Reply The Physics and Mathematics Guild
Proof Game!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mecill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:36 pm
I was trying to think of something fun to boost involvement in the guild and this idea came to me, inspired by some other forum games I have seen.

I will post something to prove and then the next person will prove it and request a proof of their own, and so on down the page... You can request anything in math or even derivations in physics! Hopefully it can be at various levels of difficulty so everyone can participate. (People in high school can do ones for geometry and trig, etc.)

So, to start things off...

Prove the volume of a sphere is (4/3)πr^3  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 am
Mecill
I was trying to think of something fun to boost involvement in the guild and this idea came to me, inspired by some other forum games I have seen.

I will post something to prove and then the next person will prove it and request a proof of their own, and so on down the page... You can request anything in math or even derivations in physics! Hopefully it can be at various levels of difficulty so everyone can participate. (People in high school can do ones for geometry and trig, etc.)

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V  

Morberticus

Mecill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:35 am
Morberticus
Mecill

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V

Yes, I know ctrl+c, ctrl+v but the game is to see how many proofs we can go through for fun and what people pick.... you know?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 pm
I do know and I can prove it because I am following the rules.

Prove that mirrors are not portals into another dimension.  

Jerba2

Mecill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:41 am
Jerba2
I do know and I can prove it because I am following the rules.

Prove that mirrors are not portals into another dimension.

sweatdrop ...Jerba, simply saying you can prove it doesn't count since in the rules I said you have to prove it before you can request something. And your request is an example of something that can't be proved!!

(Maybe I should clarify I mean "prove" in a loose sense, like "derive this" but I called it proof game since I thought that would be more familiar to people who may not know pure maths.)  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 am
This involves a volume integral, with r² sinθ dr dθ dφ. (because it's easier in spherical co-ordinates)
Integrate from 0 to r, 0 to 2π, and 0 to π... and the answer should just pop out...

Derive the above in Cartesian co-ordinates.  

Miscenco

The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff