Welcome to Gaia! ::

~In His World~ A Sonic Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild for Sonic Fans and Sonic Roleplayers. 

Tags: Sonic, Roleplay, Hedgehog, Role, Play 

Reply ◊Sonic Discussion◊
Sonic Lion? Old news is old. But...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scars-of-an-Undead
Crew

Friendly Camper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:26 pm
User Image

I'm sure many of you have seen screenshots of this lion species character in Sonic X. Now, I don't keep in touch with the Sonic X series since the time for the show constantly changes in Canada (and I can't stand watching series off the internet ninja ) So I was wondering if anyone knew who this guy was?

To me, he seems like a random, background character in the series that probably won't have a deep story - but I found him rather interesting because of his character design. It seems as though he was highly inspired by none other than Osamu Tezuka (The creator of Astro Boy and Kimba). Kimba was an anime series in the 60's that stared a white lion as the protagonist. I couldn't help but notice many similarities between the two. Here's a screenshot below. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a more detailed picture for the comparison xp

User Image

As Kimba gets older, he also has a similar pointed mane like the Sonic lion character shown above. I'm guessing the character's an 'Easter egg' tribute to Osamu Tezuka? What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 pm

To me, it seems that they simply fused Astro Boy and Kimba to make that character.. the front of the hair resembles both, the back of the hair resembles Astro Boy's, not to mention he's posed exactly like Astro Boy... one of the questions that plague's me about a lot of furry characters, especially one like this, is: Why do they wear ANY clothes if they could just go without?

Like in the top picture, he's wearing a belt, but as you can see, no pants.. what's the point of a belt with no pants? It just doesn't make much sense to me.. but I suppose he'd look a little strange without the belt, it probably adds more "Astro Boy" feel to the character, since it's already dominated by Kimba.. not to mention it'd probably be weird to have a show about a bunch of naked animals running around beating up a power-hungry engineerist, or whatever you wanna label Eggman as..

I've never actually heard of the show Kimba before, and at first glance of the name I was actually thinking of Kovu from Lion King for some odd reason.. and the only reason I know about Astro Boy is because one night when I was up late they were showing old shows on one of my favorite TV channel's, and one of the shows happened to be Astro Boy

XxTsuki KumorixX

1,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Tspuun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 pm
The lion's a random background character. Most likely, his design is just a shout out to Kimba.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:56 pm
XxTsuki KumorixX
I've never actually heard of the show Kimba before, and at first glance of the name I was actually thinking of Kovu from Lion King for some odd reason..

That's not a surprising connection. The Lion King was greatly influenced by Kimba and Shakespeare's Hamlet. There was even a court case when the Lion King was released since they were accused of 'art theft' or just theft in general [Rant & Explaination here]

I adore the Lion King movie but I did find some of the scenes to be rather similar to Kimba. I was thinking/hoping it to be more of a tribute rather than a theft.  

Scars-of-an-Undead
Crew

Friendly Camper

XMajestic_Dreaming_AngelX
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:19 pm
I've only seen Kimda for commercials... I think it was for a sailor moon tape that I had when I was younger. :/

but yeah, he kinda does look like kimba.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:07 pm
Xx_HeartlessXLoveless_xX
I've only seen Kimda for commercials... I think it was for a sailor moon tape that I had when I was younger. :/

but yeah, he kinda does look like kimba.

I have seen them in the Dragon ball tapes .
The orignal , when goku was a kid .  

Dmk87_3

Starstruck_Skies

Sparkly Senshi

17,175 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 pm
He kinda looks like Silver, but as a lion. Just throwing that out there. The design for Silver and this lion character look similar.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm
Migoto Chi
He kinda looks like Silver, but as a lion. Just throwing that out there. The design for Silver and this lion character look similar.

Hmm... To be honest I don't see TOO many similarities between the two. The only thing I can spot out is the fact that he's white, and that he's got the long boots like Silver. *shrugs*  

Scars-of-an-Undead
Crew

Friendly Camper

Starstruck_Skies

Sparkly Senshi

17,175 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:11 am
Scars-of-an-Undead
Migoto Chi

Hmm... To be honest I don't see TOO many similarities between the two. The only thing I can spot out is the fact that he's white, and that he's got the long boots like Silver. *shrugs*

True, but he has a Silver-ish feel to him. xD  
◊Sonic Discussion◊

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff