Reply Community Lounge
The Best Gifts Are Not Always The Most Expensive Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:33 pm
My coffee shop boss came back from Egypt two days ago, and I was very glad to see her again when I came into work (early, as always) today. I hugged her and her friend, who is also a good friend of mine, and then they showed me the gifts that my boss and her fiance from Egypt got me.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

They got me two mugs: one with a sheep design and the other with a cat design. The cat mug, unfortunately, broke. They weren't particularly expensive looking, but I loved them because of their design and one other important thing about them.

My boss's fiance is really poor financially, but he is possibly one of the most love-rich and caring person I know, other than my boss. When my boss visited Egypt and her fiance, she came with 1 000 USD from her own pockets and from donations from others to give to the poor during Ramadan and stayed in conditions where there was inadequate, if any, sanitation, and, a fact with a lot of gravity, where their own family didn't even have enough cups of their own. The fiance's family don't have much to give, and yet, they still gave me such wonderful gifts.

They definitely didn't need to get me two mugs, especially when they could have used them better. But now, the mugs are special in some way, even the broken one. Is it love? I don't know; I can't describe love other than it brings the ultimate happiness and freedom. But, what I do know is I was touched. Touched by such a wonderful gift.

ATG, what are the most sentimental gifts you guys have ever received?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:45 pm
That's so weird I was just talking about this with someone the other day.

One birthday, my boyfriend gave me this green glass orb with black swirly lines in it. It was probably the weirdest, most random gift anyone's ever given me that actually meant something. He said when he saw it, it made him think of me. So just knowing that when he was out shopping, and he saw this object, and it made him think of me, I found that very touching. It's on my desk now, and every time I hold it or look at it I think, "Wow. He put some nice thought into this." ^_^ So it makes me think of him whenever I see it. I love it!  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

pickle relish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 pm
I think the best present I've ever gotten was when I was 9 or so.

I was in a children's theatre production of The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I was playing Piglet. We had like 12 performances, and I hadn't gotten flowers at any of them. To make things worse, I started having a painful allergic reaction to the makeup 9 performances in. So I was feeling pretty miserable.

I said something in passing to my best friend at the time, who was also in the play, and she brought me flowers at our last performance.

That was nine years ago, and I still think it's one of the best gifts ever. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:49 pm
Snow globes.

When I was a child my mom and dad got me a small plastic snow globe for christmas. I was so in love with it that it became a tradition to get me snow globes. A few years ago GTR didn't know what to get me for christmas so he asked my parents and they told him. He got me the most beautiful snow globe ever! The base reminds me of a bird bath, a beautiful ivory birdbath and inside the globe are roses, my favourite flower! I cried when I opened it! Even now I'm so touched by the globe and how considerate everyone was! Also when we went to Niagara Falls he got me another one, it was from a dollar store but I didn't care. The fact that he knows snow globes mean so much to me is enough to bring tears to my eyes!

Also when I was about 5 or 6 my parents had no money at christmas, and my mom was so upset because she couldn't buy me anything. Instead she makes a stuffed dog out of old clothing. She thought it was the crappiest thing ever, but when I opened it I loved it! It is still to this day one of my favourite gifts from my parents! I knew she made it by hand and that made it mean so much more to me. I didn't care how it looked, and it does look silly, but that didn't and doesn't matter to me.

Ahh childhood memories! Thanks Lin, by remembering all these things you've manage to calm my soul!  

God-Raped-Me

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 pm
@Kyla: Those are the kinds of gifts I love too. I gave Andy a teddy bear one time because I saw this teddy bear that reminded me of him, and then I remembered his last ex lost his childhood bear, and I thought "How nice would it be to receive a bear!" In general those kinds of gifts that you just know someone else will love turn out to be very good gifts.

@Peeks: Flowers? That's really nice of the friend. Not only was it functional, but I bet it helped make the irritation from the makeup be a little more bearable.

@Grmmy: Again, adorable. Along with finding gifts that just scream a certain person, handmade gifts are another good gift. I'm planning to make scarves for some people before the holidays to give out.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:13 pm
Are they going to be wool scarves?  

God-Raped-Me

dark_wyvern_panda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 pm
Kindness. Emo heart hurting, kindness ><  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 pm
Unfortunately, no. They'll be cheap acrylic, but I've only started to sew things. I'm hoping the sentiments will matter more than the textile.  

Sentama Lin

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 pm
I think they'll love it! I know I would!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:25 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Those are the mugs. smile  

Sentama Lin

Pnytenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 am
the best gifts that i recieve everyday during the week, is a txt from my fiance. He asks me how i am and hope that work is going well for me and he never fails to tell me that he loves me, misses me, and can't wait for me to be in his arms again.

It makes me very happy. he's been doing this since we got together 8 months ago. We're getting married on March 6, 2010.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 am
Wow you guys are getting married after just over a year of being together. Pretty guttsy. GTR and I are going onto our 6th year of being together. But we know we're for sure getting married next year!!! heart  

God-Raped-Me

Pnytenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:12 am
All relationships are different... but Congratulations!!! When's the date?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am
Pnytenshi
the best gifts that i recieve everyday during the week, is a txt from my fiance. He asks me how i am and hope that work is going well for me and he never fails to tell me that he loves me, misses me, and can't wait for me to be in his arms again.

It makes me very happy. he's been doing this since we got together 8 months ago. We're getting married on March 6, 2010.

aw, that's so sweet  

chibibble

O h a y a r i

Demonic Hunter

13,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 am
The best gift ive gotten so far, would have to be the necklace my girlfriend got me for my birthday. It wasnt overly expensive or anything, but she got it because the chain i got from my dad had broken ninja (im crying thinking about how much i miss him) so she bought me a new one. I do NOT take it off, ever. If i do it feels like a part of me is missing. We've been together for 3 years on december 24th and I couldnt bed happier. We're going to Japan in April, staying until the end of July

ninja I'm gonna ask her to marry me in July while we're in the imperial gardens. I really hope she says yes.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff