Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Does your family support you as an artist? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family support you as an artist?
  Yes. They back me 100% no matter what I do, odd or outrageous.
  No. They would rather not be seen in public with "the artist.
  Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing".
  Indifferent. They have no idea that I'm an artist and could care less if they did.
View Results

Sazarac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 pm
Does your family support you as an artist?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am
Why yes, yes they do, they ask me to make things for them all the time and think I am better than I actually am sweatdrop but it is awesome, I get alll the free paper I want 3nodding  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:16 pm
My parents never cared.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:32 pm
My parents really don't support me as an artist. Whenever an argument in the house breaks out, they think that I'm just messing around drawing random stuff. When I'm trying to improve my art, and teach myself different things. But they support me by getting me some art supplies 'n such. Mainly just sketchbooks. Because I can go through a good one in about two months.  

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:52 pm
poll
Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing"
-*-I am INSANE-I am BIPOLAR-I am AFRAID-I am LONELY-I am TIRED-I am LOST-*-

...Yeah...

*-*I AM what I AM-I don't need you to tell me what's wrong with me-I ALREADY KNOW!*-*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 pm
Different family members show different levels of support. My mom half-and-half does; she likes that I draw, but she would prefer I get a "real" job. My younger sister supports me and tries to push me to do better, claiming that she envies me for my ability to draw. She'd get me art supplies if she could. x3 My little brother thinks the world of my art; I inspire him, I think, according to him. My dad, contrarily, never outright stopped me, but kept telling me discouraging things when I said that I wanted to consider art as a career or side job. He has the whole "starving artist" stereotype lodged in his head.

That's just the immediate family. The extended family ranges, but mostly shows support, which I partially attribute to the fact that the paternal side of my family has given birth to some amazing locally known painters and sketch artists.  

Eizoryu

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 am
My parents just want me to be successful and happy. My mom is apprehensive because she didn't think I would be able to make money and she discouraged me from getting a $300 camera but otherwise they are supportive. My dad's happy I'm happy, and my brother and twin sister draw too. My older sister is getting into my photography. So, yheah, no problems here.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:44 pm
My parents would care less about it. Basically, I don't talk art with my family because, as my mom puts it so nicely, "it's not a real job, it's just a sad hobby." They hate it when I do mention art, even though my sister gripes on and on and ON about chemistry.  

Lastro

4,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Alchemy Level 1 100

Sazarac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 pm
Great responses guys! Thanks!

For those who have their families full support, fantastic, good for you! For those that have the half-hearted support, well, better that then none. For Lastro with the parent's "sad hobby" remark, ow! You have my sympathy. That's rough!

While a really small kid my mom though the art was great, but as I got older, she became "concerned". We had many a conversation on how I would never make it in the "real world" as an artist. She did her best to dissuade me from that path.

So my next question is this: Has the level of support made a difference in you as an artist or your art?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:44 pm
Sazarac
Great responses guys! Thanks!

For those who have their families full support, fantastic, good for you! For those that have the half-hearted support, well, better that then none. For Lastro with the parent's "sad hobby" remark, ow! You have my sympathy. That's rough!

While a really small kid my mom though the art was great, but as I got older, she became "concerned". We had many a conversation on how I would never make it in the "real world" as an artist. She did her best to dissuade me from that path.

So my next question is this: Has the level of support made a difference in you as an artist or your art?

In a lot of ways, it has. People don't see me as a great artist, so I'll go out and prove what it is that I can do. I don't get that much support from people, only some friends. I've worked so hard to get where I am to show that I am capable of a lot. A lot of people have been amazed by my progress. Even though I get more support now, I don't see a lot of it still.  

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100

ampthetv

Stubborn Gearhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 pm
its funny how my family totally is for me doing whatever
also always wanting me to draw stuff can get a bit annoying...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:55 am
Yes, they support me. My father paints too, so... xD
They have never told me "do not draw, it doesnt have future" or things similar.  

Blue Feather Wings

BlackAndWhiteIsClassic

4,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:12 pm
Yeah right.
My family is about as supportive as water.
I had to walk the three miles to the local Micheals to get some damned art supplies, only to find that my mother had stolen all the money out of my wallet.
They don't beleive in art.
Damn hard to get good in an environment like that.
Which is why i joined this guild. ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:33 pm

@pride: oh wow o3o~~ but if you're still going at it with that kind of environment, then kudos to you!

Someone once said that if you could be dissuaded from writing, then you just weren't meant to be a writer.... I think the same could be said for art wink ...

My family doesn't really support my art, more like tolerate it as long as it doesn't interfere with other things.

I was really shocked when my mom actually asked for copies of my prints the other day. She never really showed interest before lol...

Really interesting range of experiences we have here : )~

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Moondoggy09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:55 pm
I guess my family supports me... my mother funds my artistic pursuits all the while insisting that I get a real job... so she is really on both sides of the fence there.
As for everyone else, they say the occasional "Cool" but nobody really supports me... and they all helped me believe I was better than I actually am which has been a major detriment.
Personally I feel there level of support has been detrimental, since I was brought to believe I didn't really need to improve so I didn't strive to become a better artist for around 2 years.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff