SETI Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 pm
Would it be possible for other species to have lived on Mars? Because the evidence is pretty convincing that at one time there was water. And doesn't water mean there should be life?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm
It's certainly possible. Especially if your definition of species includes bacteria: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/meteorites/life.html.

There's also the interesting questions surrounding martian methane: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/15/mars-methane-life.html  

grey wanderer

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 pm
the first link didnt work, but the second one was interesting. but i have another question.

If there is life on mars, no im just spit-balling here, would it be too insignificant [meaning its bacteria or tiny creatures without the ability to perform a thought process], or would it be a near-extinction species. ok. here's my point, if it was advanced enough as we are, or even more so, wouldnt it have contacted us by now? but if they havent contacted us, then what level of evolution are they at?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:16 pm
White Angel Raven

If there is life on mars, no im just spit-balling here, would it be too insignificant [meaning its bacteria or tiny creatures without the ability to perform a thought process], or would it be a near-extinction species. ok. here's my point, if it was advanced enough as we are, or even more so, wouldnt it have contacted us by now? but if they havent contacted us, then what level of evolution are they at?

Well, if life could develop on Mars, I suppose they could have contacted us. But, given that the maximum temperature on Mars is about 23 degrees F, and that the atmosphere is less than 1/100th the density of our own... probably only bacteria could ever have been, or will ever be.  

Lenekoi

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 pm
True. the temperature is lower. But hey, who says they cant be like polar bears. a lot of creatures can survive in the cold because they adapted to it. so they might have just adapted to it. at least, thats what i think, because it happens a lot here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm
White Angel Raven
True. the temperature is lower. But hey, who says they cant be like polar bears. a lot of creatures can survive in the cold because they adapted to it. so they might have just adapted to it. at least, thats what i think, because it happens a lot here.

But it's so cold that nothing could have survived long enough to adapt to it. So, no polar bears.  

Lenekoi

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 pm
ohhh. ok.

Has anyone seen the movie Contact? that movie has a few good points about alien life. like that math is the universal language, not one that we speak ever day. i mean, they probably have a whole different way of speaking than us. So, math and numbers are the only truly universal language. right?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 pm
White Angel Raven
Has anyone seen the movie Contact? that movie has a few good points about alien life.

No, but I've read the book. I found its stance on π to be nonsensical.

White Angel Raven
like that math is the universal language, not one that we speak ever day. i mean, they probably have a whole different way of speaking than us. So, math and numbers are the only truly universal language. right?

In my more Platonic moods I believe that, but most of the time I have doubts that mathematics has any semantic content whatsoever (or even that mathematicians should want it to). Without that, it's not any kind of language, universal or not. But it wouldn't be much of a problem for alien communication, because physics can plug that hole.  

VorpalNeko
Captain

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:27 pm
true. but what hole is left? if they can show a mathematical selection of numbers [like primes], and recognize patterns, then we know that they are intelligent enough that together we would be able to create a sort of medium language that both species can understand. right?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 pm
White Angel Raven
true. but what hole is left? if they can show a mathematical selection of numbers [like primes], and recognize patterns, then we know that they are intelligent enough that together we would be able to create a sort of medium language that both species can understand. right?

Yes, that would indicate intelligence, but for true communication, we need something a bit more. To construct our common language, we need some objects that both of us experience. Mathematics by itself doesn't seem to refer to anything, so we need some way to define new terms in an objective manner. For that, we need physics.

To carry the metaphor, mathematics is the grammar, but physics is the language. One can't have a language without at least some grammar, but grammar alone is meaningless. It doesn't say anything.  

VorpalNeko
Captain

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 pm
ohh. now i get it. thank you. that has been bothering me for a while and no one could give me an answer that made sense. actually, no one could give me an answer period.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:09 am
Ramses II's father...

Oh, wrong thread.  

StandingOnTheMoon

Mecill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm
VorpalNeko
White Angel Raven
Has anyone seen the movie Contact? that movie has a few good points about alien life.

No, but I've read the book. I found its stance on π to be nonsensical.

White Angel Raven
like that math is the universal language, not one that we speak ever day. i mean, they probably have a whole different way of speaking than us. So, math and numbers are the only truly universal language. right?

In my more Platonic moods I believe that, but most of the time I have doubts that mathematics has any semantic content whatsoever (or even that mathematicians should want it to). Without that, it's not any kind of language, universal or not. But it wouldn't be much of a problem for alien communication, because physics can plug that hole.

Hmm... I read this thread since it was bumped up. smile It's been a while since I've seen the movie Contact... but it was kind of a fun scifi.

So... I think math is our language for describing numerical/quantitative relations, and physics is applying that to the natural world. So if you have math that is specific enough you can infer what you are talking about physically from the context (like they did in Contact). But aren't there elements of human language that are difficult to quantify such as emotions or intentions? (Things that are cultural.) How would one communicate those things? Do you assume that the aliens also have them? Is there a mathematical theory that could include that?

Regarding Mars- hopefully as people continue to study the nearby solar system they will be able to form a more accurate picture of its natural history and current state. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm
Most humanoid creatures, or intelligent ones for that matter, probably wouldn't form on mars. Though advanced life, possibly more advanced than our life now, may have been formed on mars a long time ago, it's most likely that the only life living on other planets at this time, as least the ones we could reach easily, would be bacteria; although bacteria isn't so far fetched, and if true, can give rise that planets are not just empty, lifeless masses, and that if most planets do have life, or moons even... then we might have the potential of finding other sentient life.

Regardless, the idea that life may be abundant in the universe, whether bacteria or humanoid, and that it's occurred more than once our solar system, will tickle my fancy beyond what I can describe...  

Theoretical Physicist

asdfasdf22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 am
Theoretical Physicist
Most humanoid creatures, or intelligent ones for that matter, probably wouldn't form on mars. Though advanced life, possibly more advanced than our life now, may have been formed on mars a long time ago, it's most likely that the only life living on other planets at this time, as least the ones we could reach easily, would be bacteria; although bacteria isn't so far fetched, and if true, can give rise that planets are not just empty, lifeless masses, and that if most planets do have life, or moons even... then we might have the potential of finding other sentient life.

Regardless, the idea that life may be abundant in the universe, whether bacteria or humanoid, and that it's occurred more than once our solar system, will tickle my fancy beyond what I can describe...

I'll be pretty interested in seeing alien life myself:.
I think that alien life may be well anything actually I think we're probably miraculously missing the mark.//Missing the mark, verb phrase reffering,
meaning roughly, making incorrect guesses, miraculous being sarcastic.  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff