Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
DDO Unlimited Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:25 pm
So the 9th of Sept is today and DDO is out, a D&D 3.5 Eberron based MMORPG for all those who dont know... is becoming free to play... I will personally be playing and hoping to start a Dwarf Fighter or Paladin just curious to see everyone's thoughts on the topic  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:33 pm
i have played in the past....my main was a halfling rogue  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm
I played in the beta for DDO Unlimited, it's... interesting to say the least. The big problem is you still have to pay to get basically all the mutli-quests outside of the docks... maybe all of em. So it'll be a pain.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:28 am
well, going free is something that most games either do when they are coming out with a sequel, or when they are about to crash and burn and this is their last ditch effort not to.  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:13 am
Yea, I see a 4.0 version coming out... it has all the makings for something like that... even 4.0 haters (I like 3.5 by the way but I support 4.0 too so anyway) thinks Wizards is going all WoW on D&D... and I dont personally support that insult... buuuut I do play WoW... but than again I've played Wc2 to WoW so I know alot of the lore... the new expansion planned... will kill it for me...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:48 pm
JinKazamaru
Yea, I see a 4.0 version coming out... it has all the makings for something like that... even 4.0 haters (I like 3.5 by the way but I support 4.0 too so anyway) thinks Wizards is going all WoW on D&D... and I dont personally support that insult... buuuut I do play WoW... but than again I've played Wc2 to WoW so I know alot of the lore... the new expansion planned... will kill it for me...

How so? Really, I see this expansion as completely cohesive, and I'm a lore junkie. If someing would have killed it for you, it would have been BC.  

Durgress

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:03 pm
Actually, they made it free to play to try to get more money. You have to either purchase the subscription to get everything (and 500 points a month) or purchase points to buy them.

Either way, which server are people on and what character?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 am
I've been playing this game since Beta release, two years ago and love the latest module released. Many improvements have been made to the game that make it faster and easily accessible to new players.

I have all 10 of my character slots filled at this time and looking to purchase another here soon enough. I play on Thelanis mostly though I could play on Sarlona because I had a few people over there I used to play with.

My characters are Gustavian, Gustafar, Gusserin, Gusterin, Nelane, Velera, Valeera, and two caster types I'm waiting to play.  

Mitsuke_Hyakka

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:51 pm
Wait, what all do you have to buy, and what can you do for free?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 pm
I am downloading it now.  

Hasan Etherion

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:49 pm
Durgress
JinKazamaru

How so? Really, I see this expansion as completely cohesive, and I'm a lore junkie. If someing would have killed it for you, it would have been BC.

Well no BC fits well enough... Illidan and Kael did escape there... thats where the orcs did come from before being enslaved... I dont really see what is so lore shaking... the new expansion... will have nothing but made up content... just to hold back killing the Lich King... their last main enemy... since it didnt bother to add any background for anything new after him... when they came out with WoW

as for DDO I cant remember the server I play on not very far anyway... been messing around with builds  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 pm
JinKazamaru
Durgress
JinKazamaru

Well no BC fits well enough... Illidan and Kael did escape there... thats where the orcs did come from before being enslaved... I dont really see what is so lore shaking... the new expansion... will have nothing but made up content... just to hold back killing the Lich King... their last main enemy... since it didnt bother to add any background for anything new after him... when they came out with WoW

as for DDO I cant remember the server I play on not very far anyway... been messing around with builds

On BC: they ret-conned the WHOLE Burning Legion, changed part of Sargeras origin story, completely destroyed all existing dreanei lore, they ret-conned the holy light as a whole (for only the 5th time), made some non-sencical "how they are made" for void walkers, Old Horde Death Knight in BT WTF?, a clan of orcs conviently ingnored from the original demonic infuence that previously did not exist, Rexxars people not being dead (oh no, they were just hiding because no one liked them, they weren't dead) and more stuff I'm sure I forgot

Note the video said Lich King, not Arthas, we will kill the character we have been dealing with and grown to love hate with a bloody vengance, but Ner-Zhul was barely in any game but WC 2, and they are killing off the characters we know, plus with no scourge under him, the hell can the Lich King even do? Sit pretty in a huge icecicle? Besides, if we were being thorough on killing the bad guys in WoW, the night elves would have died out pretty quickly, and Maiev wouldn't have jsut been let walk off, we would have started beating her with heavy implements in hopes of more fat loot.

And of course they have to make something up, Deathwing was up for speculation and the target of conspiriacy theorists since the Horde kicked his rear in WC 2. With no real information on where he is or what he has been doing, after being missing for 17 years it's not suprising he has something big in store and it's brand new and unexpected. Blizzard has been quoted multiple times a long, long time ago saying they wanted to kill off all the existing threats so they could start anew and have a chance to try new things with new characters. Thus the point of WoW, canonical reason for everything to die, aka we want loot.  

Durgress

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 pm
Arc Vembris
Wait, what all do you have to buy, and what can you do for free?
Basically, you can do it all for free. You get Turbine Points by grinding favor. You spend points (either by favor grind or by buying them) to get... well, basically all the cool stuff outside of the docks, warforged race, can use it to get drow, but you can still grind favor for that. Monk and Favored Soul... though you can grind favor for monk I think.

but yea... all the big, multi-quest things after waterworks you gotta buy, even the one that's normally second, Shan to Kor.

Oh, and you only get 2 character slots... 4 if you were once a subscriber, at start. You can buy more with TP.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 pm
I've been playing since it went free (after trying the beta a long time ago) and I can say that I have enjoyed it. I've a lv6 Rogue and a lv4 Cleric at the moment on Khyber, and I'm only just now starting to get to things that require purchase.  

Tao Tassen

MiriKazamaru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:31 pm
level 2 elf sorc focused on enchantments and level 2 human cleric on heals ^^  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items