Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[D&D 3.5e] Help Turning +2 LA Template Into +1 LA Template

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 am
[ Remember Tanon, if you read this - I stab you. >.> ]

Looking for some more assistance! xD

In the Field Folio there is a template I wish to use (Half-Fey, pg90) - However, I dislike the +2 LA very much and want to turn that into +1 LA.. but I'm having some trouble.

Here is what I have so far;

Type: The creature's type changes to fey.
Speed: Fly Speed (Good) equal base creature's fastest mode of movement.
Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Immunity to enchantment spells and effects, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron
Abilities: Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha +4

Essentially, I nixed the spell-like abilities entirely and reduced the fly speed by half. But I don't know.. Now it doesn't look like a +2, but it looks like a "too good" +1.

Stuff I'm considering:
- Nixing the DR entirely.
- Dropping immunity to enchantment spells and effects, instead a +4 bonus.
- Evening out the ability modifiers. -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis, +2 Cha

Opinions? Thoughts?

And yes, I know there isn't a HUGE different in only +1.. But eh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 am
Dropping the shapechange type change a race I saw from a +1 to a +0. Maybe the same mechanics could be applied.

This allow's you to be opened back up to hold person and the like. Maybe drop the Enchantment imunity like you said and have the fey subtype? Keep the rest as is

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Durgress

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 am
You could cut the abillity bonuses in half, lower the flight class (good to poor, plus then flight speed won't mean much due to low manuverablity), or scrap the immunity.

Honestly, a DR of 5 doesn't mean much after about level 4. Especially when humanoid enemies start using magical weapons.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm
Type: The creature's type changes to fey.
Speed: Fly Speed (Average) equal base creature's fastest mode of movement.
Qualities: Low-Light Vision, +4 vs enchantment spells and effects, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron
Abilities: Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha +2

I think this right here would reduce it enough. Things changed in Italics honestly you are basically making them a lesser verson of the template... but look what what some other things get and this is not bad at all. If you still feel is unbalanced I think adding the -2 Str. (or removing the wis.) to what I have would cap it well let me know feed back  

Archfiend Damio

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:40 am
@Rock_DS: Honestly, the reason I want to drop the spells is because I just don't see them getting much use.

@Durgress: I'd argue that flight speed means more with a lesser maneuverability. When you lower the maneuverability, not only do you lose the ability to do certain things (i.e. - hover) but it also costs more movement to be able to do what you can do. Like you need to have a minimum forward distance, spend so much of your movement to turn, it costs more to ascend or descend.. well you get the picture. Ultimately - if I reduce the maneuverability, but increase the speed, I think the end result is more or less the same and keeping the current maneuverability, but reducing the speed, would be worth more on the "LA Reduction Scale" so to speak.

I'd also have to contest your DR argument. If it was DR5/Magic, or DR5/Alignment - I'd be in agreement with you. However, I think we can both agree that DR5/Cold Iron carries a lot more weight than magic or alignment (heck, materials in general do). Cold Iron weapons are a lot harder to get than simple magic or alignment - the material makes them cost a ton to enchant, the weapon ability is +2 (20% your weapon's end effectiveness), and I think there may be a spell or feat that does it - but for some, feats are precious - and there won't always be a spellcaster to cast the spell for it. If there even is one.

As for the amount, 5 can be a lot. For two-handers, its' a pittance. But for some sword-and-boarders, as well as pretty much all two-weapon fighters (.. who don't have SA/SS/Skirmish) and bow/crossbow users?

Eep... This ended up getting a lot longer than I intended - sorry. TL;DR - I think the weight of flight speed matters more with lower classes, and DR5/cold iron carries a lot more weight than DR5/magic and shouldn't be ignored.

@The Jester of Equilibirum: Actually, I think that is pretty good. I may jump the Cha back up to +4, but I think I'm going to go with that as-is or with a minor modification.

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games