Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Duskblade 3.5 Question... really bugging me. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:12 am
Alright so in the duskblade under spells known it states:
"You begian play knowning two 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells, chosen from the duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell for each point of intelligence bonus."

Now here is where it gets me agervated... my gray Elf duskblade is begaining play with a 20 int... there for would know 7 0-level spells acording to this... BUT! The list only give you FOUR to chose from... so now I waste 3 freaking spells known slots?!
Did they amde this clas with the thought in mind that people would only put a 15 in that stat?
Or is it a typo and should be 1st-level like a wizard?

Please let me know thoughts and if anyone has read/knows what it states in the errata assuming there is one... or that it's in there.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 pm
While looking at the class, and searching online... nope! 4 and that's it. Pretty stupid, but hey! 0-level spells. Are they really that crucial?

I think there's feats that add to your spell list, but I'm about to leave so I don't have time to poke around for them sweatdrop  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm
Well the character concept has no room to blow feats on that... infact to even have it work kind of right I need two flaws.

alright... thanks I guess if anyone else has anything to add I'll take it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 am
I think it has to do with the fact that the class isn't really made to be caster-heavy. The spells are to act as a support factor to your combat skills. So, rather than pumping the bulk of stats into Int, you'd make it a moderately high stat and place the higher ones in either Str, Con, and/or even Dex.

Also, while you're limited on how many spells you can know, having a higher Int also affects the number of spells you can cast per day, so that's a plus. Is there any particular reason you want a Duskblade with 20 Int?  

bamaotaku
Crew

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm
Makes good for DCs even if there are not alot of them as well as bonus spells... in the end it may not be worth it and I might do some point shifting.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:31 pm
That's what I would suggest. If you wanted to, you could choose a couple of the spells from the same school that you really like, focus on casting them, then get feats like Spell Focus.  

bamaotaku
Crew

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:50 pm
In fairness, Arcane Attunement gives duskblades three more cantrips to use as spell-like abilities.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:10 pm
yeah and having a high int boosts that so.  

Archfiend Damio

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:30 pm
I open up some of the Spell Compendium cantrips that are appropriate, like Sonic Snap or Launch Bolt, for duskblades. The problem with the DB's cantrips is that there aren't a ton of offensive cantrips for them in the core rules, and they didn't reference non-core books very often when they released new publications. So it becomes something of a DM call...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 am
Disciple makes a good point. You could always go to your DM, "I can has cantrips?"

Hopefully, your DM doesn't go "ZOMG NO CANTRIPS ARE SO BROKEN YOU CAN NOT HAS evil "

sweatdrop  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am
But cantrips are so breken Rain, have you ever seen them in capable hands? It's DOOM FOR US ALL O_O

Well it's shits and giggles stuff you can cast for fun times =D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:02 pm
I loves me Pathfinder's at will cantrips. Wizard photo-copiers ahoy!

(That'd be at will amanuensis from the Spell Compendium, if ya don't know...)  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 pm
I loves me 4e's at-will cantrips, floating talking sock puppets ahoy!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 pm
EFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR 4e TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Archfiend Damio

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Your exclamation points smell of fear. My at-will prestidigitation can remove that smell.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff