Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
Guide: Making a Quest Thread *Updated 4/28/10 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Put up a poll for free gold its usually appreciated
  Thanks!
View Results

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:32 am
User Image
Ok so I have noticed so many quests which aren't getting any attention because of their layout so this is a simple guide on how to layout your quest thread and some tips!

Firstly think up a title for your thread, it doesn't have to be fancy. Remember to put "Closed" or "Under Construction" In your title so people dont post until you finish it.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpieceUser Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:37 am
User Image
User Image

Firstly have an Introduction post, tell everyone about yourself and what your hoping to achieve in your quest. Make some snazy banners to make it look pretty or try places like photobucket for them.

Example

Hi my names Kimmy! I live in Scotland and in this quest thread I am hoping to get donations towards my dream avatar. My dream avatar was inspired by an item I saw that I really wanted.

Short and simple, it doesn't need to be fancy or long winded.

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:41 am
User Image
User Image

In this post keep your readers updated on things you have done to help yourself or donations you have recieved.

Example

November 22nd:- Today I sold 4 inks and played some games which brought me 500g closer to getting my dream.

Its to keep other members in the loop, showing them that you are working hard to gain gold and not just relying on donations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 am
User Image
User Image

This is where you put the rules of your thread.

Example

1. No asking for donations
2. Follow Gaia's Terms of Service

Keep them to a minimum and dont put silly ones in there either!

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 am
User Image

User Image

This is where you put the item you are questing for.

Example

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Remember to keep it updated on how much gold you have!

or

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Remember to list the items you're after and strike them out when you get them or they are donated to you!

Example
Fallen Wish
Frigid Night Jewel
Kottan Bell
Kuro's Induction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:02 pm
User Image
User Image

This is where you list the people who have donated gold or items towards you quest. It shows them that they are appreciated - Remember even if its small its appreciated!

Example

ancantsia:- 5000g and 4 red inks heart

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:13 pm
User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Keep your quest thread active and up to date.
Record all donations and the donators
Use proper language, no l337 speajk or txt talk - Its not cool its annoying!
Work for gold yourself, dont just rely on donations.
Use a poll, free gold is well worth going into a thread for
Dont whine if you dont recieve donations - Remember most people are newbies in this guild!
Keep to one colour scheme -
rainbow text is a nono!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:23 pm
User Image

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:25 pm
User Image
User Image

Reserves some posts on your first page, just in case you want to add some more things to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:27 pm
User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sometimes your quest thread might need some images to liven things up a little. Now you may be thinking "Oh but I'm not that good at photoshop" or something along those lines - No Worries! Thats where other sites come in.

Pleaces like Photobucket have lots of images you can use.
You want some snazzy glitter text? - Glitter Graphics is the place to go for that aswell as lots of really cute images, even animated gifs!

So now you should have all you need to create and maintain your own quest thread so what are you waiting for?!

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:30 pm
User Image
User Image

Open your quest thread so that people can post and donate to you. Remember to edit your first post and remove the "closed" or "Under construction" from the title so people will know you have finished

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 pm
What if you cant afford nice graphics? I've received feedback that that might be why my quest threads fail, is people see that I dont have any graphics and leave.  

pig_girl

Benevolent Hoarder

14,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 7 100

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 am

You can always do what I do- I rarely, if ever, use graphics. All of my post styles use strictly text coding but my threads still get a fair amount of traffic if I show them some love and attention myself.

Make a pretty post style, use the special post styles, and raid the special characters database on your computer :3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 pm
sweatdrop yes day, but as i said in fashun my dear sweet mommy wont let me download more toolbars so i cant have a post format of my own really easily.

edit just realized i sounded super snippy sorry. dint mean it to sound that way. just reminding you hmm. maybe after b-day, channukah and x-mas ill have enough for a cheap craptop  

pig_girl

Benevolent Hoarder

14,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 7 100

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

You don't need toolbars to use text in a format for a thread. I don't- I just copy and paste it in. I only use the toolbars to autoformat individual conversation posts. All the coding for the main posts like what you see in my guides in this forum are done by hand.

Autoformatting really doesn't work if you're using breaks and dividers anyway because the toolbar won't know where to put them.

☆ Resources

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff