Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
PHB3 Debut Class: Ardent

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkyCore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm
This months Players Handbook 3 Debut content is a new Psionic Class, the Ardent. Its available on the Character Builder for DDI subscribers right NOW!

I think I love this Class....

Power Source: Psionic
Role: Leader
Key Abilities: Charisma, Constitution, Wisdom

Weapons: Simple Melee and Range, Military Melee
Armor: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail

They have two class feature powers, one (encounter) that allows each ally within a close burst 5 to either shift 1 square or move half their speed as a free action, when the Ardent is Blooded by an attack.

The other is a Heal Power, Similar to the Warlords, but has different bonus effect depending on which Ardent Mantel (class build option) you select.

Like the Psion Class, Ardents use Power Points. Which means you don't get Encounter powers, only At-will and Daily Powers, but the Ardent's At-Will powers can be augmented by spending power points to activate additional effects for that power.

Just looking at the level 1 At-Wills, and I started Drooling over this class...

Energizing Strike(0 Power Points): 1[W] +Cha damage, and one ally gains temp HP.

Energizing Strike(1): 1[W] +Cha damage, and one dying ally gains Cha Mod HP.

Energizing Strike(2): 2[W] +Cha damage, and you or one ally can spend a healing surge.

Focusing Strike is similar but instead of HP you grant saving throws to your allies. Spend a Power Point and you can add your Wis Mod to the saving throw if its against a Fear or Charm Effect. 2 Points and all allies withing 5 squares make a saving throw.

Personally, I think this is pure awesome! I must play this class!!! as soon as my Paladin dies on my live game... I'm gettin my Psy on! ....Can a Paladin commit suicide?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm
I'm having trouble grokking the power point system this and the psion use for encounters. i think i'll have to see it in use before I can really get behind it, but the fluff of the ardent is pretty neat. i want to see what the debuff/offensive build looks like.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

SkyCore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm
The Power Point system is a bit odd, its a major change to 4e Rules.

at level one you get 2 Power Points. you can use those points to activate a level 2 augment, or two level 1 augments. these points make up for the missing encounter powers.

you gain an additional at-will power at level 3, and the option to replace one of your At-Will Powers at Level 7, 13, 17, 23, and 27.

You also gain additional Power Points as you level up up to a maximum of 15 at level 27.

If i understand this right, that means you'd have (by End Game) 3 At wills that you can augment, 4 Daily Powers, and 7? Utilities powers.

eh, when I think about it, I might be a bit disappointed that I'd have fewer powers to play with, but you do get more control over the powers you use since you determine when and how you spent your Points.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 pm
PrismCity
The Power Point system is a bit odd, its a major change to 4e Rules.

at level one you get 2 Power Points. you can use those points to activate a level 2 augment, or two level 1 augments. these points make up for the missing encounter powers.

you gain an additional at-will power at level 3, and the option to replace one of your At-Will Powers at Level 7, 13, 17, 23, and 27.

You also gain additional Power Points as you level up up to a maximum of 15 at level 27.
i get it on paper, i just don't know how effective or annoying it might be in practice. i also saw it posted on wotc's boards that when you get into epic teir both psions and ardents are the only classes that still do one die of damage with their at-wills (unaugmented at least)  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

SkyCore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm
Yeah I'm looking at the level 27 Powers now...

Unaugmented 1[W], that's really kinda sucky...

but with 2 points you can augment the power to do 2[W], with 15 power points you could do this a maximum of 7 times.

6 Points lets you do 4[W].....

so I don't know... 1[W] at epic tier is practically nothing but these aren't Striker classes so damage isn't their primary focus...

Its hard for me to comment, I've never played an Epic Level games... or Paragon either.... *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:15 am
guys still keep in mind those are designed to be used as every round attacks... yea you have weaker at-wills because at 21 they don't buff up like everyone elses at wills but you still use the power points to make them encounter powers plus we know nothing about feats, paragons and so on that might effect such things... over all I'll be honest I never cared for psionics in pretty much any D&D just because they ruined the vision of going around hitting people with swords and magic when... you pretty much got a group of guys that all have headaches all the time walking around causing stuff to blow up... really ruined the fantasy for me personally  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

SkyCore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 am
JinKazamaru
over all I'll be honest I never cared for psionics in pretty much any D&D just because they ruined the vision of going around hitting people with swords and magic when... you pretty much got a group of guys that all have headaches all the time walking around causing stuff to blow up... really ruined the fantasy for me personally

Well if you want to hit things with swords then the Ardent is perfect, ALL of their powers are weapon attacks. They have no ranged powers and No Implements. The Psionic part kicks in with the additional effect of buffing allies with each sword swing.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 am
I'll stick to Warlord with its javelins one of the few classes and use such a weapon  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:26 pm
Javelins are simple weapons, most classes can use them.

Lots of fantasy sources use psionics, in fact in most places the line between psi and magic is near-completely obscured. It's them term 'psionics' and its juxtaposition with arcane magic that would otherwise make it seem more science fictiony. They're all just difference forms of superpowers, whether one guy waves his hands to get it done or mind-pushes you, it's the same effect.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:06 pm
agreed  

SkyCore

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas