Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D on Microsoft Surface

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:58 am
Link here,, Kotaku.

Has anyone else seen this yet? What do you think of it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:55 am
I saw the proof of concept video, i think it was linked on Penny Arcade.

I think it's a cool concept, but as Kotaku points out both on that link and the one for the original vid, Microsoft Surface makes it an expensive idea too. I'm curious how much of an audience it'll have when it actually gets finished  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

bamaotaku
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am
Best...Christmas....Gift....EVAR!!!

That and the Ultimate Gaming Table.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 pm
I'd like to play using one, but if it became available on the market, I don't think I'd BUY one sweatdrop  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 am
It quite literally looks exactly like MapTools, except it's better graphics, and way more expensive.

Personally, I'd stick with MapTools, you get the LoS, Fog of War, Auto updates, character sheets, people can join, and what not. As I said

Just better graphics it seems. Then again, I've yet to play an actual game with MapTools, but I have checked out the program itself, fooled around with it, and have watched the tutorials.

Seems the exact same.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 am
Insanity Logic
It quite literally looks exactly like MapTools, except it's better graphics, and way more expensive.

Personally, I'd stick with MapTools, you get the LoS, Fog of War, Auto updates, character sheets, people can join, and what not. As I said

Just better graphics it seems. Then again, I've yet to play an actual game with MapTools, but I have checked out the program itself, fooled around with it, and have watched the tutorials.

Seems the exact same.
it's also at a table, in real life as opposed to online, which is a significant difference.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm
Which also takes into question of real life gaming, and DMing.

Question one: Is this product good for on the fly DM's who like to make s**t up as they go.

Answer one: Probably not, considering that they'd have to make up the map on the spot as they go. Losing that video game environmental feel and replacing it sort of with a paint board that gives you animated orcs dying within 2.5 seconds. Way to waste your money.

That or the DM would be spending most of the session assembling the play area from the pictures and things he's gathered to make them.

Question Two: How often shall you are your friends be able to get together and make the most out of this product?

Answer Two: That's entirely up to you, but you know, the entire reason we play online is that it's easy, you can perhaps feel more relaxed, and aren't really pressured to rush things all too much.

I'm sure that we all like to play the game in real life, I'm just saying.

How much is this thing going to cost, what will be the specs required to use it efficiently, and will you get your moneys worth. (I never liked the word moneys.. I'm replacing as of now.. Monies. Monies... Hey.. firefox isn't spellchecking that... >.> Both are right? <.<

Personally, it's an O.K. product, but it just seems like a bad product for on the fly DMs.

I dislike it, but I see how it's good. I'll sit in the background and just watch from now on. lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:50 pm
Well, the biggest problem is that a fair-sized Microsoft Surface costs upwards of at least $10,000 right now, probably metric tons closer. However, what I'd like more is if you could make it interface through Myth-Weavers, and take all of your stats from that. The Paladin creates a zone that buffs all defenses by 2, and you're inside it? Your character suddenly has +2 to every defense in the Temp modifier slot.

What I like even more is just that someone can do this with multi-touch technology. I think Apple's supposed to come out with something really early next year, January or something, that does the same thing as the Surface.

But in reply to Insanity, above me:
I think you're right about the on-the-fly DM thing. I'm sure there are ways around it, but the entire reason Tabletop does so well is because you can toss in whatever you'd like. As for "making up the map", all they have to do is make an open content thing like MapTools does with its icons. Drag and drop in a pre-done Orc animation real quick that you downloaded off of a different website, and there you go. It's got a LONG way to go, for sure; this thing is in its infancy, at best. But every technological advance is, and I'm sure DMs everywhere wouldn't mind just moving a small brush from point A to point B on a screen and having all the math done out for them instead of having to slog through player mistakes, their own mistakes, so on and so forth.  

Wrong Angles

Dapper Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:09 pm
But then we're getting lazy >.> And it's a video game, not a board game.

Hell, I'll be one of the first to jump on the holo-deck DnD band wagon, but I'm just saying. lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:34 pm
Seven different shades of awesome.

I must however ask myself, why?
People who can afford microsoft surface can afford hand made miniatures of every single monster in the manuals.  

sltttbrgr

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:06 am
dixieboy
Seven different shades of awesome.

I must however ask myself, why?
People who can afford microsoft surface can afford hand made miniatures of every single monster in the manuals.

He's got a good point, and you don't run the risk of your entire D&D campaign being short circuited, or magna-wiped. >.> That or it just being plain broken.

Only thing it's got up on it would be storage space.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games