penalties are halved, and rounded down if necessary.

Quickened Shape
At level 5 using WildShape becomes a move equivalent action instead of a standard action.

At level 13 using WildShape becomes a swift action instead of a move action.

+++ Starting at level 7 the Druid may use his Bonded Shape as Beast Shape IV, Elemental Body III, or Plant Form II)

+++ Starting at 9th level the Druid may use his Bonded Shape as Elemental Body IV, or Plant Form III)

+++ Once again, all abilities, bonuses, or penalties are halved, and rounded down if necessary.

+++ Starting at 11th level the Druid may use Bonded Shape as Beast Shape I.

+++ Starting at 13th level, the Druid may use Bonded Shape as Beast Shape II, and Elemental Body I.

+++ Starting at 15th level, Beast Shape III, Elemental Body II, or Plant Form I.

+++ Starting at 17th level, Beast Shape IV, Elemental Body III, or Plant Form II.

+++ Starting at 19th level, Elemental Body IV, Plant Form III.

Becoming Familiar with a Form
In order to assume the form of a creature you must be familiarized with the creature. In order to familiarize yourself with a creature you must study either sufficient informative documents on the creature, or the creature itself for a total of 24 hours. You may study in blocks of time as low as 2 hours, but no less. The studying is represented by a Knowledge Check DC 10 plus the studied creature's Challenge Rating.

If you fail to familiarize yourself with the studied creature you may not attempt to study another creature until you have rested for 8 hours.

You may only familiarize yourself with a number of forms equal to Half your Druid Level plus your Intelligence Modifier. You may replace a previously familiarized form with another by studying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:29 am
I'm gonna assume this is a 3.5 shifter. There's no mention here to any benefits to the shifter actually shifting. This seems really cumbersome (as most powers derived from another class' class abilities are) especially when compared to Shapeshift in PHB2. Why don't you just leave this as a class ability, it's not fitting the flavor of the shifter.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

CC Gengar

Aged Millionaire

8,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 am
Arc Vembris
I'm gonna assume this is a 3.5 shifter. There's no mention here to any benefits to the shifter actually shifting. This seems really cumbersome (as most powers derived from another class' class abilities are) especially when compared to Shapeshift in PHB2. Why don't you just leave this as a class ability, it's not fitting the flavor of the shifter.

He mentioned it as Nature Bond though, which is a class mechanic for the Pathfinder Druid.

He also mentioned the Beast Shape spell, which is also Pathfinder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:05 pm
Updated the O.P. to include which system, class, and ability this is for.

Also added a poll..

My processing is currently going through that perhaps I should remove the magical beast shape..

And at level 10-12 wildshaping becomes a move equivalent action.

At level 20, a swift action.

I want to make sure this is balanced though, so I still need opinions.  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am
Updated the O.P. again, big changes.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 am
Updated, really need ratings on balance and usefulness.  

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games