Reply Japanese culture
chopsticks

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

joojoofruit93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 pm
i heard its good fortune if you break your chopsticks perfectly and also it is considered rude to leave your chopsticks stabbed into your food. i have to admit. stabbed food looks pretty offensive... -.-  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:10 pm
what about plastic chopsticks?  

FALKEN DRIFT EXTREME
Captain

5,000 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Bonbon Vanille
Vice Captain

9,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am
FALKEN DRIFT EXTREME

You can't break plastic chopsticks...well you can but thats a different breaking!

Whatever kind of chopsticks dont stab your food! In any case your not even suppose to leave any food on your plate or bowl.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm
Yes, if you put your chopsticks in your food upright, it resembles the incense burned when someone dies. Poking food to pick it up is just plain rude.

Gesturing with your chopsticks as you talk is also considered quite rude. But I have a habit of doing so... sweatdrop

You're also not supposed to lay your chopsticks on the table. If at home you have a chopstick rest. If you're eating out and have the wooden ones out of a paper sleeve, you fold the sleeve in half lengthwise, then tie the long strip into a little knot, and that makes a chopstick rest.

Murasaki Kami

900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Bonbon Vanille
Vice Captain

9,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 pm
my mom taught me how to make a chopstick rest out of the wrapping (the wooden ones). OK so hold the wrapping in front of you with the long edge down as in horizontally. Fold in half left -> right or the other way around. Then fold down / now reverse fold both edges and tada! chopstick stand!

none of you guys probably understood my instructions but ehhh come to meh 4 private lessons >///<

just kidding...it wont be private!  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 pm
That's right~
If you leave your chopsticks stabbed in the center of your food,
it means it's 'food for the dead.'

Here's some interesting do-not's:
http://www.fact-index.com/c/ch/chopsticks.html

LittleKaiju

Questionable Browser

BluJayWay

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:22 am
joojoofruit93
i heard its good fortune if you break your chopsticks perfectly and also it is considered rude to leave your chopsticks stabbed into your food. i have to admit. stabbed food looks pretty offensive... -.-

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. This website has a list on Japanese chopstick etiquette:

Dos and Don'ts of Japanese Chopsticks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:00 am
joojoofruit93

- Leaving chopsticks upright in food is rude because it is done as a funeral ritual.
- Stabbing your food is rude but it also shows that you can't use chopsticks properly and too lazy to try and learn. (It makes you look like a tourist sweatdrop )

more chopstick etiquette:
- Passing food between food using chopsticks is another funeral ritual so you're not supposed to do it.
- pointing at someone with chopsticks is considered very rude
- Don't rub your chopsticks together (to get splinters off) this is REALLY rude and a huge insult because it's like saying the restaurant is cheap and can't afford decent chopsticks. It's similar to calling some one a cheapskate.
- when setting chopsticks down, put them on the lowest plate at the table (if no chopstick rests are available to you) not the table itself.  

Hollow Dirge

Witty Detective

21,990 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Megathread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:51 pm
glassssscandy
FALKEN DRIFT EXTREME

You can't break plastic chopsticks...well you can but thats a different breaking!

Whatever kind of chopsticks dont stab your food! In any case your not even suppose to leave any food on your plate or bowl.

Depending on the country eating all your food can be an insult. It could say that the meal left you hungry and can insult your host. How is it in Japan? I just want to verify what you're saying. It's considered rude if you don't finish everything on your plate? What about the different courses? Portion sizes; Are they smaller in Japan than America?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 pm
Ooo. I never knew =D Well at least I know what I should do know ^,^  

Ryuhanie

Desirable Fatcat

13,125 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Yes it's rude because placing your chopstick into the food is for the dead as an offering I believe?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 am
Catherine
glassssscandy
FALKEN DRIFT EXTREME

Depending on the country eating all your food can be an insult. It could say that the meal left you hungry and can insult your host. How is it in Japan? I just want to verify what you're saying. It's considered rude if you don't finish everything on your plate? What about the different courses? Portion sizes; Are they smaller in Japan than America?
I only know it's rude not to eat a ******** ton in france as it would be an insult to the cook so you have to be careful about how you say you don't want anymore. I have no idea about japan though.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Japanese culture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items