Reply The Physics and Mathematics Guild
the origins and end of the universe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lugal-demon-lord-king-0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:43 pm
i remember reading a article from sciam and it was talking about the possibility of a oscillating universe where it contracts then bounces then contracts and ecetera. and i was wondering if this is true? and if the universe can be deemed as a eternal entitity?also if the universe is a isolated system how does entropy play into it?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 pm
it was god everybody knows that he snapped his fingers there was a poof and humans came out lol im just jokin tis a interesting theory you have thar though ^_^  

o mally cat

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:47 pm
lugal-demon-lord-king-0
i remember reading a article from sciam and it was talking about the possibility of a oscillating universe where it contracts then bounces then contracts and ecetera. and i was wondering if this is true? and if the universe can be deemed as a eternal entitity?also if the universe is a isolated system how does entropy play into it?

Well the true answer is that we don't know yet.

Believe it or not, the Universe is huge, and we haven't even gotten out of our Solar system; yet understand how everything works mhmm.

We don't even know what the hell gravity is.

We haven't got a clue; we can basically only measure things as of now.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 pm
I think what you read about was the "Big Bounce Theory".
The basic idea is that the "Big Bang" happened and expanded the universe and eventually the acceleration of the universe will stop and eventually contract into a singular spec again called the "Big Crush".

This idea leads to endless time, unlimited universes and multiple dimensions.  

Leon_Everest

Theoretical Physicist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:06 am
Well we already know that we have at least three dimensions, and considering that time is relevant it is possible that it's another dimension although that's mostly uh... yeah...

As far as multiple dimensions go, I don't think that it's that far off because we have dark matter which exerts dark gravity on things yet it's not our visible spectrum; we can only calculate the effect of it's gravitational pull. This leads to multiple theories on what that is, how String Theory could work (with 4, no 6, no 11, no 26, no infinite, no 4 again, possibly needed dimensions).

As far as the Big Bang theory goes the universe is constantly expanding so the idea that the universe had started at a central point and then started expanding gains some credit that way.

So all the theories of how the universe work, as a whole, are hard to figure out because we as a Human race are still trying to figure it out.

Considering our rapid progression however, I wouldn't doubt that in 20 years we'd have a good base of what it is, and in 50 years we'd pretty much know everything.  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games