Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Crafting skill

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:52 pm
I've been looking into the crafting skill. I've got the basic's down easily enough. Though there is somthing that is beginning to grate me on

I found a set of rules in a few locations, including a few splat books, that said to craft in gp and not in sp. This made me chuffed as it's a hell of alot easier and quicker. Though now I am straining to find it again.

I assumed it was a tweek after problems with the Player's Hand Book rules for it. But the nearest I can come is crafting in Compleat Adventurer saying it's a third the market value, nothing about silver. So I'd assume that's right?

Anyway =3 Just hoping for a hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:05 pm
Ok in the PHB it staits:

Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s
work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC.
If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you
have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or
triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed
the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the
DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC
doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made
this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the
next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total
reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.
If you fail a check by 4 or less, you make no progress this week. If
you fail by 5 or more, you ruin half the raw materials and have to pay
half the original raw material cost again.

SO as such you would run it as such there is no splat book that if tells you different that is right... it wouldn't make sense. And even if itdoes non-D&D splat books are just that not D&D and as such has no barring on the rules unless you make it a house rule.
In the end the PHB has final say for me... unless something make rediculusly more sense.
As such I would runit BTB, and if the splat book is D&D then it maybe 3.0  

Archfiend Damio

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:18 am
Personally many people find crafting way too hard and time consuming to actually do... and don't get me starting on magic item crafting.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:56 am
I found 2 examples, one in heroes of Battle and one in Cmmpleat Adventurer. I'm not sure if heroes of Battle is 3.0 or 3.5, but C Adv is 3.5

The two craft skills are in reguards to Siege engins and poison making.

Before hand poisons could be made with the Alchemy check. I assume the poison making skill was to make them without being a spell caster. Reguardless. In the C Adv it says you take the Market price and then get a third. Nothing about converting to silver.

What wouldn't make sence would be to have to work in silver when making a poison with an alchemy check, and working in gold with a pisons makign check.

I did run across a post on the Wizards boards about them changing it after the players handbook was relised. Though I cant find it again now =/

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:01 pm
Rag: Creating Items are quick and easy with the right feats. Ask my Artificer. ^_^

Rock: When Craft is used for poison making. It would follow the same rule as the ones in he PHB, hence why its doesn't list everything in that book. The point is unless you are a dedicated person at crafting things yes it takes a while weeks sometimes more to make it. It something that's there for games that have the time (or the feats) to let players make things.
I believe the rules are a good gauge if you ask me. And it even gives you the option to make them faster... in the end I wouldn't care in my game what the wizards boards say because I like the PHB rules on it... and a lot of DMs would agree I don't know what people find wrong with it.

And yes HoB is 3.0...  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff