Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[Xmas '09 Contest] -- Race to the North -- Pick Your Prizes! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 32 33 34 35 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:29 am
The Race to the North
Xmas '09 Contest - Signup/Game Thread

[ While in town... ]
As you sit in your favourite local tavern, a rather plump older gentleman enters the building. Plump is perhaps being nice, but at least his clothes are large enough to cover his form. Aside from his size, the next most apparent thing about this man is the fluffy, full white beard that is on his face. It rivals a dwarf's beard in length, though a dwarf clearly takes better care of theirs. He even has a full head of white hair, which is mostly covered by a red cap with white fluff around where it meets his head.

A few people turn and stare but it oddly doesn't seem to bother him. His eyes scan across the room before falling on you, and he saunters across the room to stand before you. He grins, and reaches into a pouch at his waist held to a thick black belt with golden straps - withdrawing a piece of parchment and placing it on the table before you.

He gives a hearty "Oh-Ho-Ho!" laugh, then retreats back to the entrance, then steps outside. A few of the stares have now fallen on you, who are probably utterly baffled. Still... out of curiosity, you open up the folded parchment:

"Dear Reader,

This may come as a surprise to you, but I am quite a generous man and thus have an offer for you. Should to reach the far northern reaches of the land, I will bestow upon you a great bag of treasure which you may use as you desire. There are no strings attached, or catches - you just need to get here.

However... you will not be the only one, and the journey will not be easy. But rest assures - totally worth your while.

- Nick

P.S. It'd be a shame if this treasure went to waste! Or everyone else got here first and took it all and you got nothing! Hurry now!"

[ 09' D&DG Xmas Contest ]

Hey everyone. :]

So finally, here is the Christmas contest I've been talking about. It isn't actually starting yet - however, I need time to prepare the resources for the game and gather characters together, hence the sign-ups.

It is a bit more complex/involved that the Halloween Contest, so please make sure you read everything carefully from this point on - especially the rules.

As well - you have until December 7th 2009 to sign-up. This is the day when the game starts.

This post has the intro to the game, and how the game works.
The second post will be the FAQ - where questions are asked. It will also have the rules and prize list.
The third post lists how to make a character.
The fourth post will have the signed-up characters.

Anyway, without further stalling....

[ Xmas Contest - The Way It Works ]

The idea is something like a board game. I create a grid/'track' which is about 100 squares long. The idea is to get from one end.. to the other end. Each day/turn (same thing), each person rolls 2d6 to determine how many squares forward they move. The first person to the finish is the winner. However, there is more to it.

Before you even take your first turn, you need to make a character (purpose explained below). You get a stat array and assign the 6 scores to the 6 attributes - Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, and Cha. You then pick a race which can either modify these base scores, or give no change depending on the race. You then pick a class, with each class having their own ability which can help you reach the finish.

Now, it isn't just a straight run to the finish. The reason you need to make a character is because there are challenges along the way. These challenges are ability checks, varying in difficulty between easy, moderate, and hard. Some challenges allow for multiple abilities to be used to bypass them, while others only have one (and very few have three.. no more then that, however.) If you succeed on a challenge, you continue on your remaining spaces. If you fail a challenge... you go back spaces equal to what movement you have remaining. In addition to challenges, there will be split paths along the way - some of these you can choose, while others you go on as the result of a challenge just prior to the split.

For example... you could reach a log spanning over a gorge, as the challenge before a split. Succeed on the check and you take the "High Path," fail - and you take the "Low Path." These sort of challenges will be different from the norm (so failure on these will NOT send you backwards, just modify the split you take.)

Now, initially... all splits and challenges will be unknown. This is where it may not always pay to be first. The first person to a challenge uncovers it for all to see. So if Player A reaches an unknown challenge, it will be revealed to him then - and everyone else - that it is say.. a Dexterity check. This allows for people to prepare to skip it, or avoid it. So the downside to being first is facing unknown challenges... the downside to being further behind is the fact that you're further from winning the contest/race. The same applies to split paths. Person A can reach Split A, and will need to pick.. North, or south? Say he picks.. North - it will then be revealed that be picked "Kobold Infested Caves" and everyone else will know what the north path is. The second person there can either then take the Kobold-infested caves, or brave the unknown south path. If they take the south path, and it is revealed to be "Frozen Lake," then the third person can choose to take the Frozen Lake path or the Kobold Infested Caves path. Naturally, the type of path can give you an idea of what sort of ability checks will be there.. Kobold-infested caves may have a lot of Str or Con checks, while the Frozen Lake - Dex, Con, or Int.

This should help people who are behind to catch up, not only allowing them to see upcoming challenges but to also see upcoming splits and plan accordingly to help cover ground lost to the leader.

Now, I'm sure there will be questions. Feel free to ask before you commit to the game, I understand that it can be a bit.. confusing. XD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:31 am
The Race to the North
Game Rules, FAQ, and Treasure Pile

[ Xmas Contest Rules ]

Alright - here is the colour-coding. Red rules? Break them, and you're out. Green rules? A warning. Two warnings and its' game over. May not always make sense for the given rule, but.. well I'm sure it'll be clear which ones the christmas-y colour scheme doesn't really apply to.

More will be added if needed.

1] Do not delete posts in this thread. It will be considered cheating. If you forget to roll, post again with the roll.
2] You must have a minimum post count of 25 to participate. If posting in this thread is your 25th post, it does not count. If you spam to up your post count, there will be more trouble for you than just not being able to enter the contest. ;p Anyone with 25 posts or more may participate. The idea is to encourage activity with these after all, isn't it?
3] You get one turn each day. I will -try- to post when the next turn begins, but if I'm unable to then consider 11:59 PM (Eastern Time Zone) to be the end of the turn. 12:00 AM (Eastern Time Zone) as the start of the next turn. Not sure when this is? I've got you covered. Here is 11:55 PM EST Dec 1st in many different timezones. Here is 12:00 AM EST Dec 2nd (midnight). If you're still having trouble, the site itself is great - just use "Calculate" to determine the time in EST.
4] The contest ends Saturday, January 2nd at 12:00 AM EST.
5] The contest begins Monday, December 7th at 12:00 AM EST. Sign-ups also end here. If you wish to participate, sign-up soon!
6] The game will be using the same prize lot (only now it is a treasure pile). You only get 1 prize when you reach the end, which you get to pick. After that, you are thrown far away by Nick's Tiny Elf Helpers.

[ F.A.Q. ]

I've used a few that I thought of but by no means is this a comprehensive list. More to be added as asked.

"I broke the rolling once per day rule twice! Crap!"
[Okay, it isn't a question - bite me.] Don't sweat it. I'm not going to be too bothered by this but try not to let it happen too often. I removed the 24H thing and made it just "once per day, even if your first roll was at 11:50 PM, and your next at 1:30 AM" for a reason. :]

"I want to be a race not listed. Can I?"
Send me a private message with the race. We'll work it out.

"I want to be a class not listed. Can I?"
For this one - I'm going to say that you're out of luck. Any further class would have a similar ability to those presented, the only difference being the class name and ability name (so entirely aesthetic) so I don't expect it to matter terribly.

"Why the higher minimum post count?"
This contest is a bit more involved than the other one. It'll take a minimum of 10 days to reach the end, assuming you overcome all challenges and roll 10 or higher each time. And you may not even make it at all by the 26th if you're extremely unlucky. As such, I was looking for people who have been fairly active in the guild or otherwise to ensure you go until the end. :] Missing a day or two here and there is fine.

"What if I reach 2 challenges in 1 turn?"
You'll need to overcome both challenges. Failing a challenge pretty much ends your turn.

"What if there are prizes unclaimed by the time December 26th rolls around?"
Then I will look at the current positions, and give the person in the lead the pick of one of the prizes. Then the second person picks, and so on until no prizes remain. I could extend the contest past the end date, but I feel this would be best... as Nick and his treasure factory will be vanishing at midnight.

"Ability X is overpowered! Ability X is too weak! Are you going to change it?"
I'm one person, with the assistance of one other.. naturally - this may happen.

Will I change it? That depends. Post your concern and your reason why so it can be discussed. If a few people agree that an ability needs to be changed and agree on what to change it to - then it will be changed.

I've tried to follow some guidelines on the abilities, and admittedly some are weak (*eyes Ranger*) but I've only got one head to make these with, hence why I am open to changes. After the game has started, though, I will not be changing abilities further... so voice your concerns sooner rather than later.

[ Treasure Pile ]

Upon reaching the end of the course, you are allowed to grab 1 treasure. After that, you are teleported by Nick''s Tiny Elf Helpers so far away that you'll never make it back in time to get another prize... choose wisely!

I believe some mentioned donating to increase the prize list. If so, please send me the trade as well as a PM explaining how you want your gold divided (like if you send me 20K gold, tell me if you want it in 2 10K bags, or 5 4K bags, etc.. ). I'm leaving it up to the donators because it is your gold after all.

Items will be gifted, gold will be sent through trades.

A big thanks to The Jester of Equilibrium for donating all the gold! Because of this, I have adjusted the prizes.

Without further stalling...

• [x3] Enchanted Wooden Trunk
  • [x3] Brown Giftbox
  • Thank You Letter For November 2009 [ Nabbed by: Seph Baelzara (6th Place) ]
  • Thank You Letter For November 2009 [ Nabbed by: joe-dude667 (5th Place) ]
  • Thank You Letter for December 2009 [ Nabbed by: iDragow (4th Place) ]
  • Thank You Letter for December 2009 [ Nabbed by: Insanity Logic (2nd Place) ]
  • Gold Sack [100,000] [ Nabbed by: Vorastrix (1st Place) ]
  • Gold Sack [50,000] [ Nabbed by: bamaotaku (3rd Place) ]
  • Gold Sack [25,000]
  • Gold Sack [20,000]
  • Gold Sack [10,000]
  • Gold Sack [10,000]
  • Gold Sack [10,000]

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am
The Race to the North
Character Creation

Mmkay! Since we're dealing with the basics here (only ability checks) - making a character is actually quite simple. Regardless, I'll explain it step-by-step so that any confusion is weeded out ahead of time.

[ Step 1: Assign Ability Scores ]

First, you need to assign your ability scores. You get the following array:

18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.

Select where to put them amongst the following:

Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha.

Some short descriptions of what they may be used for...

Strength (Str): This is the heavy-lifting skill. When you wind up in a fight, or when you just need to lift that bigass rock - this is the ability you will need.
Dexterity (Dex): Need to balance across that narrow ledge? Walk across the frozen lake? Sneak quietly around the big bad bear monster? This will be the ability you use.
Constitution (Con): When the temperature drops too far, when you have to run for a long period of time, or generally when the only thing you can do is endure is when Constitution will come into play. It also comes into play on some ambushes, especially ones that involve poison.
Intelligence (Int): Intelligence checks come into play by helping you know that one path looks like it leads to some dark caves which are full of monsters, and one path leads across a rather easy-to-cross snowy plain would probably be a great help. As well as identify what those strange glowing rules are. However, if a certain Wizard prepared explosi-*Shot*
Wisdom (Wis): Everyone can get hungry... maybe you dropped your pack somewhere along the way, and need to use some survival techniques to continue. Maybe you come across a wounded animal that could help you along your way. Whichever the case, Wisdom may be useful.
Charisma (Cha): Not every beast is hostile. Sure, you could stab them and be on your way but in some cases it may be easier to talk them down. A little diplomacy there, a bit of intimidate there, and a bluff or two and you're set. Charisma will come into play in most creature encounters that don't involve fighting.

[ Step 2: Select A Race ]

Here are the available races. Is one you want not listed? See the FAQ. All races will add to on ability, and subtract another. Some races give no changes. Since I can't possibly recall all races and their modifiers, there are only a few here for now. If people ask for one, it will be added.

Generally, I will follow the 3.5 versions to the best of my knowledge. As there is one plus and one minus for each, some races will have a minus added if they do not otherwise have one.

No Change
Human
Half-Elf

+Str
Half-Orc: +2 Str, -2 Int
Minotaur: +2 Str, -2 Dex
Goliath: +2 Str, -2 Wis

+Dex
Elf: +2 Dex, -2 Con
Halfling: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Catfolk: +2 Dex, -2 Wis
Shifter: +2 Dex, -2 Wis

+Con
Dwarf: +2 Con, -2 Cha
Gnome: +2 Con, -2 Str

+Int
Gray Elf: +2 Int, -2 Str
Tiefling: +2 Int, -2 Cha
Drow: +2 Int, -2 Con

+Wis
Aasimar: +2 Wis, -2 Dex
Buomman: +2 Wis, -2 Cha

+Cha
Succubus/Incubus: +2 Cha, -2 Con
Mephling: +2 Cha, -2 Int

[ Step 3: Select A Class ]

We will be using the classes from the 3.5 PHB. All abilities have a recharge time, this is the time it takes for the ability to be used again. To illustrate, see the following:

Turn (1): Ability used.
Turn (2): No ability available for anyone.
Turn (3): 2-Turn Recharge Abilities Regained. 3 and 4-Turn abilities unavailable.
Turn (4): 3-Turn Recharge Abilities Regained. 4-Turn abilities unavailable.
Turn (5): 4-Turn Recharge Abilities Regained.

Once you regain it, you may use it. Thus someone with a 2-Turn ability recharge could use it again on Turn 3, then again on Turn 5.

If you feel something is too weak or overpowered, see the FAQ.

Barbarian (Rage): You gain a +4 bonus to Str and Con-based challenges for this turn. This ability recharges in 2 turns.
Bard (Bardic Music): You gain a +2 bonus to an ability check of your choice for this turn. When using this ability, you must select the attribute that gains the bonus (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) This ability recharges in 2 turns.
Cleric (Luck Domain): You may roll 2d20 for the next challenge you encounter this turn, and take the highest result. This ability recharges in 3 turns.
Druid (Wildshape): You turn into an an appropriate animal for 1 turn and move 3 squares forward, avoiding any challenges. This must be done before or after your movement for the turn. This ability recharges in 4 turns.
Fighter (Flexible): You have the right feat for the situation, you may ignore the first challenge you encounter this turn. You must decide to use this ability before you roll to determine how far you move. This ability recharges in 4 turns.
Monk (Fast Movement): You gain a +3 to your movement dice this turn. This ability recharges in 3 turns.
Paladin (Divine Grace): You may add your charisma modifier as a bonus on the next challenge you encounter this turn, so long as that encounter does not use Charisma. If the encounter is a multiple-ability challenge, you may not select charisma if it is available. This ability recharges in 3 turns.
Ranger (Favored Enemy): You get a +4 bonus bonus to any challenges you encounter this turn which involve combat. This ability recharges in 2 turns.
Rogue (Skill Mastery): You may "take 12" on the first challenge you encounter this turn, giving you a result of 12 + the modifier used. This ability recharges n 3 turns.
Sorcerer (Fly): You soar through the air this turn, allowing you to ignore the first challenge you encounter. After the first challenge, the spell ends as does your turn. This ability recharges in 3 turns.
Wizard (Teleport): You teleport 3 squares ahead, ignoring any challenges. This must be used before or after your movement for that turn. This ability recharges in 4 turns.

[ Step 4: Submit! ]

And that is all. Simple, yes?

Post your character afterward, and you will be entered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 am
The Race to the North
Submitted Characters

Rock_DS: Drow Wizard (12 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 20 Int, 8 Wis, 10 Cha)
Vorastrix: Halfling Cleric (10 Str, 16 Dex, 8 Con, 10 Int, 16 Wis, 18 Cha)
Shingami Hiroshi: Incubus Rogue (12 Str, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 16 Cha)
joe-dude667: Shifter Rogue (16 Str, 14 Con, 20 Dex, 10 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha)
iDragow: Elven Monk (16 Str, 16 Con, 16 Dex, 12 Int, 8 Wis, 10 Cha)
NayrVentess: Halfling Monk (8 Str, 18 Dex, 8 Con, 18 Int, 12 wis, 14 Cha)
Oshi the Killer: Half-Drow Ranger (16 Str, 18 Dex, 12 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha)
authority_lex: Mephling Paladin (12 Str, 18 Dex, 8 Con, 12 Int, 10 Wis, 18 Cha)
Dragon HighLord Flambe: Gray Elf Wizard (10 Str, 16 Dex, 8 Con, 16 Int, 18 Wis, 10 Cha
Raganui Minamoto: Halfling Rogue (12 Str, 18 Dex, 12 Con, 18 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha)
Rain Yupa: Dwarven Fighter (16 Str, 8 Dex, 20 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 10 Cha)
JinKazamaru: Half-Elf Paladin (16 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 18 Cha)
[EC2] Carthinator: Human Bard (12 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 18 Int, 8 Wis, 10 Cha)
Seph Baelzara: Gray Elf Wizard (8 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 20 Int, 12 Wis, 8 Cha)
Insanity Logic: Halfling Cleric (12 Str, 14 Dex, 10 Con, 18 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha)

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am
This is a test run of a more involved contest idea.

It may not be on the grandiose scale some wanted, but it certainly has more to it.

If this ends up completely and utterly failing, I'll stick to simple things for the future. If it ends up working, I'll try to do other things for future contests.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:42 pm
This seems awsome XD

Really inventintive =3 Looking forward to it n.n

Let's see

Str:12
Dex:14
Con:14
Int:20
Wiz:8
Cha:10

Wizard - Drow

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Shingami Hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 pm
I agree seems interesting.

Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

Incubus - Rogue

By the way, Incubi have a natural fly speed... biggrin (+3 cha bonus in diplomacy roll to cheat)  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:29 pm
Sounds like Fun

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 8
Int: 10
Wis: 16
Cha: 18

Halfling - Cleric  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:52 pm
@Shingami: It seems you may have err'd on your ability scores there. -2 Cha, +2 Con (reversed Incubus modifiers) gives you 16, 16, 14, 8, 10, 14. I'm fairly certain there was only 1 14, and 1 16. ;p And racial traits will have to wait for next time, the more I added the more of a headache it'd have been to try and keep things relatively balanced.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:07 pm
Sorry about that, I was thinking strength was the penalty for some reason

Here you go

Str: 12 = 12
Dex: 16 = 16
Con: 18 -2 = 16
Int: 8 = 8
Wis: 10 = 10
Cha:14 +2 = 16

Incubus - Rogue  

Shingami Hiroshi

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:24 pm
This sounds great Reeve. >.< You've clearly put a lot of thought into it, I'm quite curious as to what the path will entail... =P

All fear my Catfolk Shifter Rogue!

Str 16
Con 14
Dex 20
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 8  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:26 pm
Hm, I believe I'll go with an Eleven Monk...

Stats:
STR - 16 (+0) = 16
CON - 18 (-2) = 16
DEX - 14 (+2) = 16
INT - 12 (+0) = 12
WIS - 8 (+0) = 8
CHA - 10 (+0) = 10

I hope the well-roundedness will benefit me in the long run... sweatdrop  

iDragow

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:36 pm
This. Is. Awesome!

Prepare to be annihilated by... Eric! the Halfling - Monk

Str - 8
Dex - 18
Con - 8
Int - 18
Wis - 12
Cha - 14  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:37 pm
iDragow
Hm, I believe I'll go with an Eleven Monk...

But your only allowed one character... HO HO HO!  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Oshi the Killer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:45 pm
Kneel before my Half-Dark Elf Ranger!

Str 16, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Chr 8  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 32 33 34 35 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff