Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Races with LA or RHD, 3.5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 am
So... yea, sometimes I want to play something unique but lots of people dislike things with more than LA+1 or any form of Racial Hit Dice. So, I'm curious as to how people would handle it, aside from you 'don't allows'. I'm asking for all those people who want to play stuff like a Lycanthrope or Ogre, or even something else that's weird and unique that has it's own advantages and maybe even lots of disadvantages.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:55 am
I usualy go with the Savage Species way of doing things myself.

If it's somthing that's not done with SS I'll break it down as best I can into Racal levels equal to the LA of the subject myself.

Though saying that I allow free levels in my campain, to allow people to take things like that

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 am
As a DM, I've been burned by this, and by SS, in the past. So many o the monstrous races become rather binary, in that when they're good they're super-crazy-outshine the group good, and when they're not as useful they're not useful at all. The ogre's reach and strength will dominate melee combat, especially given some of the abuses available through CW, but it'll be near worthless outside of physical challenges. Vampires are all super cool, except during, like, the day, or at sea.

The best way to go is to find a compromise race that has the same flavor, but with toned-down powers, but you still have to be wary. Half-ogres have all the Large-size-abuses that ogres have and the SS version is way too strong for +1 LA(Races of Destiny nerfs this to +2) and Half Vampires in LM are similarly +2. The shifter OTOH, is a great way to have a lycanthropic flavor that you can build up through the levels with feats and PrCs. Eberron was a great boon is this respect, and Player's Guide to Faerun includes toned-down versions of planetouched and drow races with lower LAs, but not everyone's willing to make a compromise.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 am
Thats a consideration I'd make as well. Looking for a similer, player friendly, race is much easier.

I'd be a bit of a git, a talor a fight against the brutes and the like. I guess it's a patch instead of a fix. But it gives everyone a chance.

Or I'd throw in somthing to take the Oger's attention for long enough =3

War Hulk from tje Mini handbook is awsome for this XD

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

sltttbrgr

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:36 pm
Gestalt, apply all the LA and HD on only one side.

Handwave the LA and HD, with mature players an/or alternative drawbacks this should be possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:16 pm
Interesting thoughts. Also, reason I dislike just getting the 'lycanthrope feel' instead of being one is cause it's really not the same. You can't shift into a big furry monster and kick a**.

Hell, I once thought of an interesting idea for a werewolf. One in which he didn't have a human form, just wolf and werewolf. Fun times there,  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:45 pm
Shifters can shift into a big furry monster and kick a**. They always shift, hence the name, and a** kicking is really a matter of level and can be enhanced by choosing feats that bump your bonuses when shifting. Add the Weretouched Master PrC and you can fully become your animal of choice.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games