Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Archives
☆ Your Guide to Gaia Online Safety Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To whom should you give out your password?
  No one!
View Results

Link_of_Hylia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm
You may want to add a part in the thread about cybering and general cyber security.

Such as, how to stay away from cybering so you're not reported for doing it, and how to report cybering so that we can clean up towns.

I think newbies get caught in a vortex of all this mess because they like Gaia Towns and Gaia Rally... but it ends up becoming a big cyber sex fest and no one really knows what else to do. Since it's bannable, I'd definitely include it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:51 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thank you for the suggestion; that's a great idea. 3nodding  

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

kihetai oni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:06 am
This was helpful, quick to read and easy to understand. Thanks for the info!  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 am
Ok May I add a picture? Because this had happen to me once... Someone threatened me to give my pass and fill out this form.. I just wanna show a copy of it.. It was via pm.. I just quoted it =w = anyways i just edited it :3 Be careful people! May I put the link?

Ayrah XD

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am
iMikah -x-
Ok May I add a picture? Because this had happen to me once... Someone threatened me to give my pass and fill out this form.. I just wanna show a copy of it.. It was via pm.. I just quoted it =w = anyways i just edited it :3 Be careful people! May I put the link?

Yes, you may post it -- provided that the offender's name is removed from the image and that you do not post his/her username.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 pm
Okay Guys ^w ^ This is an example of a scam in a pm or password phishing :3 It was a pm given to me... by a scammer =3

User Image  

Ayrah XD

Sensei Chyaku

Invisible Elocutionist

21,515 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Novice Attacker 150
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am
Wow. This is a lot to read. Well, I better get started. It's a good thing I'm a good reader.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:02 pm
User Image
Okay the newest one going around is the following - Its pretty good actually apart from the fact that its fake.

User Image
~Stupidity killed the cat. Curiosity was framed~User Image

ancantsia

Feline Flatterer

17,925 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

Jon the Horrible

6,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am
Good thread very informative and helpful to people protecting themselves.

A few ideas I do not know if they are any good, but maybe a bit more on content posting.

I noticed a few people fall into the common traps when dealing with posting in and creating threads.

A bit of advice I learned.

When Posting in a thread

Read the first post. Believe it or not a lot of people go into the topic thread and really only read the last page or the last comment. Please read the first post, so you know what is going on.

Text usage. While you did mentioned netspeak, you forgot to mention a few common problems that get posters into trouble. Keep the size of the letters and color of the letters to a reasonable level. To much color Pink if used for the whole post can make it harder to read and a lot of times is just ignored. Rainbow Color is pretty, but serves no purpose. So keep your use of text modification, bold, underline, text size or color to a minimum needed. Also you did not mention about the dreaded CAPS LOCK POSTS

It already covers flamers and trolls, but it does not cover what I consider lurkers for want of a better term.

A lurker is somebody that does not comment just reads the topic. I extended it to mean for me to contain people that post off topic, or post in anyway that does not try to continue the topic discussion. I include Bumping (bring up my post) if the post is still on the first page or if the topic can be considered over or a dead topic.

Maybe talk about some bad habits which causes them to be flamed or other gaians to be rude to them.

Like Quote Trees there is no need for them at most three is a tree. Which means if you are quoting someone and you end up quoting three people as well then you creating a tree.

Check to see if there a sub forum for topics like the one you are creating.

Check to see if there is a similar topic already created by looking at least at the first page's topics.

Just a few things I found that got people yelled at or caused arguments to happen in other forums I been on and even when I was on couple of years ago.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm
Jon the Horrible
This is actually really awesome of you to post. A lot of the points you covered have been touched upon in the Getting Started guide, but I'll try to incorporate what I can into the first page!

That being said, I was thinking about doing a mini-movie on the realities of cybering -- how to avoid it, its risks, etc. What do y'all think?

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Jon the Horrible

6,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm
Instructional video's are pretty cool idea and could work not only for cybering but for other subjects. Some people learn better from seeing pictures or reading words, but there are many that need to hear it said out loud to retain the information and watching it does make more people retain the infromation. Plus if it is made interesting it could provide not only entertainment, but a learning experience. I remember one that I did but never placed online and was lost due to problems on my old computer. I called it "Do not feed the Trolls by Flaming them." If you going to do it it be cool if you did something I thought made or broke such a thing and that was providing a beginning like a real movie you know presented by xxxxx and have a logo to go with it, then at the end make credits with where you got the information and who helped you on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:12 am
Thankss for the info.  

iLollipopss

Generous Giver

12,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100

ChrisDaee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm
Great guide. Way, way back the first time I was on Gaia (so long my old avi doesn't show up if you search), I fell for the Giftbox scam. I didn't understand trading at all, and didn't know the difference between it and giftboxes.

You might add something about raffles and contests that cost money to enter. I fell for a couple in the begining, before I started adding up the ticket costs and comparing them to the prizes. Raffles that have 500 tickets, cost 100 gold to enter, and the prize is 20,000 gold? Over half the gold is profit for the runner, and even if it's not against the rules or technically a scam, it seems pretty grey to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 pm
This is such a great thread. I took the time to read it & was surprised on how innovative some can be in an attempt to steal from others.

I just acquired my Trading Pass, but when they asked for my password I was apprehensive on entering it. I did check the url, and it did say www.gaiaonline.com but I guess I'm overly paranoid. For after I acquired my Trading Pass, immediately I went and changed my password.  

Catholic Joy

Newbie Gaian

4,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Voter 100
  • Citizen 200

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:46 pm
Updated!  
☆ Archives