Submit

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 pm
No, really! I'm finally finished with 6 grueling months of Nuclear Power School. Most of you have kept up with me and kept me strong through it. Well, your support has paid off. I finished my final exam at 11:45am EST this morning. Great feeling, lemme tell you. There is no greater experience than putting everything you have into a task and seeing the results of your labor on game day. Thank you all for keeping my spirits up, giving me distractions, livening the stressful times.

For those of you who didn't know (or who don't know me, for that matter), I've just finished the final chunk of my training to be a nuclear operator on board the U.S. Navy's nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. Sounds badass, right? Well, I hope so. It's been a long haul.

So what happens now? Well, I'll get my transfer orders on Friday. At that time, I'll be instructed specifically on which carrier I'll be going to, what time I have to report, etc. Exciting, a bit terrifying really (have you seen the SIZE of those things? O_O ), and a definite indication that if you put your mind to something, you can get it done.

Now enough about that. Discussion. This whole ordeal has me curious.

I know there are a lot of rumors, stories, and what have you about nuclear power. It's a powerful and misunderstood science. What I want to know is what you think. What have you heard that you'd like me to elaborate on; what myths would you have me unravel?

And before you ask, no. I don't build nuclear warheads... though that would be FREAKING SWEET! whee  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:34 pm
*hugs Pisces*
Congrats!

Anyway, now that I've got that out of the way, I just wanted to say that I like the idea of this whole thread. 3nodding So many folks just assume things about nuclear power and the like...So yay.

Also, yay nuke peoples~

[/generallyuselesspost]

invisible-weirdo

Kerrigan_dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:36 pm
I'm glad you've finally finished! biggrin Congrats, dude.

I don't really know what I've heard about nuclear power... my chem teacher said "if it looks funny and has weird numbers, it's nuclear chemistry, which we're not learning this year, so don't worry about it. biggrin " Which frustrated me, cause I wanted to learn about it. -.-

So answer me this. Why do people say "I'm gonna nuke it" when they put something in the microwave?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm
You know, I bet if you ever wanted a job in Canada, there is a nuclear power plant about half an hour north of where I am now, my moms I was also raised in this area. Being as that is I know a bit about nuclear energy as well, but what I want to know is why the hell can't we launch out waste into space? People are all up in arms about nuclear waste and it doesn't seem to matter how safe it is to put where ever, people will still b***h about it!

I would also like to say SUPER HUGE CONGRATS! I'm happy that you're getting what you're working for!

I have not seen these ships you talk about no. Also what do these aircraft carriers do?

Haha "support" yes, us here at the ATG will call it support! wink I'm just Joshin' ya! Glad to help if I did at all.

Edit: Does that mean we'll be seeing less of you soon?  

God-Raped-Me

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm
Congrats dude, congrats. Also, did you finish a bit early? I had you in my phone as finishing on friday...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Congrats! biggrin

I don't have any real thoughts on nuclear power but, I'm happy for you so, thought I'd post anyways xp  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm
Invis: xd Useless post is not entirely useless. One always need publicity and approval, right? biggrin

Kerri: Too bad you don't get you learn about it. Like I've said before, I could walk you through a little bit of it. <_<;; As for the microwave comment, it's the same general concept as nuclear radiation. Microwaves are electromagnetic waves with less energy than gamma waves (one of the key components of nuclear radiation). The microwaves excite the water and hydrogen-rich molecules of your food, causing them to ionize (goes into deeper crap with electrons and whatnot). This ionization gives off energy in the form of heat. That heat cooks your food. >_> <_< And... that... is... how a microwave... works... in relation to nuclear power? xd My bad.

GRM: I've thought about moving to Canada to take part in their nuclear power programs. I'm not sure what I want to do post-navy yet though.
Unfortunately, yes. It does mean you'll be seeing a bit less of me in the near future. Being on a ship makes it somewhat more difficult to be online, but not impossible. Aircraft carriers get wi-fi! 8D But it's not always available to lower ranks. >_< Anyway, I'll do my best. After all, I won't be at sea 24/7.

EDIT: Roland: The graduation ceremony is on Friday, dude, but my test was today. biggrin

Ala: It's cool. ^_^ Thanks for the congrats.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:58 pm
Mm. See? I knew you could do it, DP. I mean, as I said, if you've already finished so much, you might as well give it your all and finish your best, eh?

I'll miss seeing you around, considering you won't be around as much. But, it's cool.  

Sentama Lin

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:05 pm
AHA, so I don't fail then. That's good to know xd  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:05 pm
Pisces: If you could teach me a bit about it, that'd be awesomesauce. :3 They replaced nuclear chem with organic chemistry... grr... -.- *should let it go, as she's already graduated, and got a really high mark in that class anyways* xd

But anyways, thank you for explaining about microwaves. :3 I've asked my dad before, but he tends to get off topic.. I believe the last time I asked he started ranting about quantum physics and mechanics and trees falling in the forest.... sweatdrop

Hmm. Who first came up with the concept of nuclear power and why? 3nodding  

Kerrigan_dragon

124-C

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Congratulations!

Now, you remember the plan, right? ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:10 pm
They are trusting you with a sub. Dear god, I'm glad they didn't let me in now!

Well if you get super powers from your work don't kill me  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm
Actually, Sav, they're trusting me with an aircraft carrier.

A Virginia Class submarine has ONE 78 megawatt reactor.

A Nimitz Class aircraft carrier generally has TWO 550 megawatt reactors.

Now whether or not you know what a megawatt is, do the math. Aircraft carriers are simultaneously the largest AND the fastest ships in the fleet.

Thank you so much for all your congrats, by the way. >w< I'm absolutely ecstatic right now.

Yes, Tsuj. I remember. twisted  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:23 pm
Excellent. I shall alert the others.  

124-C

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm
*Imagines what super powers Pisces might get........... Shakes head clear*

Well you have certenatly(sp?) opened up lots of doors for yourself in the future! Again good lusk with the aircraft and what not. Don't get blown up or anything.

I thought the waves in the microwave just made the atoms move faster heating food up that way. Oh well.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff