Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
I'm a protege!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Any other proteges or Pelicans out there?
  Me!
  Not yet.
  Never, I'm not crazy.
  Free gold option.
View Results

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 am
After attending only one real SCA event, but spending months actively engaged in multiple SCA emailing lists as well as private correspondence, a Pelican of some note (AOA in 1977, that's how old he is!) emailed me privately and asked if I would like to study with him. I wasn't entirely sure what he was offering, so I asked, and he said formally, "I, , am asking you to be my Pelican protege." I accepted.

Methinks I have just been volunteered for ! Celebrate with me!

confused eek surprised smile biggrin mrgreen cheese_whine  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:50 am
Congratulations indeed!

I recall reading something about the master/apprentice relationship once, something that would be appropriate to post, but alas I don't know where to find it again. It was along the lines of "may I be worthy of your teaching, may my teachings be worthy of your learning", back and forth for several lines but much better written that that example.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 am
I'm a self-described service monkey, I'm looking for a Pelican, probably in heraldry. I'm currently in an apprentice-Master relationship with my Laurel, but I'm missing something.

Congratulations! (and if I might ask, who is your Pel?)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 pm
Thank you, thank you both!

Dragostae, I'd love to tell you all about my Pelican, but I think doing so might open up my real-life identity to Gaia in general, and that's something I don't like to do. The cool folks who post here don't really scare me, but silent lurkers are always there when you're online, and those do worry me a lot. I'm justifiably paranoid, after a friend spent six months in the hospital thanks to an internet stalker.

I'll tell you he's a man; he's in my kingdom but not in my shire/barony/canton/thingy; he and I communicate online and by telephone; and he's apparently been in the Society since the mid-1970s. He's told me I need not wear any specific type of belt, but I do think I want to get a yellow one so that he and others can see I'm proud to be his protege. Know where I can buy a yellow belt?  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:04 pm
Don't worry, I totally understand.

As for the belt, depends on what kind. I'm working on making a blingier apprentice belt (beads and chains!), but even a simple yellow-dyed belt works. My current belt is tablet-woven (by my Laurel, I might add), and that's also a solution.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 am
I'm thinking I'd like to get a yellow leather belt, and later I might have my Pelican's arms put on a little silver buckle alongside mine (when I get a device registered, of course), or maybe just a little silver heater-shield-shaped bit on the tip of the belt, or some other kind of shiny blingy thing. Hm, though, tablet weaving. I should learn to do that, so I can make my own belts and trims. Cool idea!  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:40 pm
Divash
I'm thinking I'd like to get a yellow leather belt, and later I might have my Pelican's arms put on a little silver buckle alongside mine (when I get a device registered, of course), or maybe just a little silver heater-shield-shaped bit on the tip of the belt, or some other kind of shiny blingy thing. Hm, though, tablet weaving. I should learn to do that, so I can make my own belts and trims. Cool idea!

It's a great excuse to learn pewter-casting. One of our Quadruple Threats (that's a Peer four times over - Knight, Pelican, Laurel, and Royal Peer) does pewtercasting. His associates have some of the coolest belts ever, and boy, are they blingy. He gets the leather, punches holes in it, then casts these little pewter badges to put on the ends. Of course, he's also Calontir's Patron Saint of Boredom and Beer, and also turned the ends into bottle openers.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 am
Hey, I have a blue belt with a silver heater-shaped-shield end on the visible side and the underside is a bottle opener. I wonder if that's the same guy! I got this belt when I was in college and attended a tiny handful of events in An Tir.  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 pm
Congratulations.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm
Divash
Hey, I have a blue belt with a silver heater-shaped-shield end on the visible side and the underside is a bottle opener. I wonder if that's the same guy! I got this belt when I was in college and attended a tiny handful of events in An Tir.

Doubtful. Ferd (to my knowledge) has lived only in Calontir, and it's apparently only something he does for his associates.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items