Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Funny/Epic D&D Moments Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WingedDemonVM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:57 am
We all have experience those times when a truly amazing moment occurred during a D&D game, or even an event that had the group laughing for minutes straight. Share your most memorable ones here.

I shall begin with one of my own.

The wizard in my group last year decided to argue that he could, in fact, ride his Tensor's Floating Disk into battle. Due to poor enunciation, it sounded to me like the player said, "I can ride my own d**k to battle!" I burst out laughing. No one else got it. Then the player continued to argue, "Why can't I ride my own disk?" Again, "disk" sounded like "d**k." The argument between the player and the DM continued, and the player kept pronouncing "disk" so close to "d**k" that now more people in the group caught on. I was curled on the floor dying of laughter, another player was trying desperately not to laugh, and a third player looked like she was going to pass out if she kept holding back her own laughter. The rest of the group--including the arguing player and the DM--didn't get what was so funny until I managed to explain it. The only person who didn't find it funny was the arguing player, who insisted that she said "disk" correctly.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:03 am
WingedDemonVM
We all have experience those times when a truly amazing moment occurred during a D&D game, or even an event that had the group laughing for minutes straight. Share your most memorable ones here.

I shall begin with one of my own.

The wizard in my group last year decided to argue that he could, in fact, ride his Tensor's Floating Disk into battle. Due to poor enunciation, it sounded to me like the player said, "I can ride my own d**k to battle!" I burst out laughing. No one else got it. Then the player continued to argue, "Why can't I ride my own disk?" Again, "disk" sounded like "d**k." The argument between the player and the DM continued, and the player kept pronouncing "disk" so close to "d**k" that now more people in the group caught on. I was curled on the floor dying of laughter, another player was trying desperately not to laugh, and a third player looked like she was going to pass out if she kept holding back her own laughter. The rest of the group--including the arguing player and the DM--didn't get what was so funny until I managed to explain it. The only person who didn't find it funny was the arguing player, who insisted that she said "disk" correctly.

There is only one response appropriate to this story.

X-f*cking-D!!!  

Rhaegar14

SkyCore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 pm
lol, that's awesome.

I don't have any stories to add unfortunately but I did have a similar situation with one of my games.

We were playing Keep on the Shadowfell, and as we got to the last room there was a large drop to get into the room from the room above. the only way down was athletics checks to climb chains. the warlord and paladin were fine, but the caster classes probably would have fallen onto their faces. so I case my disk ritual, and the three of us squeezed onto my Disk and floated safely to the bottom. The paladin however crit failed his roll and fell on his face.

after we reached the bottom and started the fight, I decided to have my cleric stay on this disk during the fight. the boss monster keep using an effect that caused immobilization, but since I was on my Disk, I was still able to move freely, I even stopped bothering to make my saving throws.

Unfortunately we still had a total party wipe... but it was interesting non-the-less...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:04 pm
Would have to be the evil campaign that I DMed, two different parts.

One of the Dark elves are walking back to camp, with suddenly a voice from the right yells at her "You killed Jiminy! You.... (Trails off yelling etc, don't remember the lines.) She looks over her shoulder, and can't see anything. the voice continues to yell. She looks again and finds a cricket on her shoulder.
More yelling from cricket, and suddenly bugs start swarming out of the ground, and burrowing into her flesh. The pain is excruciating. blah blah blah. Then she wakes up, standing where she had been. Only there is a cricket attacking her ear while yelling "You killed Jiminy..."

Since no one had anymore interest in the campaign I finished it off this way.

After finding suggestions of a bronze dragon in the area, they pillaged a potion cart, finding potions of protection against its breath weapons and a few little nice things.
They come to a cave where they think it is, they walk in. And are ambushed by 25 or so elves. It turns out the potions are actually potions of fumbling, etc.
Well for laughs, the potions that the wizard drank, were potion of rainbow hues, and potion of polymoprh (Turkey).
So, the wizard turns into a pink turkey,manages to kill someone with a roll of 20 on the crit chance, and they get away, but not before being changed and hurt badly enough that the campaign couldn't be continued.

Second edition btw.
Not very many more funny stories, besides someone forgetting to say out of character, when there character wound up getting a hollow boulder stuck on his head, he was mad and said something about dragging his butt on the floor.
Well needless to say. A warrior with a boulder on his head dragging his butt on the floor is rather funny.  

Dragon HighLord Flambe

Distinct Lunatic

WingedDemonVM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:40 pm
I've got lots of stories. I'll try to post them in small doses so as not to overwhelm.

There was a Tiefling Fighter in my group named Stoic. At one point, during a lull in the action, his player rolled a d20 for no apparent reason, then started laughing. The reason: he'd just rolled to figure out Stoic's sexuality, and it turns out that Stoic is gay.

Another story.

I was playing as a Half-Elf Warlock in that same campaign. My friend had just joined in as an Elf Rogue. Our group went to this ruined fortress that we were planning on fixing up to be our home base. The place is, I repeat, a ruined fortress. Lots of work to be done on it. So we were discussing how much it would cost to pay a bunch of workers to fix the place up and such, and we decided that it would take too many people and it would cost too much. My character suggested that we should hire a bunch of workers, kill them once they finish the work, and bury them in the walls. Then we started talking about how that would mess up the structural integrity of the building and such, so that shot down that idea. Then the DM told us that this place had a tomb below it. So then my character suggested that we should dump the bodies in the tomb. That's what a tomb is for, right? My group was appalled. (My character was the only Evil one in the group. The rest were either Lawful Good or Unaligned.)

One last story for now.

We were battling some fire elemental things, and my Warlock got caught on fire. And kept on failing the saving throws to put the fire out. She was not happy, to say the least. Then the Rogue says in the most creepy way possible, "I could take care of that for you." And by that, she clearly meant put my Warlock out of her misery permanently. Gulp. The rest of the group found it hilarious.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 pm
In the last game I played, me and our group's beyond powergamer wizard (We were the only people who could play, couldn't get a hold of the other 2) Came face to face with a Collosal+ Obsidian Statue, meant to personally keep an ancient god from leaving his imprisonment, and is hostile to everything. It was supposedly jsut as hard as the god itself. It was completely immune to all magic, making the powergaming wizard useless, but me, with my 120 Strength score, doesn't give a damn about immunity to magic. The wizard had been dabbling into homebrew Mech d20, and decided to make an epic spell that allowed a person to use a mech suit. He gave it to me. It's most impressive weapon that didn't cost half my spells for the day and a tenth of the wizards was the sonic blades. they dealed 20d6 points of damage. That, combined with 60 damage regardless of rolls due to weapon enchantment and pure strength modifier, made the statue drop in a single round. The wizard, who was acting as DM, said I killed it, and he thought it was going to kill both of us.

In an earlier point in this same day, we came across a room with a Great Wyrm++ with half the class levels we did. In the room it was located, there was a ball of corpses, 20 feet wide. The room itself changes gravity each round, leaving a good chance you would get hit by the ball of bodies. I, deciding to think outside the box, grappled the ball. This wasn't working out too well, I took over 200 damage. So I decided to try to throw the ball at the dragon. The dragon has supposedly been in the room so long it knows the pattern and can thus predict where the ball will go. Guess my Strength roll to throw it at the dragon? If you guessed natural 20, you were right. 90 damage to the dragon, and much chaos ensued as the dragon no longer knew where the ball would go. Again suprising the DM by doing something he though could not happen.  

Durgress

WingedDemonVM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 pm
I got another one, though this wasn't from a game I was in. I just heard about the awesome after the fact.

The group had been asked to slay a black dragon by an evil wizard who didn't like that the dragon was in his territory. In exchange, the wizard would have to do them a favor and so on. So they took the job and went to the cave where the black dragon lived.

The DM had promised the group before the game started that with the way the quest was set up, at least one PC would die. So they were a bit apprehensive. The first encounter was with a bunch of kobolds in a room with lots of traps and acid pits. They made it through that encounter in one piece. Then came the dragon.

One of the PCs had prepared Slay Living because another of the PCs had thought it was a good idea. Just to have it, you know? So the PCs ran up to the dragon and started attacking it and so on. The cleric, I think it was, cast Slay Living and tried to touch the dragon. He missed, but the spell would linger on his hands for a bit so it wasn't a complete waste.

The warlock had been getting on the dragon's nerves, so it tried to take off. The cleric had another chance to touch it as an attack of opportunity. He succeeded in touching it. All that was left was for the dragon to make its save. The DM informed the group that the dragon would need to roll a 1 to fail that save. So he made it an open roll while the players all prayed for a 1.

The roll? A 1. They killed a black dragon with Slay Living. Then they carried its head back to the wizard as a trophy. Needless to say, the wizard was shocked that they slayed the thing so fast and all made it back alive. They made it sound like the dragon was easy for them to kill because they were so powerful and such. The wizard bought it and was instantly afraid of their awesome might.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:51 pm
Okay, I know this story isnt D&D, its Shadowrun, but it is too nutty to ignore. The group had entered a room, and it was fairly small, then a group of ghouls started crawling down the walls. So, one of the characters threw an explosive grenade and it affected the explosives expert with 250 pounds of explosives. It set off the explosives and so he tpked the entire party. It made me sad and the campaign actually ended a week later.  

Hasan Etherion

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:12 pm
Okay, I have one I should share (I was thinking about it earlier today, actually).

My gaming group, for the most part, attaches some pretty harsh stigmata with powerful magic items/artifacts that are potentially game breaking. The biggest, harshest of them all is the Deck of Many Things.

So, I was playing in a planescape campaign with 4 PCs. We had to assemble the Rod of 7 Parts, before the bad guys did. There were 3 groups: The good guys (us), working for a mysterious benefactor (we started the campaign with our memories gone, a la River Styx) who wanted to keep it out of the hands of the forces of Evil; one group who worked Asmodeus, who wanted it to destroy the multiverse; and one working for the Lady of Pain, who wanted it to rule the multiverse.

At one point, we went to Pandemonium to try to get a piece before one of the evil teams got it. They were boring through to the Vault of the Gods, and we stopped them just before. We bore the rest of the way, though we got jumped and hit hard (we lost our Cleric, and our only way out of Pandemonium!) with only a couple hundred feet to go. We broke into the Vault and were attacked by powerful elementals. There were I think 3 or 4 chests there, and I (playing a Dragonfire Adept) grabbed them while the Warforged Frenzied Berserker and the Psionic Barbarian were holding them off. One chest contained the Rod piece, but I found something else, by the pure random chance of the dice:

A Deck of Many Things.

I drew from it and got generally bad results, including losing 10,000 XP, summoning a Dread Wraith, having one friend turn against me, and gaining the service of a 4th level fighter. Really, I was quite boned.

But then something occurred to me. The Fighter had been summoned to be completely loyal to me. I commanded him to draw, and he did. He gained 10,000 XP, I think a major magic item, and 1d4 wishes.

I had him wish for the Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy to not end until all enemies had been defeated (thus taking out the elementals in the vault through a battle that probably lasted 30 in-game minutes of Deathless Frenzy), and for me and him to return to Sigil. I managed to get our rod piece turned into Bahamut of all beings, and I think we had over half of it, so the multiverse was effectively saved.

So, despite how poorly my group thinks of it, the Multiverse was saved by a Deck of Many Things, and a 4th Level Fighter.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:06 pm
WingedDemonVM
All that was left was for the dragon to make its save. The DM informed the group that the dragon would need to roll a 1 to fail that save. So he made it an open roll while the players all prayed for a 1.

The roll? A 1.

That reminds me of one of my favorite Penny Arcade quotes.

"What are the odds?"
"About one in twenty."  

Dark Jono

Quotable Conversationalist

6,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Elocutionist 200

One Eye X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 pm
In a campaign I was in, which was strictly limited to my close friends, we had one of the few moments where an amazing inside joke formed.

At the time and place, I think around level 7ish, our attacks where hitting for 30ish damage a piece. Anyways, we have one friend who wasn't really the kind of person you expect to play DnD. He was a club going, rub-it-in-your-face, 'I'm so cool' kinda guy. Anyways, he's about a level below us, showed up late for the game and we decided to be nice and let him jump right into the combat with his Rogue.

His first attack deals 8 damage. Which, he seemed proud of.

Very proud.

So proud he decided to announce it with a good old "BAM! 6 DAMAGE!"

I snickered and the group kinda just ignored it.

The team decided to try and make use of a door way as a choke-point for the oncoming enemies. But out fateful Rogue ran out and continued his attack.

For 8 damage. Which was again brought to our attention with a "BAM BITCHES! 8 DAMAGE!" which led to him trying to rub it in our Paladins face.

Next turn, the Paladin hit for 22 damage.

From that day forward, the joke of rolling a 1 on your damage roll became a que to yell and riot, regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:16 pm
Last night/issue, in Mutants & Masterminds...

My current character (brand new, I started a new hero because my last character was a bookkeeping nightmare) is a brand new super hero, fused with a paragon symbiote from space. He went on a mission with another PC who was training him, tracking down a number of super villains that escaped from superjail that day. We had tracked down his nemesis, Candy Man. The mentor's paragon symbiote has a power-draining weakness to high-fructose corn syrup, and Candy Man had trapped him in a molasses snare.

My character tries to help by summoning a giant cube and throwing it with super strength at the bad guy (it's his gig). Natural 1 on my attack roll. Whoops! Beans the mentor in the head by mistake. He makes a Toughness save instead.

... Natural 1. House rule means the damage he takes is lethal instead. Follows up with another toughness save. Bombs it.

3 days into super heroing, and my character KILLS one of the city's most beloved super heroes.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 pm
Rain Yupa
Last night/issue, in Mutants & Masterminds...

My current character (brand new, I started a new hero because my last character was a bookkeeping nightmare) is a brand new super hero, fused with a paragon symbiote from space. He went on a mission with another PC who was training him, tracking down a number of super villains that escaped from superjail that day. We had tracked down his nemesis, Candy Man. The mentor's paragon symbiote has a power-draining weakness to high-fructose corn syrup, and Candy Man had trapped him in a molasses snare.

My character tries to help by summoning a giant cube and throwing it with super strength at the bad guy (it's his gig). Natural 1 on my attack roll. Whoops! Beans the mentor in the head by mistake. He makes a Toughness save instead.

... Natural 1. House rule means the damage he takes is lethal instead. Follows up with another toughness save. Bombs it.

3 days into super heroing, and my character KILLS one of the city's most beloved super heroes.

rofl love it!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:30 am
I believe it was the first or second encounter I ever DMed for... 4e I had a group that had, a quirky Bladeling Shaman (Dont ask...) cocky full of himself Half Orc Ranger, clumsy Fey Elf Rogue (for lack of poor rolls... poor guy), hot headed Fire Genasi Swordmage, and Dragonborn Paladinwho thought he was the rebirth of Bahumat, they were running the default kobold dungeon in the back for the 4e DM book... with a few minor twists of flavor...

Anyway, one of the kobold's retreated and than found himself crowding in a corner, they than bond and tied the shifty little guy and put him into Bahumat's backpack... later on in the solo finish for the dungeon against an ice dragon... which I modded a little to preform a tail attack that knocked Bahumat down... the kobold now called Slippy rolled out... about to be stepped on by the dragon and killed defenselessly, Bahumat entered Slippy's square and took the hit... after the encounter was over... Slippy conversed from Tiamat to Bahumat... and became Bahumat's personal little buddy (if you ever played Elder Scrolls Oblivion and won the Arena you will know what I mean) this all lasted up until a encounter close to their level to 11... where Skippy died taking a hit for the new friend he had made

I played the role of Skippy as DM... it allowed an outside touch to interaction against Bahumat's player... Skippy was a easily scared fellow who had a bad old habit of clinging to bags of gold... tried to work the angle of playing a kobold... who had a past with tiamat learning to virtues of Bahumat... he wasn't the best help in a fight... but that wasn't ever a point he was used to solve problems, carry objects, scout, gain combat advantage (I gave him an ability that he got a plus in damage if he was flanking with Bahumat much like sneak attack and a small plus in attack rolls and defense when standing next to him)  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items