Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaia-Art!

Back to Guilds

This is the guild for members of the DA Group Gaia-Art to chat with each other. 

Tags: Deviant, deviantart, illustration, draw, drawing 

Reply Gaia-Art!
The Red-Line!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like red-lining better or getting your work red lined?
  Red-lining other peoples work
  Getting my work red-lined
  Both equally
  I'm just here for the gold
View Results

AvidLebon
Captain

8,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:08 am
All aboard the Red-Line!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Do you have a picture you drew, but SOMETHING looks off? Maybe it's the anatomy? Perhaps it's the pose? But you JUST CAN'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT? Then this is the thread for you. Here's how it works!

You post a thumbnail of your picture (linked to the larger version so you don't page stretch!) Photobucket is a great image host if you aren't sure who to go with.

Next, your fellow artists will take your picture and draw on it with red (I typically use a new layer on top in Gimp or Photoshop) where they would have drawn things differently and explain why. While you are waiting for someone to do yours, why not try looking at other peoples pictures and see how you can help?

I've found redlining to be very beneficial, for both parties. If I'm getting my lines looked at I can see an alternative way of doing things and usually learn something. If I'm doing the red lines I'm often working on a piece with subject matter out of my norm. So give it a try biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:31 pm
This is a good idea. I don't usually get good critiques.

Please critique this unfinished sig art.
User Image  

Lupas Deva
Vice Captain

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

AvidLebon
Captain

8,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:56 am
User Image

First off, I want to say that MOST of the lines were for me, to make sure that everything is either lining up or trying to figure out proportions/anatomy underneath. (Sometimes when I do redlines, with all those lines ppl think "good god I really messed up!" :3

The first thing I noticed was that the character was approx 4.5 heads tall. Gaia characters tend to be large headed, as do many anime characters as the face is expressive and larger features push emotions further. However, some artists fall into that as their default proportions- real proportions are more around six heads high (for an adult), while idealized superheros get to around 8 heads high. Not something wrong, just something to keep in mind :3

A. When I sketch things I draw them all the way across- even if I can't see it. It makes sure I get the angles right. With the current angle of the bottom of the blade the line would end up closer to her shoulder than the sword hilt. There is the possibility that there's some funky pattern in the blade covered by her shoulder, but I'm going by what I can see and my general knowledge of straight lines. :3

B. Next I noticed the bit in the hair. It looks like you drew the hair, and then redraw over it as you wanted the point looking a bit different. You're probably aware of this already, but since I saw it I decided to point it out.

C. One arm seems to be longer than the other. If the figure were turned I wouldn't be able to do this, as distance makes things things appear smaller than they are. But since she is facing straight forward and the angle on the arms and the figure is standing straight up the elbows should hit the same point vertically.

If you look at the pose, it is fairly symmetrical. The tail and sword helps to counter that a bit. The figure looks at you straight on. I think my biggest qualm with this is figures that look at you straight on can easily develop "cardboard cutout syndrome" meaning characters will look flatter and less proportionate. Turning a figure just a bit gives it more depth and can help it look my dynamic.

I like how you redrew the features of each side. So many artists would get lazy and copy+paste and flip. Ugh. I think not copying brings it to a higher quality.

Hope that was helpful and made sense. :3  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:41 am
AvidLebon

First off, I want to say that MOST of the lines were for me, to make sure that everything is either lining up or trying to figure out proportions/anatomy underneath. (Sometimes when I do redlines, with all those lines ppl think "good god I really messed up!" :3

The first thing I noticed was that the character was approx 4.5 heads tall. Gaia characters tend to be large headed, as do many anime characters as the face is expressive and larger features push emotions further. However, some artists fall into that as their default proportions- real proportions are more around six heads high (for an adult), while idealized superheros get to around 8 heads high. Not something wrong, just something to keep in mind :3

A. When I sketch things I draw them all the way across- even if I can't see it. It makes sure I get the angles right. With the current angle of the bottom of the blade the line would end up closer to her shoulder than the sword hilt. There is the possibility that there's some funky pattern in the blade covered by her shoulder, but I'm going by what I can see and my general knowledge of straight lines. :3

B. Next I noticed the bit in the hair. It looks like you drew the hair, and then redraw over it as you wanted the point looking a bit different. You're probably aware of this already, but since I saw it I decided to point it out.

C. One arm seems to be longer than the other. If the figure were turned I wouldn't be able to do this, as distance makes things things appear smaller than they are. But since she is facing straight forward and the angle on the arms and the figure is standing straight up the elbows should hit the same point vertically.

If you look at the pose, it is fairly symmetrical. The tail and sword helps to counter that a bit. The figure looks at you straight on. I think my biggest qualm with this is figures that look at you straight on can easily develop "cardboard cutout syndrome" meaning characters will look flatter and less proportionate. Turning a figure just a bit gives it more depth and can help it look my dynamic.

I like how you redrew the features of each side. So many artists would get lazy and copy+paste and flip. Ugh. I think not copying brings it to a higher quality.

Hope that was helpful and made sense. :3

Nice critique. It leaves a good example for others to follow.

Does anyone have a pic for me to critique?  

Lupas Deva
Vice Captain

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

Angel Bella Lovely

Beloved Bloodsucker

7,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05 am

User Image
One of my (many) current WIP's... any suggestions to improve would be loved heart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm very concious of my lineart, any suggestions would be loved.
It's too big and I'm not too good at thumbs

If it asks for a pw - gaiarocks

This is a lineart that I hope to put up on da, if I haven't put it up already.

TemperamentalGoddess

Shadowy Lover

Gaia-Art!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces