Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Guild-Wide Tournament Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you want to try it?
  Yah!
  Nah!
  Wah?
  I like money.
View Results

Durgress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Yes I know the 5 man 3.5 competition JUST ended, however, this idea is a bit different. Instead of just making a character made to beat someone elce into a bloody pulp, why don't we make it more like a mideval tourney, with different forms of competition, from jousting, to archery, mage-duels, gladiator fights, chariot riding, even things that don't really fit, like a capture the flag type competition. We might even be able to make a permanant game of it, coming up with new competitons or re-visiting old ones against someone new, with advancement in the form of xp at completion, mabey a bonus for the winner.

So what do you think? Think this is brilliant, think I've gone off the deep end (don't worry, I already know I have), just crazy enough to work, or are you just going to slowly call the mental institution to come get me?

Also, feel free to ask questions, I like answering them.

Rules of the game:

Starting level: 1
Starting gold: 1000
Ability scores: 32 point buy, or rolls if you want to use them.
Recources allowed: Any in print, and homebrew is allowed if I approve.
Player limit: None, there is always room for more victims... I mean fresh meat.

Backstory: You have recently heard rumors of an incredibly rich nobleman who is asking adventurers to participate in fantastic competitions. While no one could ever answer your question as to why he wants people there, you do learn he is offering huge sacks of gold and magical items to those who do well.

I am considering making a few situations where there is no fight against each other, but instead learn more about this competition, but if you just want a reason to fight, I'll let you do that.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 am
*pounces out and grabs a flag before running off* whee

I think it sound like a lot of fun/work!  

Bound Birdie

bamaotaku
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 am
Seems interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:54 am
I'd probably be interested in this kind've thing... considering a long time ago I'd planned to run something like this, but never got around to it (because I never finished setting it up.)

The idea behind mine was that everyone would have 1-3 persistent characters, which means that they would use these characters for all competitions (instead of making a character specifically for one competition) and being more of a "who can make a good jack of all trades" rather than "who can twink out the character for a given task the most."

XP and gold would be rewarded (as well as trophies) for victories; the trophies can be kept or sold for a decent value. Everyone would enter the town with nothing (except being 1st-level characters with starting gold for their class), and from there they could win enough to own their own home to display their prizes and such forth. I was also trying to add a bit of roleplay to it (I just looked t my notes, and there are gold fines for things.. like arguing/fighting with other competitors.) Some fines include jail time and such. xD.

I'm sort of rambling now so I'll stop. Suffice to say I only ended up typing up the archery and melee competitions, some information about the town, some about the festival behind the tournaments. But either way you intend to do it, if I have the means, I'd probably enter.

As a side, Complete Warrior actually has a section with some information on how to do some of these. Along with other books, I have one called "Tournaments and Fairs" (or something like that) as well, though I didn't have it then. And I still have all the stuff for mine, if you happen to want any of that. I could zip it and upload it for anyone, really.

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

SkyCore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:33 pm
Will this also be 3.5? I would be interested but I'm kinda limited to 4e.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:37 pm
PrismCity
Will this also be 3.5? I would be interested but I'm kinda limited to 4e.

If someone knows how to do this with 4e without making rediculos amounts of homebrew, I might try it, but as it is Sword and Fist, the 3.0 equivalent of Complete Warrior, has most of the info I need and I can supplement it with things like the mage-duel mechanic from Faerun.  

Durgress

WingedDemonVM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:18 pm
If this can be done in 4e, then I'm definitely interested. I might be interested if it's for 3.5, but I'm just not as experienced with that edition.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:50 am
I think now days I lean more heavily on 4th edition. Though this type of thing would work MUCH better using 3.5 rules. Sounds awesome though. >.<

Years ago when my IRL party were playing 3.5 Faerun Campaign the DM added a tournament like the one Reeve was describing. There was Archery, Sword Play, Mage Duels, some form of Gymnastic event, and some kind of Triathlon event (with horses instead of bikes I think, it was a while ago). I think their might have been a few more but I can't really remember them. Each entry could enter 3 events at most with a moderate charge for each one you enter.

It's still one of the best sessions I've ever had as a PC. >.< I'd definitely be up for this. Though again, 3.5 would be better. Like in the Triathlon, 3.5 you would need to even out Ride, Swim, maybe Climb or Jump if you add in some extra creative elements. But in 4th edition there's just Athletics. So who ever has best in that 1 skill almost certainly has best chances of winning. Same goes with the Gymnastic event. I think something like this would need the fluffy rules that 4th edition doesn't have.  

joe-dude667

SkyCore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 am
my experience with 3.5 is very limited and I am not sure what you are wanting to do exactly that you don't think 4e could do.

if it cant be done in normal combat couldn't a skill challenge work?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:58 pm
Holy hell count me in n.n

No Warlock this time >_> Got my a** kicked xD

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Durgress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:56 pm
This one is a bit less emphasis on a**-kicking ratio and more on being crafty and using the area to your advantage.

Anyways, we want to do this as a permanant game or just a short competition? Whichever is chosen will change the way I set the game up, i.e. if it's one shot I'll make characters with you guys as a whole making decisions on how to set them up, but if it is a semi-permanant game I'll let you all make your own chars and level them up through competition  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:12 pm
2nd Edition
[/cough][/cough]

Deadusernamelol

Bound Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm
Permanent! This is the kind of thing that has the versatility to not get old for a while. With all the different types and that way we could commit to playing a few games, and still be able to give everyone that want's a chance to playing seeing as there is a lot of interest. Also it would be an easy thing to change DM's so you wouldn't have to commit to running indefinitely and it could be more of a team effort!!

Also if we are running multiple competitions would it not be possible to run the "challenge" with either 4e or 3.5 rules?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:15 pm
Sounds fun. I'd say 3.5 (or even Pathfinder biggrin ) would be best. 4th is a little too combat-locked to have enough variety for the bards and rogues and whatnot to have their day.  

Edrin Steel

Hasan Etherion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm
I am in if it is 3.5.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items