Reply SCA Guild
Dancing!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:16 am
(First off - sorry I've been gone so long! Life kind of went - '*SPLODE!*'.)

I've recently started 'teaching' dance in my shire (Cae Mor) and the next shire over (Tir Bannog).

I put teaching in quotations, because I'm really just learning myself. Heck, my first time dancing anything in the SCA was in August 2009, and I ended up teaching a class in November 2009. eek
(With a grand total of 1 dance class at SYGC in LionsGate, and three dance classes in Seagirt, in attendance under my belt! xd That's it)

I don't know much, but I enjoy sharing what I know with others (and I find the dancing so much fun!!).

I've taught the Korobushka (post-period, but an 'ism' in many circles), and Gay Gordom.
If I can figure out the darn haying in the Black Nag, I'd love to teach that. I've also been thinking of trying to teach the Black Almond - but I need music, and a bit more study on the steps to do that. biggrin

My first class was quite entertaining, actually ... it ended in a brawl on the floor thought ... sweatdrop (That's what I get for trying to teach dance to Wolfpack members rofl )

I was wondering if anyone else actually teaches dance, or takes any SCA dance classes, or has favourite dances they enjoy.
Or any dancings stories to share. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:18 pm
I'm a dancer, as is my Laurel. (I'm one of those mythical Calontir ones, too!)

I have to say I love Confesse and Rufty Tufty, though I'm also branching out into Italians with Gelosia. I'm decent with advanced ECD, but Italians give me headaches.

Black Alman is easy-peasy. The first class I taught featured Black Alman because it was so to teach and learn.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 pm
You dancers amaze me. While I enjoyed Northshield's Dance Seminar a few years back, I clearly am in possession of two left feet.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 pm
I am a fan of Horses' Bransle. It's like Renaissance speed dating.  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 am
Sir_Catherine
You dancers amaze me. While I enjoyed Northshield's Dance Seminar a few years back, I clearly am in possession of two left feet.

I don't have two left feet, myself - but I DO tend to try things I'm clearly not up to ("Complicated dances, with no previous experience? SURE I'll give it a try and make a fool of myself!" rofl )

I *DO* however C.O.N.S.T.A.N.T.L.Y. turn in the wrong direction. Unless I've got a strong partner, who is right on the ball with the beat as I am - I turn the wrong way. xd

I'm very musically inclined, so I'm right on the ball to start the move - but if I'm supposed to turn over my right, I turn over my left - and vice versa. sweatdrop heart

I've got the Black Almon down - but I'm having trouble on the Black Nag. When it gets to the haying - I'm having serious issues. gonk  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games