Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
What do you believe every artist should have? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biggled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:34 pm
I asked this question in the Art Discussion but I decided to ask it here too.

Even though they are important, I don't only mean supplies, I mean what they should have in terms of skill and what type of mind-set they should have. But feel free to list any supplies you think are important for an artist.

I think it depends on what type of artist you plan to be. If you plan to draw people or animals, I think you should have a strong grip on anatomy. But if you plan to draw buildings or anything nature-related, you should put yourself in that type of enviroment so you can capture that image better.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm
I'll say the obvious one first ^_^

Every artist should have the desire and drive to improve, or at least to do their best.  

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:41 pm
Not only are skills and supplies important to have. But a determination to strife to better yourself is important. If you believe that you can't do something, then you probably can't. If you don't think that you can better yourself, then you can't.

Also as you basically stated, it's important to have a knowledge of how things are built and displayed. If you don't have a good understanding of something, then your art will look awkward.

I also think that it's crucial not only to find a teacher to help you, but you should be able to teach yourself how to do something. I think that each artist should at least learn a portion of their skills on their own.

But supplies and a good environment are also important ;D  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:36 pm
An open mind and a thick skin.

With those two things, you can accomplish anything.  

Sazarac

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm
I think while with someone who draws characters should have a grasp of anatomy, I think that all artists should explore other realms that may go beyond what their specialty is. If you're in fine arts try taking a look at design... or vice versa. Having a broad perspective helps to draw inspiration and gather understanding of how things function. It's like taking a step back from your work to see what is around it. I think outside of art studies, research is always a key component to really making a project stand out.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:21 pm
I think an artist needs to have the ability to put their ideas, or an idea onto paper. It doesn't matter if no one likes it, as long as the idea is down. The skill set must be whatever they want it to be, because art is subjective. It all depends on who the artist is.  

FrozenVendetta

Biggled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 pm
Nighsongbyrd
I think an artist needs to have the ability to put their ideas, or an idea onto paper. It doesn't matter if no one likes it, as long as the idea is down. The skill set must be whatever they want it to be, because art is subjective. It all depends on who the artist is.

I believe it is important to get your idea on paper, but its also important to know how to. I don't believe by putting a stick-figure on a piece of paper, you've created art. It depends on how you define it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 pm
Damn good drawing skills. Its amazing how many people overlook that, even in a naive style.

biggrin  

David Keju

naayna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 am
Passion. Everything else will come with that.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:11 pm
Sazarac
An open mind and a thick skin.

With those two things, you can accomplish anything.

this this this
also I M A G I N A T I O N

ampthetv

Stubborn Gearhead

KawaiiEraser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm
Im going to say : Faith.

(In themselves)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:58 pm
David Keju
Damn good drawing skills. Its amazing how many people overlook that, even in a naive style.

biggrin
Hmmm...but as a photographer I have to disagree.  

Zero Fail

no surrender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 pm
Every artist needs practice. Seriously. Everyone.
Also, every artist needs, but way too often don't have, an ability to change and evolve. (I see no point in drawing the same way for four years, there's no excitement)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm
Creativity, without it we all would just see the same things, in the same place everywhere we look. I guess individuality would come in play, but that would probably come further down the road after one learns the basics.  

Despercrie

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm
something to draw on and something to draw with.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff