Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Does your family support you as an artist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family support you as an artist?
  Yes. They back me 100% no matter what I do, odd or outrageous.
  No. They would rather not be seen in public with "the artist.
  Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing".
  Indifferent. They have no idea that I'm an artist and could care less if they did.
View Results

Xx the_orphan xX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 am
Why of course they do. Why wouldnt they? They always ask me to draw things for them and they said when i become an artist they will be so very proud of me. surprised My friends pay me for my art work. I refuse their money but they force me to take it. So right now im like rich. Im not bragging and im not saying im proud. I dont want to take their money ever again. Sometimes i dont even want to draw for them because i know they will pay me. So answering your question everyone supports me as an artist smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 am
Hm my family is pretty supportive about me drawing. I've always loved drawing since preschool but since I am no genius, I was only considered a great artist by my little toddler classmates and the adults in my life didn't really notice I liked to draw. That went on until middle school. I was considered a great artist only to my peers and somtimes to my teachers but my family never knew I had any inkling of talent for art. However, suddenly my family started noticing my art and now I'm considered the "artistic" one in my extended family even though a couple yrs ago they didn't even notice I like drawing that much. Its kinda weird since my sister used to be branded the artistic one o.O Anyway, I draw pictures for my grandparents' birthdays and everyone always praises my pictures but I think they would all definitely disapprove of me taking it on as a career. I really admire those people who take on art as a career because even though you can have a good job and a good career in the field, its still a difficult field to get into especially without connections.  

ahiru_chan

Sejael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm
Kind of.
They still expect me to be a doctor, but they're getting used to the idea of me being an artist.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:42 pm
The extent of my mother's support is buying me art supplies.
She thinks it's a nice hobby but ever since I was a kid has discouraged me from going into the art field as a career so a while ago I blew up on her when she kept bugging me to go into business if I didn't know what I wanted to do.
Telling her that she was the reason I had no dreams for the future was a bit harsh but at least she stopped telling me to go into business and seems to have decided that as long as I don't end up back home after college jobless and broke that I can do what I want.  

Zizzykitty

Ligre Di Cieli

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 pm
ehh sort of i guess.
my mom buys me stuff, but only if it looks like im in dire need. most of the stuff i use comes from scrounging the house or reusing supplies that people have given me.
she really discourages me from drawing outside of my once-a-week art classes, coz she thinks its the reason my grades are "terrible". xD
id really like to do something in the future using art and computers. if there are any options besides graphic design, id love to know ;D  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:41 am
My family half-supports me I guess. My dad gave me photoshop and SAI in my computer as well as his old tablet and I get printing paper and mechanical pencils from my mom for traditional art! My sister is pretty supportive to me when it comes to drawing things she wants. My family came from a long line of business people unfortunately and They don't want me to become an artist (or anything down that branch) because apparently, I will become 'homeless'. Now I'm going to be a doctor. smile This works for me I guess although art will definitely be one of my home-jobs.

xX_Zella_Xx

3,850 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Critic 0

mangachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:26 am
apiyo
My parents just want me to be successful and happy. My mom is apprehensive because she didn't think I would be able to make money and she discouraged me from getting a $300 camera but otherwise they are supportive. My dad's happy I'm happy, and my brother and twin sister draw too. My older sister is getting into my photography. So, yheah, no problems here.

We have the same parents so the answer is the same (I'm the twin she mentioned). They keep shelling out money for us to stay in school for it so I would say that's a good sign.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 pm
Does my family support me as an “artist”? They tolerate. Mum pitched in to help buy an airbrush last Christmas and likes the fact that I'm often doing commission work. Dad only likes to hear about the money making part but he doesn't take illustration seriously. The only illustrations he's interested in are the ones that go on the side of cars! XDD
I don't go out and show them my personal pieces, in a way it's sad because I'd like to be able to show my family my creative side however my parents are in the “You're in your 20s and you're drawing cartoons, it's sad” boat.
To remedy this, I do my own stuff in my own time and work on the commissions in front of my parents. Happy faces all around.

It's fine in my case however as I'm not looking at doing art as a full time job. Part time, certainly! But having illustration as a 9-5er would seriously drain my juices.

cuppapup

Shadowpal

5,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 pm
My parents do; for my thirteenth birthday they bought me a tablet (an Intuos3, I might add xD), and for my fourteenth they bought me an airbrush pen, among other things...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 pm
Parents support me? Well it depends on what you mean by support. My parents are always encouraging me to "keep doing what you love". I don't really have a job yet because schools been hectic. So they buy me art supplies when I ask for them. My father is also a artist and sometimes paints... (he can't sit still very long). He likes to give me advice from time to time and likes to play pranks by drawing in my sketchbooks if I leave them out.

However they're timid to the idea of me being a "professional artist" due to the fact that it's rather hard to make a living doing what I want to do. (Freelance artist) So they basically wonder how I'd manage living with this career and seem tense when I talk about it. I'm waiting for the "your good but not good enough just yet". *le sigh*

So in truth I'm not sure. confused  

zathraya

Sauru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm
My family isn't about giving each other compliments quite honestly and they just tell me to do what I want. My parents are fine with my decision to go to art school, and my mother is helping me look for art schools right now.
No one in my family discourages my art, but then again, no one really talks to me in the family nor understand that I have a passion for it. Usually when I talk about my dream to be a comic artist my parents listen without commenting or asking why I like this stuff.

Outside my family is different, though, I have mixed answers since my other option is law enforcement and that is more secure than a job as an illustrator.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 am
Seeing how they are outing me through a 70k college degree in game art and design, I am guessing yes, but honestly... they probably wanted me to go to college for a degree in medicine or at least a drafter. Something a bit more stable, and less dependent on who you know.

Art ultimately is more who you know then just turning in a resume and hoping they like your art work. If you know someone, and they recommend you; then your resume jumps to the top of the pile.

If you mean compliments and that crap....I am 19...it took 19 ******** years to get what I think was a compliment from my damn pops....I was in shock that day.... Moms on the other hand...well just a regular mom.....stangle her baby and try to suffocate him with hugs...  

thug to the limit

oSAKApower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:56 pm
Yes!
In fact, my mother is an artist, too, and a lot more experienced than I am (naturally), so she helps me quite a bit!!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 pm
Sadly no. Most of my extended family thinks that I'm wasting my talent drawing 'pointless pictures'. Granted I'm not very good now, I used to be a long time ago... They think that "it's a waste of talent"... sad  

Toxic Teacaakes

Shirtless Cutesmasher

10,450 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Angelic Alliance 100
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers