Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Does your family support you as an artist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family support you as an artist?
  Yes. They back me 100% no matter what I do, odd or outrageous.
  No. They would rather not be seen in public with "the artist.
  Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing".
  Indifferent. They have no idea that I'm an artist and could care less if they did.
View Results

- S p a r k l e Tits -

Man-Hungry Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:06 pm
Yeah, completely.
My mother was an artist in her younger days, and my grandma used to be able to paint very well.
My dad can draw stick people, which is pretty awesome. lol
But, my family are supporting my choose to go into college to be an artist. Every time I say "I'm not good enough" or saying I might not be able to make it in the business world... My parents tell me to shut up and then they tell me that I'll be awesome. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 pm
Well, my mom backs me for the most part. She says as long as I can keep doing what I like and I can at least survive as a starving artist without coming back home for extended periods, she doesn't mind. She has paintings I've done hanging in the den, and she buys all of my art supplies, really, though she'd prefer if I got money to spend myself. I really want to do commissions, but first I have to find a set style of manga I can draw(I switch out eye styles like crazy at this point, trying to find the one I like best), try to fix my consistency problems(I can't draw the same thing exactly like the other...>,<), and work on more realistic anatomy(Though I've found amazing tutorials for that on Deviantart...^,^). Basically, I have to get much better before I even start offering them.

My dad is more indifferent, though he doesn't have any problems with me drawing as a career or even a hobby. He's a real penny-pincher(THE WORST one I have ever met), so I don't usually go to him for art supplies, since "the real stuff" as I call it, can get rather pricey.

My parents never pushed any sort of career path on me or my brother. They always supported whatever we wanted to do.  

SevenJanewayLufferBunnies

Hikari de Grazia

Gracious Gekko

32,825 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:44 am
Well... my mom supports me most of the time... just as long as I don't "waste paper", I can draw all I want and she doesn't have a problem with that. I'm quite picky with the coloring materials I use but she's there to back me up... just 0-50% only though... xD My dad's pretty indifferent... he doesn't have any problem with me drawing all the time... xD

All the same, even if they're not supportive, they can't stop me! As long as the pen/pencil exists, I WILL draw! xD

But I am thankful that they're not stopping me in any way! xD  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm
My parents?
They don't mind it....but would probably kick me out if I said I wanted to be an artist. XD

To them, being an artist is not a career option.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Inkmoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:27 am
well my Dad doen't know and my mom.. well she just says itsnice and goes... She is a busy body I guess. But hey, its my thing and It doen't matter if my family supports me or not. 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:06 am
Yep. My parents AND boyfriend want me to support them when I become rich and famous.... I don't think I will though, would be nice though.  

illusionwings

Fluffy Lunatic

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

hduikdhfghwik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 pm
only my mom knows i like to draw anime and she tells me the truth when i say "whats wrong with this drawing?" or 'rate this truthfully!"
so she'll back me up 100%
so i guess my mom cares  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 am

For the most part, yeah, but it also helps that I'm going to school for nursing. sweatdrop

I think they'd support me whole-heartedly if I did decide to do a career in art, but they would warn me about it.

rnage bomb

Romantic Lunatic

Chinchillin Villain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 am
Wow I didn't think I could post without being a member of the guild... Cool..

Either way, my parents have always backed up my decision to be an artist. The best advice I ever received was from my dad when I was beginning to explore my future career. He told me "Decide what you enjoy doing most, then find someone who will pay you to do it." I've always had a passion for cartoons and video games, so, I went to college for animation and here I am now! I did one animation contract and now I've changed my career a bit into more of a teaching, sales, and art atmosphere and I love it. I couldn't have asked for better parents to encourage me, and help me grow into what I am today as an artist and as a person in general.

For those of you who have less than encouraging parents, I'm sure there are lots of encouraging individuals here on Gaia that will help you develop your skills an artist. And supportive friends are just as effective as supportive family!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am
My family's pretty supportive. I think they're a tad scared of my decision to to go art school... it is a degree though. I really want to be in the art field and I will be able to do it. The only time I have an ego is when I'm talking about my art. My immediate family is the most supportive, most of my other family tends to make fun of me. My mom thinks everything I do is amazing (it's not though, haha) and my dad doesn't really comment on anything I do unless it's doing bad in school or playing well in net in hockey. Pretty steriotypical family I guess.  

ChaoticOasis

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:04 pm
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity.

They all think I should go into art, because I whipped out my sketchbook and drew something ridiculously sub-par that they somehow thought was amazing.

So, yeah, they support me, even though I don't think I can go into art.

I plan on making money off of it on the side in the future though, if possible.

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 2.5mil/80mil----User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 am
My mom, and little brother and sister think I'm a good artist (my mom still takes stuff I do to work with her, lol), but my dad has this idea that only my oldest sister and he is the artist in the family because they had actual public recognition for their work. However, either parent would be too happy if I became an artist, as it "doesn't make a lot of money." But I really don't mind, as I'm not really all that confident in my work. I'm happy to just have it as a hobby.  

Ikari-no-baka

candid silence

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 pm
for the most part my parents support me very much when it comes to my art, a few hints here and there but mostly positive. I'm not sure is I'll go into art as a career (very demanding I've heard) but it sounds like a lot more fun that being a scientist sometimes.

second question:
well I don't think it would really matter it they didn't, I've always been kind of quiet about it, only drawing in my room for the most part so they didn't have many opinions to begin with. If they didn't, I'd probably be kind of annoyed about it and draw more because of it. or at least I'd like to think so.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 pm
I study sciences at a high level (for my age) and my grades are good and so are the chances of getting into a good university and study biology or medicine. Still my dad is silandly hoping I will follow his footsteps in becoming a gardener and my mom is sending me of to a art school for a year for some reason. I don't mind what the reason is, a year long no idiotic deadlines on lab-reports and tests covering complete dictionaries but instead drawing and learning new techniques will be like heaven on earth. I don't have to hope for financial support on supplies, my parents have never bought me anything besides Christmas and birthday presents. They have the "if you want it, work for it" mentality. So yeah, I get a lot of support but in the end I have to do it myself.

http://ideljenny.deviantart.com/ My DA if some of you are curious about how good I am. I'm pretty decent but far away from mindblowing awesome.  

KuroJenny

ShiftyCheese

Lupine Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:50 pm
Well, I thin my parents are more indifferent. they wouldn't care if I wanted to be a garbage man or an astronaut when i am older. My dad is an amazing artist, and is currently in the army. my mother is (supposed to be) a teacher. They would support me in anything I wanted to do.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff