Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Once Upon a Time: A Guild of Redwall
Question regarding Salamandastron [hares vs. hordes...Whut?]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I overthinking this?
  Uh, yes. Do the universe a favor and get a life.
  Nah. But you DO need a life.
  Nope. *shifty eyes*
View Results

Apple -n- Cinnamon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:20 pm
Okay, forgive my utter stupidity when it comes to this series.
Not long ago I finished Lord Brocktree (it was absolutely wonderful) and now I'm in Salamandastron... uh... chapter 21, I think.

Perhaps this has to do with my not having finished Salamandastron yet, but I can't help but notice in Brocktree's time there were 150 fighting hares that suffured some darn heavy losses to a vermin horde, but in Urthstripe's case there are only 40 Patrollers, and they're doing just fine. I'll give that Brocktree's vermin horde was enough to "make the ground shake and stars fall from the sky," but Ferahgo's horde is obviously a force to be worried about if it's described as, well, a horde.

I'm very confused. :c Why do 40-ish fighters have no problem where 150-ish fighters did?

Of course, all of this irks me to begin with since I read The Long Patrol first and I want the crazy badger lady with her thousands of warriors back. >:C  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 pm
I love all the Badger Lords, including Lady Cregga. The difference in difficulty may have to do with the strategy, on both sides. It's been some time since i've read a lot of these though, so i could be wrong. I'll have to go back and read them.

Personally, I thought Ferhago was a pretty cool bad guy. My favorite though was Verdauga Greeneyes. Tsarmina's dad. He had respect for people like Martin, and obviously wanted Gingivere to take over after him.  

Akiko-infinity

Benevolent Hellraiser

21,450 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hunter 50

Apple -n- Cinnamon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:19 pm
Ah, good, I'm not the only one who's rusty on these books. xD

As far as I can tell (having just started book 3 in Salamandastron today) the strategies weren't terribly different... but then, it seems to me Ferahgo isn't as bloodthirsty on-the-attack-every-second-of-the-day as Trunn was, so maybe that's a part of it. I dunno, but only 40-ish soldiers... it just bothers me. :/

As a bad guy, Ferahgo strikes me as most bad guys in fiction do: "eh." His son, though I think he's rather stupider than his father, is probably going to end up as my favorite bad guy for this book. Dx Bad guys who are good aren't very good bad guys, you see. [If that just made sense.] Though I loved Gingivere! heart He's my favorite cat, to be sure. xD

Lady Cregga is my absolute favorite as far as the Lords and Ladies of Salamandastron go. :'3  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 pm
Double-posting because I'm fairly sure I won't get caught, and even more sure that I'm bored.

c:

Just wanted to add a new llama: in Mossflower, there are only 10 patrollers.

Ten.

Ten.

TEN.

FREAKING FLIPPING TEN.

I'm just going to stop overthinking these books. It'll kill my brain. I know it will. emo
*rereads Long Patrol sadly* Oh Cregga, coooome baaaaack...! emo emo  

Apple -n- Cinnamon

Once Upon a Time: A Guild of Redwall

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces