Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elves on Bookshelves - The Bookcase for Friends of Fantasy

Back to Guilds

A literate guild for readers: We mainly discuss books, but feel free to share jokes and real life issues; we'll laugh and cry with you. 

Tags: contests & quests & advice for writers, faery games and medieval quizzes, original poetry, fan art and fiction, library of myths and legends, fun magic wizard, bookworm & bibliophile 

Reply Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!
People that Bother You When You Read

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 pm
Aren't they annoying? rolleyes

You're sitting quietly reading; minding your own business, and they randomly come over to you and ask, "What you reading?"

When that happens to me, I hold the book up higher and tap the front cover where the title is. That lets them know what the novel is and gets the messege across that I don't want to talk. Usually, they go away after that.

Sometimes, however - if the irritating person is a teenaged boy - he stays and says, "Oh, I've read that."

Knowing that he hasn't, I inquire, "Who was your favourite character?"

After he cluelessly mutters, "Uh..." I look back at the pages, dismissing the idiot, and he has the brains to finally go away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm
I just ignore people. Most people go away. Then they ask what I'm reading and I ignore them... or they keep asking so I reply, "A book. "
"What book?"
"A book with a title, words, chapters and a more complex plot then you can read."
.... then some go away
Or if it's someone.... such as Dylan (jackas5), who takes my book, reads the ending then proceeds to shout about what happens. *growls* I hate him.
Or Casey. An older jackas5 two grades ahead, who if I bring a book in his house, he takes it, threats me with a bat(because the first time he stole my book I kicked him so hard he got a bruise) and tells me that if I start to read he'll throw my book in his pool. I really don't get my cousin is friends with him....
Mostly I just ignore people and have my headphones on, so people just kinda sit there for a minute, watching me, until I glare at them for a second and a half, then go back to reading.....  

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Elf on a Bookshelf
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 am
Oh, geez, they really get on my nerves! stressed Not only do they ask, "What are you reading?" They also want to know, "Why are your ears pointy?" but I'm sure you've all experienced that...Wait, maybe that's just me! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:11 pm
When ever someone asked me what I'm reading I just hold up the book and continue reading. If they don't go away I give them one of my famous "I'm gonna kill you if you don't leave me alone" twisted looks and they leave. I hate it when people don't get the hints and try to talk when your reading. If my glare doesn't work then I look up at them and tell them to beat it or shut up!!

NekoGirlItzura

noushuddup

Shameless Lunatic

10,375 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:47 pm
PANDA reading a BOOK
I just ignore people. Most people go away. Then they ask what I'm reading and I ignore them... or they keep asking so I reply, "A book. "
"What book?"
"A book with a title, words, chapters and a more complex plot then you can read."
.... then some go away
Or if it's someone.... such as Dylan (jackas5), who takes my book, reads the ending then proceeds to shout about what happens. *growls* I hate him.
Or Casey. An older jackas5 two grades ahead, who if I bring a book in his house, he takes it, threats me with a bat(because the first time he stole my book I kicked him so hard he got a bruise) and tells me that if I start to read he'll throw my book in his pool. I really don't get my cousin is friends with him....
Mostly I just ignore people and have my headphones on, so people just kinda sit there for a minute, watching me, until I glare at them for a second and a half, then go back to reading.....
I oughta try that sometime.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 pm
It's really irritating and never fails, when you're at a climax or a really interesting part, someone will interrupt you.

If I'm feeling nice, I'll flash the cover at them, so they can read the title if they actually want to know. That usually sends enough of a signal that I don't even have to look off the page. If they keep bothering me about it, I might send a glare, or retreat to another place where they can't talk to me until I at least finish the scene.  

Matelia legwll

Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games