Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Does your family support you as an artist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family support you as an artist?
  Yes. They back me 100% no matter what I do, odd or outrageous.
  No. They would rather not be seen in public with "the artist.
  Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing".
  Indifferent. They have no idea that I'm an artist and could care less if they did.
View Results

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm
When I was in high school, my parents were very worried about my career choice. I was a fine student. I got A's and B's (with the occasional C in either math, science, or language). My mom would say things like, "You should become a lawyer! You should become a psychiatrist! You should study PoliSci!" I feel like she was afraid I'd end up like her brother, who is a poor artist/jerk.

My dad, just wanted me to go to college in missouri, and since I grew up in the uber-liberal artsy pacific northwest, that was a no go.

Once I got into art school, and had them talk to professors, they have gained TONS of confidence in me and my ability to get a stable, well paying job in the future. The job placement rate at my school for my industry is around 90%, and I've never failed to get a better job every summer.

Currently, I hold an art job where I make more money than my mother has ever made, and the same amount as my dad.My family is middle-class. I'm 20 year old girl.
Let's just say they're happy about that.

I say that the "starving artist" is a stupid stereotype. When I talked to parents of my students, I would always talk to them about how careers are easily made through art. Good ones as well.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 am
I'm studying to be a 3D artist... therefore everyone is very supportive, knowing the market for 3D is huge here (Montreal)

I don't think my family would have supported me if I wanted to be a ''classic'' artist... money is important to them and I'm sure they believe in the ''starving artist'' stereotype... xP  

Salty Candy

7,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Sentinel of Light

Blessed Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 am
My father is a musician and my mother is an artist.
I'm good at both music and drawing.

However, there is some pressure with my father.
He desprately wants me to become a musician.
I've went off music due to his obsession.

But that aside, both of my parents support me.
The ones that encourage me the most are my fiance and mother.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:52 pm
When the topic of college comes up, it becomes a little crazy. My mom and a lot of my other relatives want me to go into the medical field.
They ask "Well, what do you want to do?"
Of course, I saw I want to become an artist. Then half of them look at me like I'm crazy.
The other half goes, oh like your aunt! Good job!Keep it up!
My parents it though.  

Chobyeol

Ashtonaire

Anxious Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm
My mom says that i resemble her brother from the past.
(My Uncle.)
He used to draw alot and my mom thought that his style was pretty awesome... Although i've never seen ANY of his drawings... Considering the fact that he commited suicide before i was even born...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm
Well I live with my mom and she's seen my drawing ever since I was in elementary school. She still supports me (though she doesn't know what the heck I draw) and I thank her for that.

She's the only one in my family that knows about my work but that's enough for me....I think  

thetenthsense

Wheezing Gawker

6,950 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Sat-AM_Reject

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 pm
Hah, my parents are totally supportive of me. They want me to be a professional artist.

Of course, I'm actually working on my fallback plan as though it were my main plan and my "professional artist" idea as something that I'll work towards in my spare time.

I'm actually working on getting a master's in art to teach at college level in a town with a private four-year school that seems to like to lose its art staff frequently due to their own personal problems (or likely they can't stand the head of the art department). I can be reasonably sure that they'll have a position open if I decide to teach there, though, since their staff is in flux so often.

Of course, I think I may want to double-major to increase my odds, but I don't know what else to study ):  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:30 pm
My parents hate the idea of me wanting to be an artist XP
they dissaprove in everyway, they are even upset that im even thinking about going to an art college.
They dont feel being an artist is a good choice of careers, they like more practical careers -__-;;
You cant imagine what I have to go through to get art supplies lmao
But I really dont mind and I dont wanna call them bad people they are just trying to look out for me, they care too much basically lol they dont wanna see me get hurt or fall down if things get a bit too rough or dont go the way I want them to go.
: )

Generic Label

IRL Noob

11,200 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100

Rikus_girl731

3,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 pm
yes. sometimes to much from my mom in my oppionion. she always talks about getting out there and doing all this stuff with my artwork even though i would like to wait a little while so that i can improve my artwork but she's so inthusiastic about it. guess its better than not being supportive though.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:13 pm
My mother doesn't support me in the least. At least not with my drawings... I've got a few bad grades, but that just cause I'm so bored in school cause it doesn't challenge me. She wants me to be a scientist, a doctor, a vet, a anything except an artist.

Honestly... No respect around here....  

Riding_The_Stars

Romantic Millionaire

16,200 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Copic-Kun

Supportive Browser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:19 pm
My mom supports me a little bit. Then the rest of the family doesnt really care. They dont really bother to try to see my work either, they just suspect its not as good as what I think it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:17 pm
Yes. My mom, my friends, and my teachers. Even my dog.  

tingtongten

Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces