Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 5:: Topic: Resources.
OK GUYS This is EPIC!!! SHRINKY DINK RECYCLING SYSTEM!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you recycle plastic into a shrinky dink? 8]
  Yes! =]
  NO ]8<
  WTF IS A SHRINKY DINK?!?!?!?!? >=[
View Results

Lita-chan4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:41 pm
So...
I rarely ever get on Gaia anymore.
Why?
College. In fact, It's Exam Week. I shouldn't even be on here. But I thought I'd check out what was going on in the guild since I only got to post on here once before...

Well you didn't click to hear me ramble you came to find out about the Shrinky Dink Recycling System! =]

Well, my friends (well... complete strangers really... but anyway) I shall tell you! =]

You see, I was really getting into the idea of Shrinky dinks so I've been researching them. I spent hours upon hours looking at stuff on Deviant Art and Google and asking people questions.

I don't know why I didn't just go to YouTube! *facepalm*

As soon as I typed in the words "Shrinky Dinks" and pressed the enter button, YouTube returned with a video of a little kid making shrinky dinks. Doesn't sound that impressive right? =/

WRONG!!!!!!! D8<

This kid made her shrinky dinks out of used #6 plastic! It turns out that that's what shrinky dinks are; #6 Plastic! =] And As we all know (especially us college students that are fortunate enough to have a recycling system) #6 Plastic cannot be easily recycled and is therefore not eleigible for most recycling services.

UNTIL TODAY!!!! =]

I encourage you to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_BC94oBeWQ

I know it's a little kid instructing you all how to do this, but I thought it was a great video because it taught me a new way to recycle and gave me a solution to a problem I'd been having! =] (locating shrinky dink paper and getting off campus to buy it)

So if any of you are stuck on your college campus and the salad bar you have at your campus has those big salad containers made of #6 plastic, I encourage you to eat more salad (which will hopefully cut down your meat comsumption and thereby your carbon foot print a bit) and then proceed to turn the container into a shrinky dink! =] I'll be doing this myself one the salad bar re-opens! =] (it's closed on weekends =[ )

Some shrinky dink ideas: draw and print your own art creations and turn them into jewlery or keychains/phone-charms! =] Check out DA for some great examples of what you can do with a shrinky dink! =]

Have fun guys! =]

-Lita-chan4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:58 pm
i checked it out, i might make ssome if i have the chance

oh and i saw your comment too  

Account Inacctive

Lita-chan4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:43 pm
YAY! =] I'm glad someone other than me will be making shrinky dinks in the name of recycling! =]
And cool! someone saw my post!I feel like less of a bum now! =]
I wish you good luck with your shrinky dinks! =]  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:29 am
YESH! I LOVE SHRINKY DINKS!
And I could never seem to find shrinky dinks anywhere I go! =O
This is amazin!
I'm sooo gonna do this!
(but does anyone think they could post a written how-to? I don't have sound on my computer... emo )  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

freddie07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 am
Thanks...I watched the video on utube and thought how creative and green. Have already shared this with friends and family. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:32 pm
i remember shrinky dinks. somebody gave me a box kit when i was a kid. then we ran out of the plastic, and started using the lids to deli containers. yeah, don't leave them in too long. that could get a little... messy (ruined mom's good cookie sheet lol ). we didn't sand them, though (not that i remember). that's probably a good idea.
another thing we made with that were mobiles to hang by the window.  

Metal Wallflower

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 am
...o.O
Am I the only one who doesn't know what a Shrinky Drink is?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:08 am
Sazzie Lotus Song
...o.O

yes lol

they are plastic toys you put in the oven and they shrink. i havent heard about them in years though  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 am
Okay. xd Thanks. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm
>.< I have no idea what a Shrinky Dink is. Guess I'll have to investigate. *Goes to link*  

Stars Flying
Vice Captain

Metal Wallflower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 am
so, i have all these jars that i use (the ones with the clasp lids) for all of my dry goods and baking mixes (i have to make my own, due to severe food allergies). well, i can't always remember what i put in them, and they're too nice to scribble on the outside with a marker. labels seemed like a good idea, but i wanted something that could be a little more durable than cardboard, and didn't have to be gotten rid of after a while.
now, that shrinky-dink thing lends itself well to making permanent labels for things that i use all the time, like pancake mix, brown rice, etc. and then attach them with a beaded keychain. so, i'm looking for more plastic lids. think i'll call mom. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 pm
Sazzie Lotus Song
...o.O
I didn't until I watched the video

BTW Great idea kid in the video!  

Destructive Hampster

4,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:51 pm
YESH!
AFTER A LONG AND EXHAUSTING HUNT FOR THE HOLY #6 PLASTIC MY QUEST HAS ENDED!

Apparently the little plastic cups my HS's fruit comes in(my friends buy lunch) is #6 plastic!

I couldn't find it anywhere else! =O

Now for some smexeh cellphone charmz!!!! =P  
5:: Topic: Resources.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces