Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Would this be blastphemy? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:57 pm
I was at church for Christmas mass, only mass I'm garanteeded to go during the year.

I got board and suddenly. Jozan pops into my head, yep Players Handbook, Cleric of Palor Jozan.

Blessing the gathered with his god given gifts. Before an epic dule with an evil Cleric.

Was an interesting moment and I realised. I wish Jozan ran my church. I'd go alot more XD

Any moment like this for anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:07 pm
Being Pagan.... I would definitely go to church if Jozan ran the clergy.
Just because how epic that would be... And how close we would be to the world of D&D.

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 pm
i go to church weekly.

I agree, church would be a lot more exciting if clerics a/o priests were granted power from god(s). Unfortunately, we live in the real world, and the only power that priests have is their influence over people.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:16 pm
Sorry, but I don't believe in religion (not the same as being atheist, and the next person to say otherwise will get cracked in the head by the first think I see/think of.), so usually when I do go to church or temple or whatever I just do the motions. And it's only Christmas for us now. So....

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 pm
Nah, not blasphemy. Not to me at least. lol.

Aside from that.

... AND TO ALL A GOOD---  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:24 am
MT the Clown
Sorry, but I don't believe in religion (not the same as being atheist, and the next person to say otherwise will get cracked in the head by the first think I see/think of.)

You believe in the divine providence of swift violence!  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:09 am
I don't go to church because I'm pretty convinced that the church is evil.

Not that the religion is evil at all. But the churches are, not trying to start a theological debate by bringing out points. I have enough evidence to satisfy my own curiosity. I also hate fundamentalists and zealots, so if someone was actually given powers from god. That thought makes me very afraid because they could get away with a lot "in the name of god".

I'm not even sure if I believe in religions, I think there might be some kind of metaphysical unifying principles underlying with in several religions. How ever I do look at the big pictures and think that celebrations of life and being thankful are plenty enough of positive things to celebrate.

All that aside though to more directly answer the question. In hypothetical land where everything doesn't have to equal out, if? Yes. If a fictional cleric came in and started running the church and blessing us all. Then again if a cleric started blessing us all for a random epic fight, I would be out of there running so fast. "AND WHEN YOU SMITE THEM!" "When I what?" *Peaces out very quickly into car drives home stocks up on food weapons and bomb shelters.*  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:29 am
MT the Clown
Sorry, but I don't believe in religion (not the same as being atheist, and the next person to say otherwise will get cracked in the head by the first think I see/think of.)

you not believe in religion, but religion believes in you....hmmm...that sounded a lot more insightful before i wrote it out....

and to elaborate a bit on what i said before is that those in charge of religion have realized the vast amount of influence they have and tend to take advantage of that in negative ways...like the catholic church covering of all the sexual assaults, or Islams justifying war as a Jihad...to state only a couple in a long list.....  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:33 pm
*Coughcrusadescough*  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:40 pm
Oh, that's a real long list: Crusades, slavery of the African people, assaults on the Mayans, Aztecs, Japan, China; Jihad, Ireland's suffered quite a bit due to religion, missionaries. That last one is funny because missionaries always go to places that are in need of help, islands and lands boardering large bodies of water that floods or gets hit by hurricanes, volcanoes, basically any disaster (man-made or natural) missionaries come out of the woodwork. I like the fact they offer relief, but then to say that they'll offer more if the people start joining them for church and whatnot. That's what puts a Florida predatory stink bugs up my craw.

But in the end, my disbelief for religion is not because I refuse someone telling me what to do or even the hypocrisy. Rather my dislike for religion is because it's a driving wedge to people that are already divided. As George Carlin puts it: Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, all taking turns killing each other because God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the lamb, vengeance is mine, millions of dead ********, all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question: "Do you believe in God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger d**k than your god!"

http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=17189  

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:54 pm
MT the Clown
Oh, that's a real long list: Crusades, slavery of the African people, assaults on the Mayans, Aztecs, Japan, China; Jihad, Ireland's suffered quite a bit due to religion, missionaries. That last one is funny because missionaries always go to places that are in need of help, islands and lands boardering large bodies of water that floods or gets hit by hurricanes, volcanoes, basically any disaster (man-made or natural) missionaries come out of the woodwork. I like the fact they offer relief, but then to say that they'll offer more if the people start joining them for church and whatnot. That's what puts a Florida predatory stink bugs up my craw.

But in the end, my disbelief for religion is not because I refuse someone telling me what to do or even the hypocrisy. Rather my dislike for religion is because it's a driving wedge to people that are already divided. As George Carlin puts it: Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, all taking turns killing each other because God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the lamb, vengeance is mine, millions of dead ********, all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question: "Do you believe in God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger d**k than your god!"

]http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=17189
I swear, everyone is wearing those christmas clothes as of late. I'll put mine on when they drop out of fashion. lol So hard to tell people apart, didn't know it was you.

Anyway, good post, made me laugh. Love the George Carlin quote.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:53 pm
I'm not going to add to a theological debate, but my favorite part of this thread was people saying they "don't believe in religion". To me, that's like saying you don't believe in the sky, or Genghis Khan, or bunnies. Saying you don't FOLLOW any religion, now that's a completely different kettle of fish right there smile

But maybe its the mathematical semi-neo-darwinist in me nitpicking :3  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:59 pm
To the first post, not by the defintion. We are tested daily, and I would call someone a liar if they said they didn't wish for something better than this world. So, I would say don't worry about it, if you slip and stumble from time to time.

To the George Carlin quote; Humans are going to fight over anything and everything we can. Religion, Relationships, Resources, Land, Left shoes, Human rights, Animal rights, Plant Rights, What version of Dnd is better than the other, Etc. The "lower" will always be opressed by the "Higher" If the higher wants something. And the leaders of the higher will try to hide the truth and put a good spin on it so their people will follow.

When we can work together we can make wonders, when we can't we make war....

If anyone is wondering I don't follow a religion, I follow the teachings of Christ. If someone is wondering the difference. I will never start a war or kill someone for answering the god question differently than me. and unlike alot of the extremist, I will not shove my translation of the bible down your throat.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:37 pm
I don't think its so bad. Course everyone around me thinks I'm crazy for believing that dragons do exist, and for everyonce and a while cursing to a DnD god's name. Ex: "By Moradin's Beard!"

I also don't go to church as much as others "think" I should, I just don't see the point in it. I get that I'm supposed to go to learn what God wants me to know, but who really comes up with what 'he' has to say? I'm kind of like MT in this manner, don't truly follow a religion, but I believe that there could always be the chance of there being something greater out there.  

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:52 am
Hmm, I assume most/all of you that have posted are on the west side of the atlantic correct? Is it odd to be a chirstian in America and not go to church? I.E. if you believe in God and everything, and then don't ever go to church, are you looked down upon by your peers? Because I live in England, and believe in God and am a Christian, despite the fact that he saw fit to take my Dad away at the far yoo young age of 47. And I haven't been to church in years, I don't pray, (except for in 'extreme' circumstances, see - my dad) I don't wear a cross or anything etc. But in England, that isn't strange, no one I know, whether they believe in God or not, goes to church, would that be considered odd on your side of the pond?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff